Wow, what the hell was that?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrypticIllusionist, Sep 15, 2008.

1. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

OK, so something happened to me this morning during my computer animation class and I'm still not sure exactly what it was.
    It went like this:
    The teacher was having us do some exercises to counter tendinitis, and at one point, he had us stand up and put our right arm out in front of us. After I did this, I suddenly couldn't control my body anymore. My arm slowly lowered on account of gravity and I couldn't raise it back up; I couldn't move anything at all. I can't even remember the next 5 seconds or so because right after that, I passed out, fell backwards over my chair and banged my head on a desk. I jolted awake quickly enough, but it took a few seconds before I even realized I was at school.
    I went to the school nurse, but there seemed to be nothing wrong with me; she only suggested that I could've possibly stood up too fast and lost some of my circulation, but I was standing for about 7-10 seconds before it happened.
    My brother said it sounded like I may have had a seizure, and the teacher did mention that I jerked a couple of times before I woke up.

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

A seizure isn't simply jerking around a few times. There are several different typs, and a seizure that causes jerking (such as a tonic-clonic seizure) usually is severe enough that there's no question about what happened. My understanding is that it's also pretty rare in people with no other history of seizures.

I'm guessing you stood up too quick, and the circulation got to you. When someone faints, it's not always instant - there can be a brownout period where the vision may dim, awareness drops, body control fades, etc. before the person actually blacks out.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Possibly stoop up too fast, possibly some bad circulation or low blood pressure.

CALL ME SQUIRRELCAR, BITCHES.

4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Yeah. The blood rushed to your extremities when you stood up, and your brain was left behind. You may have weak circulation already which can compound the problem; it's normal to get dizzy and see floaters, but passing out is considerably less common.

If this is the first time this has happened to you though, I would hardly worry overmuch.

5. Jux

In the motion of falling down, you didn't touch and subsequently destroy any electronic devices did you?

6. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

:lolol 

7. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Have your blood sugar checked.

8. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah it's not uncommon for your body to jerk a little after passing out. I've had that happen to me. I took my sister to the dentist to get her wisdom teeth removed. Do to lack of sleep, no food, and seeing her in pain I all of a sudden got really drowsy. I went to reach for the door knob. I got it....

With my jaw. Fell to the ground, and my body apparently convulsed a little bit, then I came to. The nurse gave me some tang, a cookie, a pat on the head and sent me on my way.

The next morning both my sister and I looked like Brando in the Godfather.

9. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Actually, when my hand lowered, it did come to rest on the monitor in front of me. When I regained consciousness, I saw that the monitor was tipped over. I didn't get a chance to look at it then, but when I came back from the nurse, it either wasn't broken or got replaced in a hurry.
    Truthfully, I have absolutely no recollection of falling down; the last thing I remember before I woke up was seeing my hand come to a rest on the monitor.
    Done while at the school nurse. My father is diabetic, but my blood sugar is fine.
    It is the first time; it's just a bit confusing. I am just fine now, but it did shake me up pretty good.

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So you chased a small child around a corn field with an orange slice in your mouth?

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Almost this exact thing happened to me twice in one week in the eighth grade and has never happened again since (I'm 30 now). My doctor at the time said it was a circulation problem.

12. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually, I'm suspecting it was the onset of his Internet Autism.

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh if you're still in school and growing and so forth it could be related to that a bit.

14. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Sounds like you fainted.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I had something similar happen to me last year. I had a big coughing fit because I'd been suffering with a bad chest infection and the next thing I knew I was on my knees by the chair (which I'd slipped off of) being held up by my family while spasming and drooling. It was sorta like coming out of a dream. Apparently I'd been out for almost a minute, but I don't remember anything between starting to cough and then waking up in a haze with people calling my name.

The doctor said it was similar to that weird disorientation you sometimes get when having a big sneeze, but this time I'd got a big jolt of it and it had shut me down.
    Hasn't happened since, but it was a most disturbing experience.

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I kinda did the same thing once a few years back. Spent most of the afternoon lying on the couch playing video games, got up real quick...and went down even faster. I was all *drops* and then all "whoa". I got up, shaked myself off, laughed a bit then grabbed a drink.

Long story short, you stood up too fast.

17. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You've been relying on the the Internet too long for health care, and thus haven't seen an actual doctor in years- one who might have diagnosed your condition a long time ago, without the fainting.

18. Jux

You are

A ROBOT

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hope your alright man, bet it scared the shit out of ya.

Was you embarrased? Hope no hawt chicks saw that.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Hawt chicks would hopefully rush to help. It could be a great pulling tool. Once you've regained consciousness and made sure your wallet ain't been nicked, that is.
    I prefer the term 'Mechanical Gingered Zombie'.

That said, I do have a telly head in my avatar. :)