Wow, DOTM is a little cheaper than I expected

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Mar 22, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I was originally under the impression that DOTM would've been over the 200 million dollar range and maybe even in the 300-400 million dollar range with all of the visual effects and epic shooting locations (like D.C., Chicago, and Kennedy Space Center) but apparently, it was only budgeted at around 195 million. Now from what I understand, The Amazing Spider-Man will be over the 200 million dollar price point, and if so, then a movie with giant robots and explosions would've been a little cheaper than a movie about a guy who slings around NYC on webs.

2. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    With over 1 million at the box office, all i have to say is that Bay better bring on some killer shit in tf4 and push it to it's limits!

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Money would be well spent hiring competent writers than on flashy graphics. No more "empty calorie" movies, please.

4. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm looking forward to see how Bay could do a low-budget film as opposed to most of his past ones in Pain and Gain

5. FeelingLuckyPnk

FeelingLuckyPnk Decepticon Punks!

Whatever the budget, I'm sure Bay won't disapoint with special FX

6. DJPrime39

DJPrime39 mUnKY

true

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Bay is [ironically enough] known for economizing money on his movies, while they are blockbusters, he knows how to spend considerably less than other directors on the same chair.

8. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Ha bro, it made over 1 billion:D 

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    As Balder already pointed out, Bay may not be the most competent filmmaker, there is no denying the man's business skills. He's one of the most efficient directors out there. Hiring Michael Bay as a director comes with certain guarantees:

1.) Explosions.
    2.) Sunsets.
    3.) Car chases.
    4.) Most likely a poorly made movie.

But, more importantly, Hollywood cares about these guarantees:

1.) The movie will make a s**ttonne of money.
    2.) Your movie will be delivered on time.
    3.) Your movie will be made under budget.
    4.) He will negotiate many deals with various companies that will gain him/the studio(s) marketing deals, promotional deals, future investments and all of that other business and moneymaking stuff.

It's little things like making certain decisions regarding filming locations, product placement, marketing and many other things that, when combined, take a significant chunk out of the budget which - as I said - Hollywood loves. Bay runs a tight ship. Rarely is there ever wasted time when it comes to set ups and filming and whatnot. Now, if only he was that "concerned" with the coherency of the stories he's attempting to tell.

10. G1DeadEnd

G1DeadEnd Bring on 5, 6, 7 & 8!

News Credits:
    I thought it was amazing when Transformers 1 came out in '07, that it only cost 150 million. I also liked that all the cars that blew up on screen, or were destroyed were flood damaged cars (from New Orleans), -- basically they were totalled/irreparable, yet looked fine.

11. Omegaprime90

Omegaprime90 Well-Known Member

The car chase was something that I did like about the first movie. It's pretty much expected for something like this, and you don't usually see it in the series. Plus it wasn't overdone in that movie, or repeated in the last 2. The explosions however were
    Edit: I guess there was somewhat of a car chase in ROTF, but they were just run off the road by cops for like 2 seconds, so that doesn't really count.

12. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I think that TF4 should have a budget of at least 250 million just so we can see even more epic robot action. They'd be crazy not to give the film a budget higher than the last two films because they know they can make that money back easily.