Wouldn't it be better if TF Prime just dropped the CGI an went traditional animation?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by HoosierDaddy, Aug 13, 2011.

1. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    Would all of you tune out if they did that? I wish they would drop the CGI and go with animation just so we could get a better schedule and have the ability to introduce more characters without the woes of CGI. I don't know, maybe I'm alone?

2. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's CGI?

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I'd probably still watch it, but I'd honestly wait for something more visually pleasing, especially in a time when good cgi shows are next to nonexistent.

4. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely hope so. The CGI is one of the best features of the show. If anything, it's certainly the reason we can get such dynamic fight scenes.

And as always, I'm a staunch opponent of the idea of adding characters simply for the sake of more faces. So loosing the distinctive visuals of the show in order to facilitate a more bloated cast definitely does not sit well with me.

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Well, if it makes easy for the environments to look more alive.

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    This. The CGI is too good and one of the best features of the show. I'm sure season 2 will have a much more smoother release schedule. If it doesn't? Then the HUB is screwed.

7. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    That's what I'm thinking too. It would allow for environments that aren't so dead and lifeless and the ability to introduce new characters more often when/if needed and it would be cheaper and easier to produce thus helping the scheduling problems.

8. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the CGI but it seems to be causing so many problems that I would give it up to make the show better overall. You know?

9. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No thank you. TF Prime looks great because of the CGI that allows the robots to look so detailed and dynamic at the same time. I don't care if we don't have a bunch of background humans or not if the main characters look that good and the fights that heavy-metal.

Plus we don't need a bunch of new characters just for the sake of having them. The show pretty much told us Cybertron is dead and the race is scattered around the stars. It wouldn't make sense and wouldn't be satisfying anyway. Look at TFA. People were happy at the 300000 something characters introduced in Season 3..... but you had to have a freaking separate Almanac to MAKE THEM characters, because they weren't characters, they were voice less cameos/ voice cameos with 10 seconds screentime.

10. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

The CGI is amazing. And how pissed off do you think people would be if the animation made such a 180? The CGI is part of what makes the show so interesting, to take that away doesn't make sense.

11. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, I think the CGI look gives Prime its distinctive identity. I'll be willing to give them some time to come up with good looking and lively environments. If I remember correctly, Beast Wars was pretty bland in season 1 too.

I know that Transformers Prime doesn't have the same budget, but I've always said that Star Wars: The Clone Wars shows how you can make a show in CGI and still make it alive and breathing. Each Clone Wars episode is full of background characters and lively flora and fauna. Transformers Prime could potentially be the same in scope.

I think that was the part of Animated's appeal though, it was great to spot the thousands of homages hidden in the show.

12. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That appeal is only relevant to hardcore fans though. For people (myself included) who aren't that interested in Transformers as a whole, all those cameos and homages are actually kinda obnoxious.

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I´m a hardcore fan and I barely cared. Some of the designs were silly too.

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was nice, but what I'm trying to say is that smaller cast means more screentime for characters instead of a "hi and bye" mountain.

15. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess, but they weren't that obtrusive were they? They just sort of hung in the background, for the fun of fans, but not to the distraction of less interested viewers.

Yeah that's true, it makes it a very Beast Era show. One of the things I really loved about the beast era were how well developed the characters were, with plenty of screentime for each.

16. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    The CGI makes the show. nuff said.

17. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

No. Thank you, but no.

18. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Unfortunatley as its a show promoting a toy line they NEED to keep adding new faces to sell new toys. Its just the nature of the business.

Hasbro have also been changing the long established trend by changing the whole show every 2 or 3 years so they can launch new versions of the same characters over and over.

I can't see them changing that format any time soon, so don't go hoping for a long life for prime, especialy if they keep up with the huge gaps in episode schedule

19. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Computer
    Generated

20. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Absolutely, CGI is something that definitely gets better with time. Check out the difference from BW Season 1 to Season 3, those textures and new assets were leaps and bounds better. Fast forward 15 years, we have Prime with quite an impressive first season. Of course the cost of the CG has limited them in ways but I cannot imagine them not getting better and more efficient with it in coming seasons.