Would you welcome 3rd party toys that are not G1 ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RedAlert Rescue, Sep 11, 2011.

?

RE: 3rd Party toys that are not G1/Classics based

1. Yes I'd buy something like that

42 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. No I don't have any interest in that

17 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. No I don't buy Unofficial toys of any kind.

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Other option or 'I don't know'

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Would you welcome 3rd party toys that are not G1 ?

For example looking at not-Impactor if something along similar lines was done to make a new Armada Starscream Deluxe or a remake of Demolishor or Cyclonus - would you buy that ?

Or perhaps if someone made an Energon Optimus Prime that can link with drones or Voyager combiners - or a two up of Rodimus to complement it ?

Or what about a Beast Wars Character say deluxe season One Rattrap & Terrorsaur toys. or even Tankor, Optimus Primal,Nightscream, Jetstorm, Obsidian & Botanica and the Diagnostic drone or a new Silverbolt?

People have I know been pondering if Third parties can make more organic looking toys - so why not a beast era character ?

Anyway post in the poll and discuss - is it G1 forever with third parties - or do you not ever want to buy a third party toy - you tell us.

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably not. Only one I could think of that I would be interested in is a cartoon accurate re-shell of Animated Oil Slick. Most other lines I either have no interest in, or I'd rather have add-on kits than full on figures.

3. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    There's more Transformers characters of toys that are not G1 than are surely (if you count Minicons) ?

Would people discount them all ?

4. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I think a lot of those things are "too new" to warrant a redo. I'm not necessarily a fan of the figures or eras you mentioned.

Keep in mind, G1 was made with very old designs and styles. Part of the appeal of classics is that we're getting our beloved G1 characters, but with many of the articulation features and such that figures in BW/Unicron universes had.

While I don't think I'd be interested tentatively, I will say that if any non-G1 figures deserve a classics figure, it would be the TV show cast of Beast Wars. As awesome as the TV show was, I really thought the majority of the main cast figures were terrible. Either they hardly resembled their tv show counterparts, or the amount of kibble or shell needed to make believable beast modes ended up being a detriment to the robot mode. I didn't think that the BW line really became awesome toywise until the Transmetals started coming out.

5. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And to made one further note, one thing that could be done (and made to work), is do a Beast Wars commemorative anniversary line. Do maybe a summer of waves doing all the cast with a correct scale to each other, or at least make them in scale appropriately to Depth Charge, Optimal Optimus and Dragon Megatron.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I'd kill for a 3rd party company to make a classics style G2 Electro. I love the alt. mode and the robot mode has some unique details, but finding an original is both ridiculously hard and super expensive for all the risk thanks to good 'ol GPS.

7. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I would totally be on board fir Beast era and Animated characters.

A correct Nightscream
    Botanica
    Diagnostic Drone
    A larger BM Silverbolt
    A larger BW Rhinox
    Well you can update the BW cast and I will be on board. But these things are going to have to be awesome, Beast era guys are not like making G1 figures.

As for animated, same thing, only if they look like the show, liek the official toys do.

8. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I'll buy anything that appeals to me, if the price range is reasonable.

9. Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers Animated 3rd Party! We want it! :) 

I already have some accessories (AllSpark, Stasis Handcuffs, Ratchet Magnets, Sari, Prof. Sumdac, Fanzone, etc) and of course will buy Animated Powermaster and Stunticons Combiner Add-on.

And I have hope that someone will start to do new TFA molds :) 

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I might be on board for some decent Beast Wars/Machines or Animated stuff.

I'm very curious to know how the original concept stuff by FansProject and others do, Will a design profit on its own merit, or will they not net enough sales without IP borrowing?

11. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably the most viable option would be the Beast Wars/ Beast Machines stuff, but That would be tough, since those were some of the most accurate show to toy TFs ever produced in my opinion. But some could be redone better. Rhinox, Ratrap.

Maybe 3rd party Alternators would do well too. LOL, if 3rd party companies don't fear toy companies and their copyrights, why care about auto companies and their license. Would make the Alt collectors happy to get real car versions of the G1 cast I'm sure.

12. Ash-T

Ash-T Well-Known Member

I'd love to have deluxe Armada Wheeljack - with yellow transparent swords...

13. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love what 3rd parties have been doing so far, especially Fansproject, but I wish more would do original designs. I'm pumped for Heartmaster, but even after that I hope FP does some more original work. We've seen what they did with the latest Causality insecticons, but I want to see more.

I feel like if a 3rd party company really wants to impress the TF community, they will do it with original designs.

14. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Honestly, I don't understand why there aren't many 3rd parties going for Animated. Between toyless characters in the show and the designs in the Almanacs, there is a goldmine of cash to be made in that stuff.

Trust me, if someone like iGear or Fansproject made something like an Animated Slipstream, or a big Omega Supreme, they would have tons of money.

15. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

As long as it's well designed.

16. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I'd like to have a toy of the Optimal Megatron from Beast Machines preferably in scale with Optimal Optimus. It should be more than just Optimus with Megatron's face. In the cartoon he said he also modified it so it doesn't have a beast mode. The Titanium version of Optimal Optimus doesn't have a Beast mode but it doesn't have Megatron's face and it's not in scale. Also the molding on the shoulders in the show was smooth where the Optimus version had Maximal insignias in circles.

I'd also buy a Grand Mal Megatron if it had a similar transformation to that of the one on the show rather than the non existent robot mode and spider legs of the official Megabolt Megatron toy. It doesn't have to be a big toy, could still be a deluxe size as long as the head mode doesn't have spider legs anymore and it transforms into the space station/ship thing like in the cartoon rather than a robot mode that we never actually see. That ship mode was only seen once in the cartoon but I'd rather have a transforming toy of it rather than a transforming toy into something we never see.

17. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    I would be very unlikely to buy a non G1/G2 figure unless I was getting them as a stand-in for a G1/G2 figure. My classics collection is filled out with a few Animated (like Swoop) and Movie (like Space Case) toys, but they are representing their G1/G2 selves when they enter my collection.

Obviously if it was an amazing toy, I'd give it some thought though. Basically the older the source material, the more interested I'd be.. so if there was some kickass Optimus Primal out there, I'd probably grab it.

It's not that I don't like later series', it's just that I was born in 1979.

18. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    How about...

G2 Electro that isn't made entirely of gold plastic? :D 

19. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I picked the "Other" choice for a good old fashioned "I don't care."

"3rd Party" companies are welcome to make what they can and will sell. Doesn't mean I'm necessarily going to buy it.

20. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

as nice as they are i dont buy the 3rd party toys, however if we ever got somethig like ani scrap and mix id buy them both no hesitations