Would You Watch a Beast Wars Live Action Movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Anti-Venom, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Peter Jackson?! Please no. Everybody has their favorites, but pleaaase no!
    No TF version of LOTR.

2. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

No I wouldnt. Not until they get their asses and produce something that isnt tottal bs first.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

Id like a beast wars movie about as must as I would like zipping my balls up in my pants zipper.

5. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Let's wait and see how Disney does with live-action Lion King :p 

That actually would be fun. I think that wild animals might be less conspicuous than alien robots from space. I mean in the first case you call the vet, in the second case - National Guard :lol 

The animal form and its pseudo-organic tissue protected Maximals from raw Energon radiation (I assume that their vehicle forms did not have that feature). It might serve similar role in modern times or perhaps protect them from being detected by human technology since they would appear as animals. Going with this course they might as well be robots in human disguise, but why be a human, when you can be a t-rex? :p 

That would be the most likely scenario. Inserting Maximals and Predacons into modern world could be interesting, but how would it work? The closest to this would be TMNT movies: characters slightly bigger than humans, hiding from plain sight with animalistic motif.

Also:

6. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I watch anything Transformers, so yeah.

7. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I would not want to see BW set in the modern world. It's about as generic a concept as you can get and it goes against the core story of BW, which was that both sides were stuck on a primitive, empty (of other sapient life) world, caught in an awkward war where the death of even one troop, or a faction recruiting one troop, could shift the balance of power--as each faction had only a handful of fighters and absolutely no reliable way to recruit more. It's a story about war, but also just trying to survive in the wilderness.

The Bayverse, I can't say that I like it, but I will be fair to it and say at least it has "The Autobots protect the humans, Decepticons try to smash humans" motif, which is at the core of G1 (which seems to be where most of its inspiration comes from). I don't think it's very well done, but at least it has that much. But if you take Beast Wars and set it in the modern world, then . . . what's the point? IMO it would end up as either "Bayverse 2.0: Now With Animals" or, with a more comedic take, "Alvin & the Chipmunks, Beast Wars Edition."

Also I am just really tired of the "but we must PROTECT THE HUMANS" subplot in Transformers. Let's see more of the Cybertronians fighting for their own ideals, for their own survival, for their own ends. Man, even when the Maximals were protecting the early hominids in BW, it was to protect their own future from being rewritten.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  8. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Just because the cartoon was set in prehistic times doesn't mean a movie would have to be. They could change the setting for the movie.

Also there technically is a live action element in Wall-E. At the start of the movie he was watching Hello Dolly which is a real movie based on a play and they used actual video from the movie, that was not animated. Also the historical recording that the captain was watching was played by, I believe David Hasselhof in a live recording, not an animated character. The overweight future humans were animated but any time their present day ancestors were shown, those were real people.

Anyway... the Jungle Book is considered a live action remake even though Mougly is really the only live action character in the movie. He shot everything in front of a green screen so even the jungle wasn't real. And there's talks about doing a live action Lion King the same way and there are no humans in that.

I kind of agree with you that typically live action means that the majority of the movie is actually filmed with real people in front of real backgrounds. Wall-E wouldn't qualify because like 99% of the movie is animated. But Jungle Book apparently counts because it looks real despite 99% of the movie being animated.

It seems like the difference between live action and animated has changed in recent years so now an animated movie can qualify for live action so long as it's realistic looking. If it looks like a cartoon then it continues to fall into animation.

Anyway that being said, to answer the original question. I would like to see a Beast Wars movie but not if it's in the same style as the Michael Bay movies. I just picture Optimus Primal transforming like Alice from RotF. That just isn't realistic, it's far too complicated a transformation. Notice Hasbro still hasn't made a toy of that. They need to look like they can actually transform. Hasbro needs to be able to make toys of these things that aren't either overly complicated so that kids can't transform them or overly simplistic so that they're not screen accurate.

