Wow... the joys of home ownership

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Man oh man... what a day. I think my TF collecting may need to take a nice back seat for a bit.

This morning I get up, about to take my son to the bathroom and I notice the toilet is a bit weird. For whatever reason, I look in the bathtub and it is full of water. I figure, great, it's a glogged toilet and maybe pretty bad. Try it myself. No luck.

So I call a guy out. He looks at it and says it is a main drain line clog. $450. OK, what can you do. So he takes out this huge snake outside and goes to work. Doing its thing. He hits something, water goes down. Ok, good. Phew, so I think.

He goes to pull the snake out. It's stuck. OK. Has the owner of the company come. Owner works the snake and finally gets it out. Guess what is at the end of the snake. Tree roots. The tree roots grew into the water line and that is what caused the blockage.

So now, I have to pay between $3,500 and $5,000 to get the Sewage Pipe replaced. Oh what fun is home ownership.

Don't you just love it!?

2. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

Why so much?

Long run of pipe or are do u have a slab house?

Either way it sucks.

I hear u man, took me 4 mths with myself or my father here roughly 18hrs a day to get the house to the point where I could move in. The apt. took me another yr or so.

Believe it is copper sulfate down the drain is your friend :)  just like driving copper nails into a tree, however your still SOL if they are blocked solid.

3. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We have exactly the same problem. Don't replace the pipe. Roto root the pipe. That's what we did. You can probably call a professional.

4. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember when I had my house in FL and I had to repair the roof after 5 hurricanes.

That was not fun and not cheap.....I feel your pain.

There's plumbers out there that actually use some kind of xray that xrays the pipes or something like that. (I heard it passing one time; I don't pay attention that much any more since I moved from FL to TX)

Check it out when you get a chance.

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    They did that when they were here. So they got all the way through the roots and the clog. It is flowing fine at the moment.

But doesn't that mean that the pipe is broken and that their is soil contamination from all of our sewage?

6. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah!

Oh how I empathize with you Alucard77 (good number btw). Anyway, we have had this problem more than once with our home! The last time roto rooter was out they pulled out some small roots. You don't have to spend thousands to take care of your problem especially if you can't afford it right now. First of all do you have a cleanout? If you do, then you can save some money by snaking it yourself. If you don't, you can build one yourself if you don't mind spending some time digging down to your line and putting one in yourself! This is something I plan to do once it warms up a bit. You can pay someone to perform a camera service for a few hundred but I've also heard you can rent one. Not sure about that tho. Since they snaked our drain last year, the problem hasn't come back. Before they came out, we had the same problems: black water filling up the tub, sinks backing up when we did laundry/dishes, etc. Not sure about what you can pour down lines for roots but if they're small, then they're at least easy to manage for now. If it's big roots, then you got probs. Sorry to hear about that! Really makes you look forward to coming home everyday and enjoying your castle. Good luck!

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends on the seal between the roots and the pipe, but it is a definite possibility.

8. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I came into this thread expecting a foreclosure...

9. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Thanks guys, this helps as I am doing more and more research. I thought it was the end of the world and something we needed to do asap.

The roots that I did see, were meshy. It wasn't a large root. But yet again, the large part may have gone down.

Also, I don't have well water, we get the water from the city. So should I really rush to get anything done? From the sounds of it, I may not have to.

It's about a 50 foot run. I didn't get another quote just yet. I just wanted to get the water moving today, so did the $450 to get the roots rotored.

10. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

I work at a golf course with an old, shitty irrigation system and we had to replace a good length of main pipe at my mom's house too, so I know the pain of it all. A trench was dug through the front yard and everything replaced from underneath the house nearly to the street because of roots, movement of the pipe and basically just age. Roots will get into ANYTHING, even through a sealed (glued) joint. That doesn't necessarily mean the pipe is bad, but when we took our old pipe out of the ground, it was pretty brittle and would crack like an eggshell under your foot. You NEED to have your drain scoped to see if there is any damage or at the very least, bowing. If the damage is isolated to a small chunk then it minimizes the work to get at the pipe with a small hole, but if that crack has extended down the length of the pipe, it will only get worse.

In response to that big bill, I took out a lot of shrubs that were in my mom's front yard as retribution. Some of those roots were a good inch and a half wide even under the house. Also, if you have a tree near your house, the rule of thumb is that however big the canopy, you can bet the root system is twice as wide.

11. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I had to get some pipes replaced at my rental house and it was around $1,000. There goes my Botcon money. :( 

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Wow, thats like the size of my yard. I have 2 big trees right in my yard. and my yard is not so big.

$1,000 almost doesn't seem bad. Can you send those guys over to NJ.

But seriously, roots in your pipes. Only home owners know about this shit. LOL.

I feel slightly better that I don't need to go out tomorrow and spend $5K. I think I am going to try that root killer and see how far it gets me.

13. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

My neighbor went through the same exact thing. Except the sewage pip blew. I believe his insurance paid for most of the expenses. Including removing the tree in question.

14. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, but at my home I had to get a sub pump at $3,000.

15. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Ouch....

Thanks all for all the advice. I think I am going to get that root killer stuff and see how long that lasts me.

16. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

This thread is making me think twice about buying a house. o_o I really want one, but I'm not looking forward to all the problems that I'll have to take care of that my apt complex currently takes care of for me. >.>

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Wife and I make enough to consider home ownership, and we get asked a lot by family and friends if we are considering it. I do consider it, but I hear so many damn storys about this kinda thing, even among my coworkers. $4k here, $3k there, oh my roof is leaking, oh my foundation is bad, oh water was leaking in the wall. And then add on all the additional expenses of moving in besides the collossal mortgage. It's intimidating to say the least, especially in my area (Seattle) where real estate is still sky high. Sorry about that expense Alucard77.

One of the main reasons I'm at the point of just finally going after a house is simply privacy. Not hearing neighbors walking or playing music sounds really nice.

18. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

THIS. This x1000. I'm so sick of hearing neighbors moving around and talking that even things like dropping 3k on new pipes seems far more appealing to me at this point.

19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Home ownership still has a lot going for it. There are the not fun, unpredictable expenses, but there is a lot of fun to be had in a house with not worrying about anyone else.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Same thing happened to me six years ago but I was living in a rental with a couple friends. I was living in the basement, which was flooded thanks to the roots, so it was still a pain in the ass but of course I didn't have to pay for it...totally sucks man, hope thing work out for you. Being ahomeowner is awesme but I agree some of the things you have to deal with sucks!