Would you want Hasbro to start using Henkei style packaging?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Malikon, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

Personally I would. I much prefer getting a Henkei package because it doesn't have all those horrible twist ties. I figured out the 'use a nail clipper' trick to cut the twist ties after I had untwisted one and pulled it out and it rubbed tight against the figure and wore a strip of paint off it. So I learned the hard way to use clippers. But the Henkei packaging is so nice and eco friendly, none of it gets thrown out really. I really, really like how the figure lays in a plastic bed that holds and supports it, then you lay a second piece of formed plastic down on top which holds it all together, then you just slide it in the box. No mess, no fuss, and nothing left to throw away.

Seriously there must be trillions and trillions of old thrown out twistie ties in landfills all over America.

So what do you think? Henkei style or Hasbro style? I think Henkei is better for collectors and better for the environment.

2. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think it would be cool to rid of twistys//just use the shell and then a cover piece all agaainst a backboard..no twistys either way ide probably just throw most of the packaging away

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never purchased a Henkei Figure... is it similar to the Encore/book style reissues? If so... yeah Twist ties such! It took me FOREVER to break ROTF Optimus Prime Free.

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    The wasted space in many of Hasbro's voyager boxes is disgusting. And packaging them as robots(which Takara has done as well) is even more wasteful and a bigger pain in the ass to free.

Takara many times have tighter packaging which makes the item look far better. And there's no question their stuff is easier to remove.

5. Malikon

it's 2/3 pieces of thin, clear molded plastic that hold the figure in place. I suppose like the Encores, (*trying to remember how my Encores pack up) I'm pretty sure it's like that, I don't remember any Encore twisties so yeah.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Takara then! However, i'm not to fond of having the transformers in robot mode. I liked them better in alt mode.

7. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

I'd be in favor of it,especially if the artwork was the same quality, as like the paint apps on most of the toys,Hasbro's packaging art looks very dull and uninspiring in comparison to Takara's.

8. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro said at Botcon they were going to be using more eco-friendly packaging. Smaller cards, less twist ties.

I prefer hasbros art personally, but I wouldn't mind comic pack-ins like the Henkei :) 

9. Malikon

eh, I don't mind Hasbro art and packaging, some of it I think looks pretty neat. But other then the Voyagers I don't save any of them. The Voyagers I can 'kinda' re-box, I just use the longest twistie that came with the figure and loop it around and through. But it's annoying. It's so much easier to slide a figure out of a Henkei box, play with it a little, put it all back nicely, slide it in the box and close it.

There are times I feel like messing with a Hasbro Voyager (like last night with Universe Inferno) then I see the twistie tie and think, "screw it I don't want to deal with the twistie.

I will say I've noticed Hasbro has long flap "tongues" in the RotF line then I've ever noticed before, so at least the boxes pretty much stay closed now without one side popping open like all the others.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I like the way Hasbro decos the backing cards, but I'd totally be in support of losing twist ties for sure.

11. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Well, I don't have any of the Voyager figs, but I don't see how the Henkei Deluxes would be any more "eco-friendly". If anything, I think they have more plastic than their Hasbro counterparts. I like them better, but the environment is far from a concern for either company with this packaging. I am not looking forward to the smaller "eco-friendly" packages that Hasbro is suppost to be doing soon. I think the new Joe ones look like Garbage in the small boxes.

12. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

It's something that gets cut open and thrown away. I couldn't really give a toss what they use, as long as it stops my toy getting broken before it reaches me. If they use something that keeps costs down and doesn't damage the environment, so much the better.

13. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I just want smaller boxes, that's all. The figures are getting smaller and smaller anyways, like ROTF.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No thank you. Henkei boxes are freaking hideous. It's very busy and a few too many colours. (I like colourful packaging, but not a whole rainbow)

I will take twist-ties if it mean skeeping those boxes away.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The physical design of the package maybe, though not the visual design.

Personally, I keep hoping for Japanese-style tech/bio cards, much like the "Heroes of Cybertron" PVC figurines had, as opposed to printing it all over half the back of the packaging.

16. exillion21

exillion21 Well-Known Member

All to do with distribution trends. The eastern markets prefer products with increased packaging superiority, i.e. their sweets are packaged up beautifully and come indiviually wrapped where as the western market prefer hardly any wrapping at all and a simpler presentation. I remember doing a chapter on it in university for an assignment.

The eastern packaging would appeal to less people in the western markets in theory, specifically children in this case. I guess that's why our transformers are packaged up like they are, quite generically.
    I on the other hand, have a ton of galaxy force boxes that i refuse to throw away though because they are sooo nice! :) 

17. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I support ti as long as Universe packs look like Universe and so on. There's a lot of watsed space in the boxes right now, and the Henkei style boxes could eliminate that.

18. BradTheMad

BradTheMad Well-Known Member

Twist-ties are evil! I accidentally scratched two figures with those suckers and could seriously do without. My only concern is for the visuals of the packaging as I do like them. The eco-friendly new packaging sounds good but I hope it will not go at the cost of the style.

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm for it, but I'd prefer them to start using Henkei style paint budgets and quality control first.

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    yah im for it ditch the twist ties, but id be even more for packaging that prevents repacking