They can update the designs, I'm fine with that. I'm just tired of these things being needlessly complicated to transform. One thing I would like to see in an updated design, is for their robot mode parts to not be visible in beast mode. That's kind of difficult to do but maybe with some updated designs they could figure out a way to make that work. Then use those designs for the movie and the toy line. This way we get screen accurate toys with no weird robot kibble and realistic transformations in the movie. There are always cheats in either the toys the animation or both and for a live action realistic movie I would like to see transformations that work for both toys and animation without cheats.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    The irony was Beast Wars originally took place in modern times with giant-sized animals. Primal was a King Kong-sized ape fighting a normal sized T. Rex Megs.

I actually wouldn't mind a BW movie where, say, a very small group of like wilflife researchers encounter this secret battle between the Transformers in a jungle or remote island or something. Obviously I'd prefer an all-TF BW movie first, but I'm not immediately opposed to a modern setting ala the original bios.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TeleportingBob901

TeleportingBob901 Well-Known Member

I would give it a watch. It would need the appropriate updates without feeling forced with said updates. Also let the film do something different instead of what the other TF movies have been doing for years now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yup

12. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

Yeah, I would be open to a Beast Wars live action movie.

In fact, I would actually prefer it taking place in the modern day. I think a Beast Wars film taking place in the present would be a great way to connect Transformers, humans, and Earth's animals. I would love to see a Transformers film where some Maximals and maybe even some (but definitely not all) Predacons develop an affinity for the animals their alt modes are based on, and the Maximals want to protect Earth's creatures and not just humans. There can be a wildlife conservation message as long as it doesn't get too preachy. I would love that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SaberPrime

One thing I always thought would be an interesting idea if Beast Wars was set in modern day is if some Maximals actually didn't even want to be part of the war and disguised themselves as pets. Maybe something happens that puts their human owner in danger forcing them to join forces with Optimus Primal.

This would really work better if it's set in a small town with a large forest area near by where the Maximals and Predacons can fight without being spotted by humans. They would transform into wild animals while others would transform into domesticated animals to live with humans away from the war zone. Maybe a family end up going camping right in the middle of the war zone. Maybe they spot some animals who aren't natives of the local area which would give a clue that something isn't quite right without exactly blowing their cover.

Or like another person said, maybe some researchers go to a remote island were this war has been happening. Or maybe they're hunters. They could still have a pet with them who maybe in the beginning acts a little odd like the dog realizes where they're going and tries to turn them around. The dog would stay in beast mode for most of the movie even when other Transformers have already revealed themselves to the humans. Only at the last possible minute when he has no other choice but to show himself does the dog actually transform to robot mode. Later Primal reveals that he knew the entire time their pet was a Maximal but didn't want to force him to revieal himself before he was ready.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SaberPrime

Oh as for what to call the dog Maximal, they could go two ways with it.

Either name him after an existing dog Transformer so older fans will realize right away that he's a Maximal but the general audience will still be surprised when he finally transforms or just make him a new character so that no one will be able to guess he's not a real dog.

15. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Would it be like Arthur Conan Dolye's The Lost World or Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth? It's interesting, but how would they explain the lack of contact with human civilization? Would they willingly resign from such adventage?

Maximals and Predacons traveled back in time to prehistoric Earth what if the human cast could travel there, too? Or to an alternate jungle world like in Stargate? On one side you have a primal, uninhabited world on the other a civilization capable of interstellar/interdimentional travel that could be the Transformers' ticket to home.

Maximals and Predacons are small (Optimus Primal is supposed to be 9 ft). It would be interesting to see how they compare to humans.

The only think I want to be preserved from Beast Wars are the characters. I can deal with a totally different story.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SaberPrime

Well they are meant to robots in disguise so even if they're not totally secluded from humans chances are they would try to maintain beast mode whenever humans are present.

That seems to be the one thing both sides agree on though their reasons for wanting to remain hidden from humans may differ. Maybe the Maximals just don't want to involve them in their war and keep it secret for their protection. The Predacons likely just don't want advanced Cybertronian technology to end up in human hands and are only protecting themselves by staying hidden. They wouldn't care about humans getting caught in the crossfire but they wouldn't want a bunch of primitives getting ahold of their technology.

What I'm really currious about is how they're going to work in the whole robots in disguise aspect when Megatron's a T-Rex and they have other characters who are out of scale with their beast modes. I think a secluded island would be better for the dinosaur characters unless they decide to go with the Alligator Megatron just so all the beast modes actually exist in the present day. It's also possible if they're going to redesign the characters anyway that this time around they could avoid things like giant purple spiders that don't exist in nature.

