Wouldn't the Alts. be more popular now, since the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by manyoufactsure, Aug 27, 2007.

1. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

With the accurate details of the Alternators, I would think that the Alternator line would fly off the shelf now, since the popularity of the movie, and could be even more popular if they did a toon of them. They have the molds already made all they need is a good story and accurate toon/cgi representations.

Anyone else agree?

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The problem with Alternators is that they're all cars and thay all have a $20 pricepoint. That's not enough variety for a full-blown toy line.

3. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

That, and if they did a cartoon, it would be dull for the kids. Mostly because there really isn't that many molds, just repaints.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

We'll see how well they do sell with the recent restock of the shelfwarming wave of Alternators at WM.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:

^^^^^yep.

6. enduser0001

enduser0001 Autobuddy

They could repackage them with starfish hands and call them movie bots.

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also, keep in mind the licensing issues with Alternators. They couldn't just go back and use the old molds/characters in a TV show because their licensing agreements only covered 3D renders of the character and not 2D renders such as a cartoon or comic book (Hasbro stated as much at Botcon one year). So, it really wasn't a possibility.

Also, like foster said, given the limitations that the very nature of the line put on the line itself ($20 price point/only cars or other urban vehicles that could fit into the price point) it really didn't give kids or collectors a very wide selection even as a subline let alone attempt to be a mainline series. It would get old really fast and it actually did IMO... it's just too niche of an already niche market.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    the best answer I could give is "maybe, maybe not"

Those Wal-Marts and wherever that restocked Alts during the movie toy shortage - are they 'flying off the shelves'?

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I stopped by Wal-Mart earlier today and passed by the TF section. There was a noticeable drop in the number of old restocked Alts, but they were by no means sold out. It was mostly just the Optimus Primes that were gone. Skids, Ric, and Rollbar were still hanging in there.

10. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The local Fry's also still has a huge pile of ricochet, skids, and rollbar that they've had for 6 months. Alt optimus.. bleh, such a huge disappointment.

I could only imagine something like the alts being popular if they made larger scale(like maybe 1:18 instead of 1:24) versions in diecast with far better designs, closer to leader class OP and brawl in terms of complexity. But even then, you'd still only have what, ironhide, ratchet, jazz, bumblebee, and barricade?

11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Because the six inch Titaniums have shown us that diecast is what the general public really wants :rolleyes2 

What alts would need in order to be more popular is to lower the price tag a bit, and inject the line with more characters that were used (or had namesakes) in the movie. Casual buyers are going to see Riccochet et al and say "Who?? Why the hell should I care about this guy?"

12. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think this was one of the largest problems that Alternators had towards the end of it's lifespan. I mean, most collectors went 'Ricochet?', 'Rollbar?' 'WTF?!' and we know who these guys are or, more correctly, who they're supposed to be. However, the average joe-schmoe buyer or a kid (who's Hasbro's target audience even with a collector oriented line) is probably even more confused and could care less about the character.

13. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Diecast is great, most titaniums were crap. The binaltech line in japan was popular and there's a pretty good size secondary market for them, guess what, they were diecast and plastic. Again, I was referring to something with say, a $40 retail pricetag, not a $15 msrp.

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Not only that, but they needed a deluxe size for the minibots, and expansion of the line into something other than cars, a jeep, and a truck. Oh, and entirely new molds for the Cons, which didn't happen until the end of the line.

15. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, the thing about having a $40 retail price would be that we'd probably see an increase in individual quality and hopefully better choices made for what character will be whatever vehicle they've licensed, but than you'd have the inevitability of having fewer releases because of the massive production costs and what not and the Alts were already few and far between as is compared to a mainline. Not to mention, you could never do a show with a line like that.

16. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Hmm. I was thinking the OP has a point, and perhaps the designers of the alternators can apply themselves to alternator-like toys, but with jet, tank, beast modes, etc.

17. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

If i see one more duplicate mold ill scream...alternators would be a hundred times better if there were more body molds... new paint and new head sculpts are nice... but after 2 of a mold i get annoyed.

18. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yes they would be more popular but not to the retailers or corporate buyers for them. Honestly I thought it would be an ideal opportunity to make alternator versions of the movie characters.

19. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Yea, but I don't care about them doing a show. The MP series doesn't need a new mold every month, and they can spend a significant period of time to engineer them. Maybe not for the current movie, but have at least part of them done for the launch of the sequel? It's not like the higher priced items don't sell, and they don't need 30 different ones, they just need to not suck.

20. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Actually, from what I remember Binaltech didn't do all that much better in Japan than Alternators did here.