Would you support a third party via Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by DrTraveler, May 17, 2012.

?

Would you be willing to support a new third party project via Kickstarter?

1. With enough information, yes

61.1%
  2. No.

38.9%
  1. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Simple question. Suppose a third party wanted to pursue a project, like say Bruticus, and they were concerned that there was insufficient interest. Would you be willing to donate to a Kickstarter fund to help get the ball rolling?

2. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I voted yes. For the right project with the right initial information in place, I'd kick in funds to get things going.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Not after doing the equivalent with iGear's Ratchet and Ironhide.

If I were guaranteed a special edition of the figure only available to those that contributed a certain amount, it would have to depend on how much I wanted it.

4. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    For certain obscure figures like Scrounge, Devcon, Beta, Elita-One, the Eighth Constructicon, Rackn'Ruin, Macabre, more Legends Class Minibots, etc. Basically figures that Hasbro/Takara are highly unlikely to do at all. And in the Classics aesthetic only. Don't have a need for a PCC Fallen or the like. And the guarantee of collectors weapon set, bio card or similar items unavailable in future releases

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I liked it, and the chance of me getting it were 95%, then yes. I don't want to give a company money and have them take it and not produce results.

6. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Hell no.

If someone wants to make toys, they can get off their ass and make toys. I'll not bankroll someone else's pipedream. If they were serious, they'd already have the finances to get it off the ground themselves.

7. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with DethPike. They have funding, and can continue to get revenue for future production by making and selling products.

Kickstarter should not be used to fund projects that would fit into an IP "grey area".

8. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    This.

9. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When it comes to 3rd parties, money is always the last issue to deal with, from my experience. Since its the easiest part. The actual work from designing, to going to china to start and run the production are the most difficult and hardest to do. Kickstarter is totally pointless, unless you have all the work done, and just need money to start the factory work the next day.

10. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    I'd support it, myself, for original designs. Dunno if I'd do it for stuff that's based off G1 characters given that might run afoul of Kickstarter rules, never mind draw WAY too much attention to third party stuff.

11. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would consider it if it was a known entity, like some of our really strong shape ways designers, wanting to take it to the next level

12. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not trying to be an asshole but no. If someone was really confident in their idea they'd apply for a loan or something.

13. Nujevad

Nujevad Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    No. Though I believe in kickstarting in some areas, toys are not one of them.

14. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This post is so full of win that my computer froze for a second from having to process it all.

These companies have already shown that:

- Projects can get cancelled at the drop of a dime with no warning before or explanation after.

- These items can come out looking a lot different than any initial sketches, CAD mockups, or even prototypes.

I'd never do it, and I feel that there are a number of people who'd vote or have voted yes on this thread who'd be no where to be found if a company really made a thread with a proposal asking for startup funding.

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    I believe kickstarter cannot fund illegal activities, and since you have to have a US bank account to use kickstarter, any attempt to establish such a thing would likely end in a bad way for the attemptee.
    Please don't flame me, I support third parties a huge amount and I am not judging them, I'm just stating the letter of the law to show the impracticalities of this.

I think people should show their support to third parties by buying the items from a reputable dealer when they are released.

16. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    ^ this.

17. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd have to agree with the people who voted no. Venksta and a few others have already pointed out many reasons to justify the answer.

18. DarkLiger

DarkLiger Well-Known Member

It would depend on the figure ( I was a backer for that attempt at Battle Beasts a few months back) and how much asked before I wold be guaranteed a figure.

19. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dammit, I think we already had a (partly) Transformers inspired figure Kickstarter, and we didn't even notice until it was over!

The Revenge of SUCKLE Kickstarter (a bunch of MUSCLE Things inspired silly characters, most are parodies of different things like Star Wars and the like) included a figure called Gay Energon... who seems to be a Muscle Things pink Bumblebee Chippendales dancer!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ni-figures-created-by-the-supe?ref=nav_search

[​IMG]

I guess I can live without Gay Energon Bumblebee, but it was the first TF inspired Kickstarter toy I've seen (even if it just made a silly Decoy figure), and it was successful. It raised over $30,000 and is in production now!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  20. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Needs more poll options. I'd support an original transforming robot line of figures or at least a Transformer-esque one with original designs. If it was by a well known name or looked good enough. I wouldn't kickstart, say, a combiner team based on a Transformer character from a no name.