Wow... I gotta start customizing....

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I think I have finally seen it all. Check out this auction:

TRANSFORMERS CUSTOM 25TH ANNIVERSARY OVERSIZED PE REFLECTOR by COLOSAL CUSTOMS | eBay

I am not saying this is not a nice job with the paint and all. But $405 for some paint apps and a bit of styrene? I don't see any added articulation and such.

I am not saying I don't appreciate the work the person put into this. The paint is fantastic. I am just saying $405 is a bit nuts for a KO.

2. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Damn right you need to start customising, so do I; my friend sold a custom Masterpiece Swoop, made from a broken Starscream for £1269, what's that, about $2000? Do any of these people buying these high end customs post on here? Oh, and the same friend has that Reflector KO and said the quality of it is awful, so that much money for a beefed up KO is insane.

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    For $405.00 those things better dance!

4. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    QF motherfucking T... seriously.

5. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

U guys need to watch custom Transformer bids more on ebay.

There are quite a few that go for a pretty damn good dollar.

Some I even wanted lol

Those aren't really out of the ordinary.

6. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

I don't get what's so damn special about this mod? And that white stripe across the lens to create a false reflection effect... is just way distracting. Overall someone got taken for a ride, it seems.

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    You know what's sad... this thing didn't even meet reserve and it looks sweet:

[​IMG]

These are the oversized figures. So he did a whole repaint. The repaint is fantastic. Not $400 fantastic. But someone thought it was.

Also, this is the site I saw it on. Nice site:
    http://www.actionfigurecustoms.com/

8. Coldiron

Coldiron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Honestly, I think most custom go for far less than what they were worth if you were to factor in someone's time. They are a labor of love for many.

Just an example:
    A person spent 10hrs on the work, on a $20 figure, then the cost of paints, and materials and sold the figure for $100.

$100
    -$20 figure
    -$20 materials.

That leaves $60 to divide up their time leaving them to make $6/hr doing this.
    Its no way to make a living, especially when it comes to kit bashing etc.. and more high end parts and figures are needed to make the final piece. Its hard to expect a crafts person to work for nothing, especially with the skill and time required to make some of these great customs.
    If this was something totally easy to do and required no talent, then everyone would have awesome customized figures.

9. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Not blaming the customizer here. But he made like $360 on this thing. Not sure the number of hours it took him.

And I don't want to criticize his work, but you an tell he didn't sand down the joints for that to match up perfectly when transformed and such. He did do some Styrene work that I can see. Definately a great job painting.

By the way, this MP Mirage was a steal at $310!

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

10. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They go for a lot (when they do- plenty don't go for much) because they're one of a kind. If people have the money and want them, they have to outbid to win.

If these things were more widely available, (or if everyone could do them) they would go for a lot less.

11. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    I think ya'll remember what Frenzy Rumble made with his DOTM Kustom Ultimate Optimus Prime... you all remember what that sucker finished at right? If I'm not mistaken, bidding ended at a little over $4K.

That's one loot right there...but as Coldiron mentioned, you add up the cost of supplies, etc. it'll raise ya.

12. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

:rip  The Radicons are going to murder you Alucard77. they get really touchy about people seemingly criticising one of their own.

Personally i'll come out and say it: I dislike how the customising hobby has become more and more about producing an item to sell on ebay. not saying that they shouldn't sell on Ebay, just i think it's had a adverse effect on the whole scene.

13. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Not criticizing the man, he did a fantastic job on the paint. I am just saying $400 for them are insanse.

I love radicons. I have like 4 or 5 customs myself. But never paid eBay prices for any of my stuff luckily.

14. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Yeah, everyone should do a custom just to...not appreciate...experience it for themselves. I've made about fifteen figures now, mainly mod's and repaints, I'm nowhere near the level of some of the guys out there to try a scratch build, but even so I've sold a couple for good money. I'm just not very good at parting with them so I tend to make them again for myself.
    It's fun guys, everyone should try it just for themselves, if not for profit.

15. Neekotron

Neekotron We're in Ratbat Country!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    TRUTH! It's a lot of a fun and a great sense of accomplishment when you do something that you and or others find cool. I've been having a hard time letting go of a few I'm working on at the moment. It's definitely something I'd recommend all fans try at least once. Might give an even greater sense of appreciation for something like this Reflector(even tho the KO is a POS).

16. mrdecepticon

mrdecepticon Decepticon Leader

I do customs.i dont sell them.I do think they go for alot,but then Hot Toys and Sideshow stuff are overpriced,customs are one of a kind just bare that in mind.And they are usually up for bidding,the customizer hasn't set it at that price,it has just gone up to that.

Ive seen pieces of art go for alot more than that and they look like shit,most customs like this look fantastic.Its up to the people bidding if they want it in their collection for that much as it is one of a kind and that factor will always appeal to collectors with a big wallet.

Customizing is great,i recommend it to everyone to at-least give it a try,as you never know you may find a hidden talent.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Custom auctions on eBay have actually been quite common since the first live action movie 5 years ago, possibly even longer. It's not like this is anything new.

18. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I'm a Radicon and I'm whole heatedly agreeing with you. I remember a time were radicons was all about spreading the knowledge. Great work in progress threads and discussing and sharing techniques with each other. Now it's all "look at what I made, it's for sale here!" and the artists are more afraid of sharing their techniques as it will contend with them on the market.

That said, a lot of the radicons are real artists with what they do. And they deserve to be acknowledged.

iDD

19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You know there are still guys that post WIPs as well as tutorials. I mean, it's not like the entire community has devolved into that salesmanship mentality. I'm not denying that it happens, but we still have a solid community of guys that are willing to help one another out.

20. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay: