Would you still buy 3P over Official MP Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Sportimus, Apr 19, 2017 at 3:43 AM.

?

Would You Still Buy a 3P Megatron Despite The Release of MP-36 Megatron?

1. Yes! Apollyon is awesome!

16.6%
  2. Yes! Mightron is the mega-mightiest!

8.3%
  3. Yes! Despotron is the despot of all despots!

26.2%
  4. No! MP-36 and the rest can go deep six!

35.4%
  5. I'm eeping my 3P Apollyon AND MP-36 Megatron!

8.7%
  6. I'm keeping my 3P Mightron AND MP-36 Megatron!

0.9%
  7. I'm keeping my 3P Despotron AND MP-36 Megatron!

5.2%
  8. I'm keeping my 3P Apollyon and Mightron AND MP-36 Megatron!

0.9%
  9. I'm keeping my 3P Mightron and Despotron AND MP-36 Megatron!

0.4%
  10. I'm keeping my 3P Apollyon, Mightron, and Despotron, AND MP-36 Megatron!

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Havocmech

Havocmech Well-Known Member

Below are the stats as of 4/21/2017 at 12:27 pm MST. MP-36 has more votes than any 3P individually. However, total them together and 3P MP Megatrons have the advantage over MP-36 by 55.4% to 33.1%. No matter how this goes in the long run, would you have believed it 5 years ago that a 3P MP (Megatron no less) would give an updated official MP a run for its money?

1. Yes! Apollyon is awesome!

32 vote(s)

18.3%

2. Yes! Mightron is the mega-mightiest!

14 vote(s)

8.0%

3. Yes! Despotron is the despot of all despots!

51 vote(s)

29.1%

4. No! MP-36 and the rest can go deep six!

58 vote(s)

33.1%

5. I'm eeping my 3P Apollyon AND MP-36 Megatron!

14 vote(s)

8.0%

6. I'm keeping my 3P Mightron AND MP-36 Megatron!

0 vote(s)

0.0%

7. I'm keeping my 3P Despotron AND MP-36 Megatron!

6 vote(s)

3.4%

8. I'm keeping my 3P Apollyon and Mightron AND MP-36 Megatron!

2 vote(s)

1.1%

9. I'm keeping my 3P Mightron and Despotron AND MP-36 Megatron!

1 vote(s)

0.6%

10. I'm keeping my 3P Apollyon, Mightron, and Despotron, AND MP-36 Megatron!

5 vote(s)

2.9%

2. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Nope, not really and they still haven't, if you made this poll in the official section, I'm sure the outcome would be very different, in fact, more skewed heavily towards MP-36 than the others have skewed towards him in this section of the TF forum, which isn't surprising given we are in the third party section.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Havocmech

Havocmech Well-Known Member

Actually that would be interesting to see. Maybe I (or someone else) should do that- with an invitation for both sides to go over and vote.

4. Straight Edge

Straight Edge Well-Known Member

After seeing the reviews and final shots of MP-36, I gleefully ordered Despotron from Big Bad Toy Store. I really want a more G1 accurate head, but everything else about this figure checks my boxes and I have not regretted my choice.

I'm completely soured on Takara's current anime-in-3D style, but Megatron looked great in prototype. Once they added that flat silver/gray and off-white face... It ruined the figure in my eyes. That gaping hole back behind the head is also the kind of eyesore that I don't need to deal with. I like my Transformers looking good from all angles.

5. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised with these results, considering all the options we have nowadays.

6. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm surprised how much of a lead Despotron has, and how well Apollyon had done so far. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect aside from MP-36 leading. I am surprised that his lead isn't that huge as Despotron is pretty close in 2nd place. I had no idea he was so popular. It encouraged me to order one of my own.

Granted, I made this poll in the 3P forum. Had I placed it anywhere else, perhaps MP-36 would have a greater lead. But I don't think it would have had as honest of results as so many more are kind of brutally biased towards the official right now. There may be a little of that here anyway in the results, but not as much so. Polls are not 100% reliable anyway. But as a general idea, I think it's worked out pretty well so far. :) 

It should be interesting to see how people feel the same about MP-36 after the "honeymoon" phase.

7. botfan

botfan Enter- Hospitality Botfan

This is a huge problem with MP collectors. They view every release through their 80's nostalgia googles and don't bother to consider if it's actually a good representation or just more filler. People loved their Appolyon, then their despotron, when it is clear that MP36 puts those hideous figures to shame. But why does it take some official release to help us realize that those earlier releases where horrid?

The worst part is, the official stuff has become the ultimate filler. MP36 might be better than all those other releases, but that doesn't mean it's good enough. It's part of a completely different line of TFs. It's amazing how well he displays next to lavender toon world shockwave, but it's a totally different figure when next to realistic aesthetic heroic MP10. MP36 is a great, fuzzy, cuddly, cute little loony toon representation of megs, but he's no MP. He fits with what xtrans has been putting out, but for MP collectors he's just another blemish in a long line of blemishes TT has been recently putting out. The only company still supporting the MP aesthetic and completing our collections for us is FT. I would much rather see what they do with megatron compared to the roody pooh megs put out by TT.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OstOgBajer

OstOgBajer Well-Known Member

Maybe you're forgetting that what you have there is an OPINION ;) 

Despotron is still my Megatron. I still think Despotron is a better representation of what I think Megatron should look like. The crappy 1980s cartoon Megatron is not a proper Decepticon leader to me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ckchan

ckchan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well, as far i i know, the official TT thread consist of mostly collector who ONLY collect official MP. Most will not even consider buying 3p at all. but in the 3p thread, i think most will collect both 3p and official. so if you want to do a poll/survey on 3p and TT MP, i think it's fairer to put it on the 3p section. the bias is less on the 3p section

10. OstOgBajer

Yeah, it's hard to weed out the people who won't buy 3P just because they are loyal to the Takara brand.

