Would you want to see G1 continued?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by scorpio-prime, Oct 27, 2010.

1. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

Having recently finished watching Rebirth on Youtube, it got me thinking how sad it was seeing the original series end just like that. So many new characters to explore (IMO the last few years of the toyline produced some of the most imaginative and fun ideas the franchise has ever seen), Optimus Primes return when it really meant something, the introduction of Lord Zarak as a believable rival for Galvatron, a new golden age for Cybertron...

Undoubtedly opinion will be fiercely divided on the subject (probably erring more on the hate filled 'its a crap idea' side), but personally I'd take a new series and toyline based right where Rebirth left off over the seen it all before triteness of TF Prime any day of the week.

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    personally I'd wait 'til i'd actually seen Prime before writing it off as trite.
    Especially considering G1 had it's fair share of triteness.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Continued? No.

Started over with all the bugs worked out? Yes.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'd rather see a proper adaptation of G1. Adapt the Marvel comics frame for frame.

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    YES! That's what I want. Not some new continuity or some new stylized version or CG version. Just exactly what you said. Transformers: Resolute.

6. Noise Maker

Noise Maker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So the brand new show that we know very little about is trite, but a continuation from a 26 year old cartoon would apparently NOT be something we've seen before?

7. scorpio-prime

Start again and all you'll have is yet another continuity - then we can all watch the adventures of Optimus and (yawn) Ironhide, Ratchet and Bumblebee as they share screen time with HATEFUL teenagers for the millionth outing...pick up where the original left off, with plot holes ironed out, the new characters ready to be properly developed with distinctive, individual personalities as opposed to simply being the protagonists in a lengthy toy commercial - THATS what I want to see.

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I'd like it, I can't see it happening. The show ended 20+ years ago. The most we can hope for is a Direct to DVD movie that fits in with G1 continuity, not an actual series.

9. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    THIS but also i would love this to happen especilly in the wholde gijoe resoloute style and also it would bring g1 to a defintive finish

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

As much as I loved G1 I'd rather not see it continued.

Do you keep everything or just nit pick out the good parts? Then it's going to be hard to find a jumping on point for new people if you have to know too much of the continuity. Lots of people sort of grew out of Transformers before the later stuff so that means a lot of catching people up to speed on the important parts of the story.

I just like going with a new direction better. It's sort of like with the Batman cartoons. Sometimes the new show is really great and sometimes the new cartoon isn't as good but you know one day a new series will replace it. Yea it's always a gamble with any new Transformers cartoon but it's a gamble I'm willing to take instead of getting too bogged down in the past.

11. scorpio-prime

Prime is set on Earth (RID, Animated, Bay Movies, much of Armada and Cybertron) features human characters in main roles (RID, Unicron Trilogy, Bay Movies) which just about any forum will tell you fans largely hate, and features a pretty much identical line up to both the movies and Animated. The point where G1 left off however had left Earth long behind (or at least branched out considerably to the point that Earth was simply another location to them), human characters were limited to pretty much just Daniel and Spike, and as previous mentioned the creativity of the new characters was considerably ahead of a red van, yellow bug and an ambulance.

So yeah, Prime is trite.

12. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Last night I popped in my DVDs to watch some Season 3 eps. I watched Only Human, Ultimate Weapon(one of my favs), Big Broadcast of 2006, and Quintesson Journal. Those episodes really show how dated the "future world" of 2006 is and while some of those episodes are good, I'd like to see them redo Season 3 in modern 2010. I guess that's too much for people with someone other then Optimus and Megatron being commanders.

13. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope.

G1 cartoon was crap, outdated, either redo it or like somebody already suggested animate Marvel issues.

14. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I would love to see a retelling of G1. Will this happen? I dunno, Hasbro doesn't want to us real cars and Classics pretty much covers the rest. So, the retellign would not be a very good move in terms of toy sales. I think the series would be amazing but I don't see it happening.