In the original Beast Wars Cheetor and Tigatron were really the only characters in scale with their beast modes. And most of them had realistic colors, at least on the Maximal side but the Predacons were often so far off that there was never any chance of mistaking them for real animals. I'd really like to see the Predacons redesigned more than anything. Keep the robot mode coloring so they're still recognizable but change the beast mode colors to something that actually exists in nature. Though if they make the size more realistic then that kind of makes the insect ones a little useless. Plus Optimus and Megatron wouldn't be close in size if they have to be in proportion to their beast modes.

My reasoning, if they don't look natural anyway then what's the point of making them have organic beast modes in the first place? Might as well give them robotic beast modes if the size and/or coloring doesn't exist in nature.

17. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd expect a lot of butthurt BW fans when they get to suffer what fans of vehicle transformers have dealt with for 10 years. Characters looking nothing like the show, characters not frombthe show or show characters missing. Enjoy hippopotamus Rhinox. Also Primal will throw poop at some point. Megatron will most likely not be a T Rex

• Like Like x 1
  18. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Well-Known Member

If it's done along the lines of the modern Planet of the Apes movies, that could be amazing. With a CG Gorilla, Cheetah and Rhino that are as close to photo-realistic as Cesar and his apes, then they suddenly transform into robots? What kid wouldn't love that?

19. SaberPrime

That's exactly why I said not if it takes place in the Michael Bay universe. They would most likely get Optimus right and completely screw up everyone else.

Plus with the needlessly complicated transformations they would most likely some how end up with fully robotic robot modes with little to no indication of their organic beast modes just like the vehicle Transformers often have little to no indication that they actually transform. I hate those designs, they need to stop doing that.

If Beast Wars looks like this crap. If there's any connection to Bay, I'm not going to watch the movie, I won't buy any of the toys. I'm barely putting up with these movies as it is but if Bay messes with Beast Wars that's it, I'm done with this entire franchise.

I wouldn't mind some changes as obviously I've suggested some in this thread, but Bay goes way to far to the point where it's not even really transformers anymore. It's something else entirely with Transformers just name slapped over it. New characters, fine with that, updated designs fine with that too, different setting, still good, taking a well known popular character and name slapping over a generic robot design that was stolen from an entirely different franchise, screw that shit. Writing a story that has little to do with the title characters screw that too. Having plot holes the size of the grand canyon, screw that shit. Boring, sensless stupid characters screw that shit.

There has to be some recognizable aspect of the original Beast Wars. If King Kong vs Godzilla looks more like a Beast Wars movie then the actual Beast Wars movie I will not watch it. If the fan made fake trailers look better than the real trailers I will not watch it.

Actually I might watch it once but I won't be paying for it. I'll just wait till it's avalible for free streaming.

Beast Wars is one of the best shows in TF history, they gotta do it right or not at all. We need a total reboot before they should even attempt to do anything with Beast Wars.

20. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    They could set the movie in the distant past. The absence of earth vehicles in those times being a reason for choosing beast modes.
    And they can set it in Afrika cause that's where most of the big beasts live: Rhinoceros, Gorilla, Cheeta?, There are eagles there too, Tigers, Scorpions, Tarantulas?, Black Widows...
    There used to be powerfull kingdoms in Afrika in the 1400 - 1800's with cities marked by sophisticated architecture that did trade with the Spanish, Portugese before the age of Empirialism.
    You could have a lot of amazing cinematography apart from the nature shots.
    If the Predacons strongarmed one of those kingdoms to attack another (aided by the Maximals) you would have a situation where you would be forced to have several Cybertronians interact with humans (more chances for Cybertronian characterdevelopment) and you would have epic battle material.
    BW was all about Megs making a gamble to change history.
    What if he stole some experimental time-space portal technology, but in the battle that brought their ships down he lost part of the portal and it was salvaged by the Kingdom he is forcing the other Kingdom to attack?
    If he got his hands on the portal he would be able to swamp earth with a Predacon army from the future, find the original Megatron and the Allspark and soundly defeat the Autobots and their human allies with his knowledge of past events.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1