But... I still think MP-36 would win. I think there's a lot more people that care a lot about cartoon accuracy compared to people who just want a good looking Megs regardless of the source material.

I think that could change a lot depending on the age bracket too. I wonder how many younger folks would choose MP-36 over 3P since nostalgia wouldn't be factor.

11. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

This forum is 80% confirmation bias, your not going to settle anything no matter where you put a poll. Unfortunately it goes with the territory of obsession and high $$$ toys. It also comes with varying tastes. I have dead opposite view of 2 of my friends in the spinout vs badcube debate. All three of us are excellent and successful artists, none of us are right, just different. But just like the two of them in that case, ya'll are f#@&in nuts if you think Appollyon or mightron is better than MP36. Straight nuts..... :D 

• Like Like x 1
  12. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

I see no bias here, if that was the case MP-36 wouldn't have more votes individually. But it is not a surprise that considering all the 3Ps, Takara would loss. Right now, we can see 52.8% fans prefering other options vs 34.9%.

Thanks to 3Ps we can get a variety of options, in some cases improving the quality of official products, particularly with the current trend of QC issues in official products but in the end, it is actually sad because this remember us other times in wich was inconcebible to think in other option different than official products.

Takara/Hasbro are the only responsables of this situation. They are the responsables of lossing 52.8% of fans.

I just cant imagine what will happen if FansToys decides to offer an own Masterpiece Megatron interpretation...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 5:51 AM
  13. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mightron, yeah-yeah.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. botfan

Opinion? I actually copied my response directly from the encyclopedia. It's completely all factual...:rolleyes: .

Anyway, pointing out that we have "opinions" doesn't make it invalid. Yes, in my opinion the only MP maker is FT and despotron is a mess, just like appolyon, and MP36. Those figures either don't match in design quality or aesthetic to the earlier post-MP10 releases. I think people should save their money for a proper Megs release that we're bound to get sometime in the future and not throw out their money on every company's hacky attempt at putting out a shelf-filler.

15. OstOgBajer

I didn't say your opinion was invalid, did I? I'm merely saying your opinion isn't fact. You know the saying: opinions are like assholes...

And I copied my response below directly from a more valid, awesomer encyclopedia!!!

You asked a question: "But why does it take some official release to help us realize that those earlier releases where horrid?"

You don't understand why people don't agree with you. I'm just telling you it's because you have a different opinion ;) 

Also...

When the original Masterpiece Megatron came out, people thought it was awesome, as close as we could get to the real deal. Then Apollyon came out. People wondered why anyone liked the official because Apollyon was as close as we could get to the real deal. And the cycle continues. You could even say the same about mp-36. Right now it looks as close as we can get, but it's not. It could still be even closer to the toon. We may see this same cycle continue in the future with a new version of Megs with tweaked proportions that matches a different animation frame and lacks all that back and side kibble/hollowness and has a less crappy alt mode.

Kinda like video game graphics or movie CGI. The next super realistic movie or game looks so awesome. We don't realize how unrealistic it is until something more realistic comes out because it is amazing for its time.

But anyway, toon accuracy is a pretty crap goal to me ;)  which is my opinion, and doesn't invalidate yours. It's not a competition.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

Honestly, I think we've hit peak Megatron. I doubt any other company, especially Fantoys, is going to dive into that mess. We've hit market saturation.

Seriously, that's four different options people have at the moment. If they didn't have anything behind the scenes that's ready to release, I can't see "Let's dive into this bit of the market with so, so many competitors" being a good prospect

They'd just make money money releasing something completely new, regardless of what their hypothetical Megatron was like

Regardless, I don't go for gun Megs because gun Megatrons is a hilarious legal minefield in Australia that I don't want to step on, but I'm me, so I'm biased on whichever one has the most neat accessories. I am the type of guy who would have brought the original MP Megs for that Kremzeek

• Like Like x 1
  17. botfan

No, no. Don't misunderstand me. What I'm typing is absolute fact. There is a team of scientists working tirelessly around the clock, testing and probing every one of of my statements all to ensure that everything I write on the vaunted tfw2005 message boards is the unbiased absolute truth.

Here's an example, the tf famdom is a mob running down the street that mindlessly chases after everything little thing that catches its attention for a split second before being distracted and chasing the next thing.
    Ah, I see you've already seen the results of that study.

• Like Like x 2
  18. OstOgBajer

I think you missed the part of the study discussing interdimensionality... If you read it, you would understand that I am from a dimension where all my statements are facts and I don't even need scientists to back them up. Your silly "facts" and frivolous scientists have nothing on my words. This poll is also invalid. There is only one real option, and it is the ALMIGHTY DESPOTRON!

This thread can be closed now. I've saved everyone's time by providing the one true answer.

19. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I'd only buy one now if it was a tank.

20. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

I fixed your statement!

;)