Wow this seller has over 100 Botcon sets on Ebay

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by HollyW00d, Jun 5, 2011.

1. HollyW00d

HollyW00d Collecting Freak

eBay My World - almar_ent

I never like to throw the term scalper around but lol. Check his completed auctions.

I thought botcon limited sets, guess not. This is ridiculous

2. HighPrime

HighPrime Wake up with the King!

News Credits:
    Yep, that guy's been able to buy-up, mark-up, and resell Botcon and TFcon stuff for years... a good(?) racket if you can get it :D 

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. grandizerGo

grandizerGo Predaking

News Credits:
    :scalper 

4. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I say burn him at the stake. AND TAKE ALL HIS TOYS!

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I saw this post, I assumed that it was probably a scammer...but with that many positives....he's probably legit...crazy

6. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    guy sold 15 fisitrons and has 5 left that means he registered at least 20 times......how does shit like this happen?

7. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the dealer rules for Botcon worked like GI Joe con, then he could buy a toy package for himself and each helper he paid for to bring with him. So if he brought say, 4 people to help him, he could in essence buy 4 primus packages, and the right to buy 4 sets of exclusives.

another explanation is that he's simply buying them from convention attendees. I saw lots of dealers offering to buy people's boxed sets and exclusives cash money right there at last year's convention.

It may be crappy to some what he did, but I don't think he did anything wrong or violated any rules. When you do Transformers as a business (which I've done), you find a way to make a profit and get inventory, and I don't think he's done anything outside of that.

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, even if you physically can't register again or purchace additional product (because your info is taken/because of where you need to do so/other reasons), then I image he could've registered for/with his friends or something, or even had people in the area essentially register for him at a small cost. In other words, he pays them a little bit more than it would normally cost them for the sake of being able to turn a higher profit online.

People do this all the time for Yugioh sneak peak events (to get early product & the participation cards), and I highly doubt it's limited to just these fanbases.

9. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    kinda a shit move to do

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I think so too... but it still happens.

11. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    if the guy basically dropped $12 grand plus to get the box sets and add on sets (20+)

ROCK ON!

christ if he wants to take the time to do that and then make his money back...it's called capitalism.

Every Fan on this site and other sites has the same freedom to sign up for the same box site and get the same addons that he did (of course you have to attend the event) and if he worked it out to get others to go with him to get the extra sets)...

Then he obviously spent a shit load of money and effort to get those sets...more effort than most folks would want to deal with...

so if he ebays the stuff and makes a profit...then good for him.

the scalper term here is inaccurate and cannot be applied...this guy by himself has no chance of buying up botcon sets and making that source disappear and keep other fans from getting the boxed sets or bagged sets.

12. MegaCepticon

MegaCepticon Well-Known Member

Capitalism at its best. This practice is not limited to Botcon, I remember Heroclix exclusives at Wizard World cons, dealers where buying the items from attendees or paying them to get in line. Same thing happened at Star Wars Celebrations.

13. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

yup, don't exactly like what he's doing, but he's just like fp, only on a smaller scale.

14. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He really isn't making much on them now that he has flooded the market himself. ~100 for each set due to taxes and such. Some he is losing money on.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    He's gotta be shill bidding like a motherfucker. Look at how many bids his auctions have versus other Botcon 2011 auctions.

16. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Huh? That's exactly what he did. I have no problem with scalping or capitalism. With that said, if this person purchased 100 of the 1500 convention exclusive sets, he's cornered almost 7% of the entire stock. Therefore taking that opportunity to buy them at 'retail' from other attendees and forcing them, assuming they want the item, to buy said item at an artificially inflated price. The very definition of scalping.

Again, which I have no problem with.

17. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    It's funny how everyone wants limited sets to be unlimited for them, but limited for everyone else.

The seller is a dealer who offered attendees a good deal in trade for their sets - it's an old trick because it works very well. Not everyone is attached to the exclusive sets, especially when they're at a convention with a lot of dealers and a chance to get their personal grail or a hefty discount toward it.

And yeah, definitely shill bidding to try and keep the price up.