On the subject of TF Prime. I don't understand how anyone can have any opinon of the show other than not liking a few charatcer models. We know absolutely nothing about the show in terms of story and story telling style.

Thanx
    transbot90210

15. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

I think we have right to not like a characters redesign. I still do NOT like Starscream's movie design and I don't like his Prime look either. As toys we are getting the characters redone which is nice but I still want to see them animated.

16. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    So basically you want a story starring the Headmasters and Targetmasters, with only Prime and Goldbug from the season 1 cast around?

17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Count me in for another vote for animating the Marvel G1 and G2 comics though I'd love some reconciliation so we could get the UK stuff in there as part of it. I love Marvel Rodimus Prime and Target 2006 and Time Wars would be fantastic as little movies. Slag it, just have an episode where a character gets transported to a parallel earth where Unicron doesn't attack until 2006 and have this earth basically be the UK Earthforce/ 86Movie Continuity. Maybe revisit once or twice a series.

Be nice to see an expansion set after the Marvel run. I've always liked the idea that Galvatron 2 meets present day Hot Rod. Would he tell him about his being Rodimus Prime in his timeline? How would that affect Hot Rod? Maybe have them strike up some kind of friendship as Hot Rod wants to find out more. There's the whole revelation that Galvatron kills him. So much potential.

I'd also show the earlier G2 times. Like Grimlock and co's first encounter with the Cybertronian race. Maybe they visit various Cybertronian colonies encouraging Autobot descendants to revolt and join them. Have the likes of RID and Armada Megatrons as viceroys on these colonies with their Japanese names like Gigatron. Work in characters and concepts from other series. The Cybertronian colonies idea had such potential to work in new factions like Predacons and Mini-cons into G1 and make it more like the Star Wars franchise with an actual interstellar war and focus on different sets of characters, not just Prime and Megatron.

Imagine Energon Scorponok perfects cloning technology before the Cybertronians leave Cybertron. His early attempts evolve into the Cybertron Scrap Metals, which still roam Cybertron. The Insecticons at some later point use this technology on themselves leading to a "Swarm" infestation. All this occuring in the Marvel G1/2 universe.

I'd also change the Liege Maximo's appearance. I like the name but I'd give him the appearance of Overlord. It would fit in with the Euro box blurb about a new breed of Decepticon on the fringes of the galaxy. I remember reading the G2 UK comics years ago and thinking Liege Maximo was going to be Overlord. Especially with the place or person comment from Grimlock.

I'd have RID Scourge being one of the progenitors of the G2 Cybertronians and upon hearing that Prime and the Ark crew survived, comes looking to claim the Matrix from him. With a band of Cybertronain mercenaries led by Mega Octane who scan the Combaticons upon arriving on Earth.

I would love the voice cast and background music from the G1 cartoon though.

If we were to go the original route suggested, I'd be happy with Headmasters getting properly dubbed and completely ignoring Rebirth, Season 2 and most of Season 3 with Dark Awakening getting redone with Call of the Primatives style animation. There would be none of the crap like Kremzeek, Primacron and A3/Alpha Trion.

Okay, glad that's off my chest.

18. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Yeah no. (And from what I've seen, fans don't largely hate RID and Animated...)
    Human characters in Cybertron had one more person than G1, and while Earth played a fairly important role in Cybertron, they spent a good chunk of the series off the damn planet.
    And you have a red van, yellow bug, and ambulance because fans like you bitched when you didn't.

And you can't exactly insult a series you've never seen.

Oh, and my opinion. lol I forgot it.
    No, I don't want to see G1 continued at all. It's had it's chance. For some, it did well. For others, it failed. Point is, let other series have a shot.

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

The problem with that is that theres no way to work out all the bugs to everyones satisfaction.

Not to mention that a "start over" is really not much different then any of the other new continuities that have come out.

But starting over is the same thing as a New continuity".

20. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Not if through some miracle all they do is fix animation, coloring, and voicing errors.

Sorta what Dragon Ball did with Kai.