Wreck-Gar Breakage?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by B-Fox, Mar 22, 2011.

1. B-Fox

B-Fox Mahoro de MAMBO!

News Credits:
    I had heard about a step in Wreck-Gar's transformation that requires you use the Auto-morph feature in the leg or risk breaking the toy.

My question is, what breaks and how do you avoid this? All the tips I've seen have been vague and/or contradicting.

Is it the rubber handlebars that break when you move them manually into an upright position to then auto-morph the leg? Or is it the auto-morph itself that'll snap off unless you do the feature properly, and how, exactly, do you activate it and what does it do?

If anybody could put some pictorials on how to transform that leg, it'd be much appreciated.

2. Rahal Stmin

Rahal Stmin Bounty Hunter

Ebay:
    I highly recommend watching Peaugh's review of the figure, he shows it very well

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    The part that breaks by not using the automorph is the the brown bits where the rubber handlebars are pinned to. To fix this, just look at the handlebars. There are two nubs at on the end that plug into the gas tank when in vehicle mode. All you need to do is to take a small knife and cut off those nubs. There's multiple pictures of this in his feedback thread.

4. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    http://www.hasbro.com/common/docume...200c9a66/9C3472885056900B10622AED550C6BD9.pdf

I move the handle bars by applying pressure using my fingernail at the connection point BEFORE moving anything so that they are free from friction. No breakage thus far and I play with him constantly.

I'd also like to note: step 7 shows the handle bars in the vehicle position whereas the very first image in step 8 shows them folded up prior to moving the foot and after moving the foot. Can't really blame anyone for misunderstanding them, It's a terrible angle and image for such a transformation sequence.

5. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I argued a bit with a guy (who didn't even have the figure) about how the instructions actually show the handlebars folded in before you use the automorph feature.

Trust me when I say, if you use the automorph without moving those handlebars first (and/or cutting those little rubber nubs on the inside of the them), you risk stressing the plastic around the hinges. Mine was completely perfect when I got him and I transformed him by using a fingernail to move the handlebars first, then using the automorph. But so many people claimed that you have to use the automorph or it will break. So I said what the hell and tried the autmorph feature without moving any handlebars. Doing so actually stressed the plastic.

So my advice is to use a fingernail to move the handlebars, use a pair of fingernail clippers and trim the rubber nubs, THEN use the automorph feature. It's the only surefire way to prevent any stressing or breakage on that area.

6. Starwave Prime

Starwave Prime Banned

Exactly what I did but both my handlebars snapped off completely! Luckily I was able to exchange him and haven't had any problems as long as I fold the handlebars first, I use a small flat head to push each side back, just as everyone else has described, poor engineering on an otherwise excellent toy.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^ Exactly what I did.

But only because I tried with the automorph feature first and nothing was moving, so I just manipulated the various sections of the handlebars (no rude comments please! :p ) and they kinda just sprung into the legs position by themselves. Then I transformed the rest of the leg afterwards and all was well.

8. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
  9. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I highly recommend avoiding Peaugh like the plague. There have been widespread reports of breakages with RTS Wreck-Gar, including mine. You just have to remember to trim the handlebar and crotch pegs down a bit to relieve stress. You can also file down the axe handle if you want to minimize stress marks on the hands.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I didn't even realise there was supposed to be any kind of automorph. The instructions don't make it very clear on what you're supposed to do with the handlebars; I just figured out it was easier to move the handlebars by yourself before pulling the cowl back. I didn't get any stress marks before pulling the bars up, though, it just wouldn't move.
    Cutting the nubs off the bars is an excellent tip, though. I just tried that myself, and now the bars fold back when you move the cowling.

I've got some stress marks appearing in the hands, but they don't appear to be at risk of actually breaking any time soon.

11. B-Fox

B-Fox Mahoro de MAMBO!

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I didn't wanna ruin an expensive for a Deluxe import that, at the moment will prove difficult/nigh-impossible to replace

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Don't even need a knife. I used a toenail clipper.

13. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone. I just did the mod on mine after I just tried transforming him and noticed the first stress mark try to set in. What in the world were they thinking when they tested these figures?

14. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

One of the handlebars broke off while transforming his leg back. :( 

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i trimmed mine as soon as i had it out of the package, not risking it falling off in my hands