Would you still collect if it wasn't for the internet.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ANDROID PRIME, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was thinking about this today, I spend alot of time on TFW and ebay looking at transformers and reading about transformers news and what not. heck I cant even go online with out typeing in tfw2005.com first, its almost a habit.
    I think if it weren't for the internet and awsome fan sites like this I wouldn't still be collecting TFs. I probably would have lost intrest. Thanks to the internet I learned about amazing figures that have kept me addicted through some dry patches. ie masterpiece, titaniums, revlotechs.

Anyone else feel that if it were for the internet they probably would have moved on?

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I started collecting before I got the internet, when the Hasbro re-issues came out. SO yes, I would still collect even if it wasn't for the internet.

3. Renegade Razor

Renegade Razor Renegade Team Leader

It would be very difficult to locate them but I would. I'd rather go insane than go without my bots! Fortunately my wife likes them too, so I can always keep them.

4. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't know if not having the internet would have caused me to stop collecting by now, but I know I would have a much smaller collection and a lot more money.:D 

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Nope. 'Cuz a lot of us were collecting before the internet was ever opened to commercial use.

But thanks to the internet, there's fan connection and community we wouldn't have access to otherwise. The internet just provides a means to expand our enjoyment of our hobby with fans worldwide.

6. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

I've been collecting for over 20 years, but only been actively looking at transformer sites on the internet for about six. I'd still be collecting, but would have missed out on some exclusives.

7. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    I'd collect anyway, as I'm addicted to getting Transformers.

But the net has been a COLOSSAL help to me, especially in planning how to spend my money.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I collected pretty steadily as a completist (well, as far as I knew, which meant I missed a lot of exclusives and stuff) until 2005 without using the internet much at all.

I started using TFW to stay up on Cybertron/GF releases when I was in Iraq, and just really dug it. So the internet makes it easier, and definitely makes it more enjoyable, but no, I don't think it's necessary for me to collect.

9. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Considering the first few years of 'the internet' were some of the most destructive in the franchise with the history of A.T.T. I think the question is how many people were forced out of the hobby because of 'the internet'.

Though I did love the TF MUSH days in the early 90s. We have had a pretty rhbust TF internet presence from at least the early 90s during G2 days.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Most likely, though probably not as much as I currently do. I started collecting with Cybertron, and that actually lead me to the internet, so I could see what all had come out and would be coming out. That's when I discovered TFW and kitbashing. I produced my first digibash before I joined this site, and using Microsoft Paint. If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't have known about the Classics line months in advance so I could prepare for their release. I also wouldn't know anything about kitbashing. On the topic of kitbashing, I'm almost done with Warpath and Thundercracker (going to wait till this semester is over to start back up on Overlord). I should be able to get Warpath done tonight, as I've just started putting the first coats of red on the last parts that need painting.

11. ponycorn

ponycorn Member

Considering the only place I've ever watched Transformers from any of the series, even Animated, has been online, I have to honestly say, I would not be in to the TF multiverse at all if not for the internet.

12. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would definitly still collect, but alot of my collection I wouldn't have.

13. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I'd be limited to only what the stores have so NO, I wouldn't be collecting if it weren't for the internet, Ebay specifically. I got over 75% of my collection thanks to Ebay. And I'm collecting MIB G1 now so there would be no friggin way I could collect without Ebay.

Also Rock Lords, I only need 3 more. I would NEVER have been able to get the *ULTRA RARE* wave 3 Shock Rocks without Ebay.

14. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Most likely not, i wouldn't have someone close to share my hobby,so I would've lost any interest on it.

15. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

i started collecting transformers back during armada

then again, it may have been during RID because i got ruination in 2000ish

and all that was before i even knew about any transformers sites

i dont remember excactly when i started collecting transformers

16. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I probably wouldn't have gotten back into it like I am now. And stuff would be harder to find and I probably wouldn't know about much stuff coming out...

17. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was collecting before there was an Internet. Before I knew of Takara Transformers, before G1 was "G1". So yes I'd still be collecting. However, the Internet with sites like TFW2005, TCC and even ebay have greatly enhanced the experience.

18. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Dude, I'd probably be so normal if it wasn't for the F'ing internet.

19. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^
    This

20. Petro-rabbit

Petro-rabbit Why so serious?

I would still be a fan and collector TF's without the internet but I wouldn't have half the collection that I have without the internet.