Would you want to see Sci-Fi/Fantasy elements in the Movieverse?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Julliant, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

How about it? There's a rumor of Jetfire being able to create wormholes for instantaneous transport, so that's just like teleportation. If it's true, could be a tone being played into for the movies down the line including ROTF.

Would you like it? There are many things they could put in, perhaps in place of abilities present in G1/other continuities but wouldn't work on the big screen, such as mass-shifting and pile-drivers. How about invisibility? Phasing? (think Albino twins from the Matrix: Reloaded)

How about the weapons? Blackout's EMP weapon was badass in the movie. I would certainly like some lasers and flashy energy-based weapons. I also hope to see the bots actually run out of ammo. :redface2: 

2. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I thought Transformers has always been sci-fi?

3. Ajax 013

Ajax 013 Well-Known Member

I think the Movies work by being heavily based in realism (Many of the weapons being actual firearms or missiles), though certainly, some G1 abilities, like warping, invisibility etc, could be some welcome addittions, not many 'special powers' have been seen in the film yet, outside of Blackout's EMP.

4. Julliant

Ironhide showed what he could do with his cannons against Sector 7, too bad the shot was so brief any non-fan who only watched once must have no idea what happened.

5. sondril

sondril Well-Known Member

I'm all about new idea as the films go on, in fact, any sequel would suck otherwise. But I think it's also important that it is contain to that which futhers story and scope.

I don't want to see any gratuitous leaps that lead to a divergence that destroys our suspension of reality and falls away from what we wanted from the series in the first place.

Basically, if it starts to look too supernatural or defiant of natural law they should just leave it out. The world they are creating has to have rules, even if those rules don't completely correspond with real physical law. Otherwise it will become a convoluted, chaotic mess.

6. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    And Rachet's ability to sense things.

7. sondril

And Bumblebee's ability to pee...

8. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    You don't need laser guns and warp holes to be considered science-fiction.
    The Invisible Man is science-fiction after all.

Giant alien robots that were given life by a giant cube already sounds pretty weird to me.

9. Julliant

Of course, but it'll have to progress from the sentient robotic organisms in disguise concept (though that's barely been touched in the first movie but I digress). I'm wondering if they'll try to go further, almost Star Trek/Wars-ish.

10. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    :horse: :deadhorse: :horse: :deadhorse: :horse: :deadhorse: 

Oh, and...

:horse: :deadhorse: :horse: :deadhorse: :horse: :deadhorse: 

11. sondril

True dat, but now we have that concept. A story has to be at least somewhat grounded or else it becomes an uninteresting free-for-all. Add to many sifi/fantasy elements to a story without establishing your ground rules and you may as well retitle it, "Whatever the Hell We Could Come Up With."

12. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    the Transformers always had special abilities of their own, so I wouldn't mind seeing more of these pop up in the movie universe. It worked in G!, it works in Animated (albeit more superhero-esque), it will work in the movie universe.

13. sondril

What I really hate is when a character becomes so powerful that they need a MacGuffin to defeat it, like Superman and kriptonite.

It destroys the sense of conflict, and any resolution in this way is hollow. Triumph should be by a characters own volition, not the reasult of some zaney invention that was needed because the writer wrote himself into a hole.

If there is a conflict ever becomes futile for one side or the other then any suspense is replaced with frustration and, ultimately, boredom.

14. NitrogenB

NitrogenB Well-Known Member

Hahahaha. That has to be the funniest post I've ever seen. Bravo man, brav-o.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Hum, an alien species of robots who were reaching out to the stars when we were still picking fleas off each other and flinging pooh. Advanced alien robots filling the roles of super heroes and super villains.

Heck yea I want the cool alien stuff that we can't do on Earth. I'm already way into the deep end of the sci fi pool by the time I've gotten into robot from another planet or a cube that can turn machines into Transformers.

Plus while some people claim missiles and bullets are all realistic for me they are as far from realist as you can get with Transformers. But that's because I'm one of those weird people who would say that if they don't have the Ark then how do they reload their weapons? At least with lasers or Blackout's weapon I don't have to wonder about a weapon needing to be reloaded.

16. Ajax 013

Yeah, the shockwave thing that blew out the tires? Reminded me of G1 piledrivers

17. Kortex

Kortex Well-Known Member

Nah man I think ''teleportation'' is way to much.. Especially for Jetfire, I mean why would he need to be a Blackbird and fly when he can just open a hole and teleport to another place... Its like Mirage becoming invisible or shape shifting.. Even the space brigde would be out of place... There s thing U just cant put in a ''real life action movie'' even if its about giant robot fighting for a cube that creates life....

18. phreakybot

phreakybot Well-Known Member

right? :peoples: 

19. Ajax 013

I just realised, theres another power in the film, Jazz's magnet hands! XD

20. mulanzo

mulanzo Dinobot

I think once they decided that there existed a planet with sentient robots and a cube that can create life AND mass-shift... that pretty much anything should go. I openly welcome wormholes, lasers, pew!-pew! sounding gunfire, Dinobots, Unicron sized robots, etc. If you are going to make the universe of Transformers believable, why skimp out and bring them to our level when obviously they are more highly advanced beings. They should have tech that baffles us and is beyond our scope of comprehension. They should have means of space transportation far beyond that which we can achieve ourselves.