Would you still buy 3P over Official MP Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Sportimus, Apr 19, 2017.

?

Would You Still Buy a 3P Megatron Despite The Release of MP-36 Megatron?

1. Yes! Apollyon is awesome!

18.0%
  2. Yes! Mightron is the mega-mightiest!

8.3%
  3. Yes! Despotron is the despot of all despots!

26.7%
  4. No! MP-36 and the rest can go deep six!

33.5%
  5. I'm eeping my 3P Apollyon AND MP-36 Megatron!

9.8%
  6. I'm keeping my 3P Mightron AND MP-36 Megatron!

0.8%
  7. I'm keeping my 3P Despotron AND MP-36 Megatron!

5.6%
  8. I'm keeping my 3P Apollyon and Mightron AND MP-36 Megatron!

0.8%
  9. I'm keeping my 3P Mightron and Despotron AND MP-36 Megatron!

0.4%
  10. I'm keeping my 3P Apollyon, Mightron, and Despotron, AND MP-36 Megatron!

3.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bfett88

bfett88 Well-Known Member

I have Apollyon and MP36, I am keeping both, Apollyon will always be in gun mode from now on and MP36 will never be transformed and it will stay in bot mode. I really like both, I feel that Apollyon is an MP representation of the original toy and MP36 is the representation of Megatron in the cartoon.

2. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    I did have Apollyon, but then I upgraded.

Attached Files:

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'm actually waiting on my desprotron to arrive today. MP36 is pretty good.on his own, but all the inflation designed to make me so pricey just me off from purchasing him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Skrunklemin

Skrunklemin TFW2005 Supporter

I'd love to check out an MP-36 to experience the engineering, but not enough to actually buy it. Despotron is my Megs though and I've been nothing but happy with it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Streaker Prime

Streaker Prime Narcissist

Have Apollyon and Despotron. No interest in MP-36 whatsoever. The last Takara MP I bought was MP-25 Tracks. I went 3P for Shockwave, Ratchet, Inferno, and Grapple, and still hope Voodoo will deliver on Ironhide. My wallet and I have no interest in BW or slavish toon accuracy.

Just recalled, I did buy the MP Coneheads, but I'm thinking of replacing them with their BB7 competition, who look better to me every day.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tonyshotz

Tonyshotz Well-Known Member

Where is option for "Yes, in a heartbeat, as soon as someone does it right"?
    Apollyon is still my current MP Megs, not because its better than the rest but because it was the first one and none have been better enough to justify the cost of a new one. I think Despotron looks the best but I have plenty of gripes there too....
    Much like Sunstreaker and Mirage, attempts have been made but none have really nailed it yet.
    The official looks terrible though....

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is. It's the 4th one down from the top. ;) 

I had no knowledge of even what a WeiJiang is until your post. Is this a KO?

I tried to keep the poll options simple to avoid any over-complexity and confusion. I don't know if I can change it at this point. If I can, people can change their votes if they so desire.

8. PrimalPrime007

PrimalPrime007 Well-Known Member

ALL of the Megatrons released thus far (3rd parties and official) have certain flaws that made me hesitate to pull the trigger on any of them. For the price that they're asking for the TT could've been better.

I say this: MP36 is close to my ideal Megatron but not enough for me to fork out $230 for it. So if I had to give an answer, my ideal currently is MP36 at a CHEAPER price

9. Shackwave71

Shackwave71 Very Illuminating...

Yes, mostly because of cost, and paint chipping. Seriously, how do they get away with a $200 dollar official figure having that? Takara is usually leaps and bounds over Hasbro, but the paint issues rather surprised me.

10. GreyFox787

GreyFox787 Well-Known Member

I'm baffled by the MP-36 hate in this forum...I can agree the the top of the shoulder/neck area and back look a bit weak in robot mode...but goddamn is he awesome. Apollyon is exiting my collection entirely, and no other 3P Megatron can even compare to how much Takara nailed this figure...just like Shockwave.

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm going to leave this short and sweet. No. MY 36 looks as perfect as he can while accommodating BOTH modes. Granted, there are a few qc issues, but honestly, how many people swore up and down Apollyon was going to be a crap storm of a figure, and now would rather have it over the official out of spite.. I sold mine off to help offset the cost of Megatron.

12. evilash3373

evilash3373 Well-Known Member

I have no plans to replace Despotron. With Takara's overly toon direction I might be opting out of official masterpiece figures I'm afraid. The hyper toon accuracy just doesn't work for me and clashes with the earlier masterpiece figures. The steep price tags of the newer masterpiece figures don't help either. The newer figures are nearing Macross valkyrie level of expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Knight Prime

Knight Prime Well-Known Member

The ones who do not have the official really don't understand how awesome it is. EXTREMELY poseable, comes with a flight stand, a shit tonne of accessories, and looks like Megs from head to toe. What more can you ask for?

14. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

A chest not so small, a waist no so high, arms and legs not so skinny, better plastic quality, better paint quality, a transformation with no paint chipping, no big head, no jigsaw back and of course a better price.

Actually there are A LOT OF things to ask for. So, a similar question can be applied to you. How are not you able to see all the issues of this so called Masterpiece?

The answer is simple, we all like different things.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Knight Prime

Knight Prime Well-Known Member

Choose your poison, MP-36 is just fine to me as it's G1 toon accurate. It's not perfect, but it's better than what is out there so far IMHO. As far as price, it's been jacked up by US retailers, and that's unfortunate. But, if you can design a better Megs be my guest. If it's better than MP-36 I'll buy 2 from you.

16. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have MP-36 and I don't think he is awesome. He's decent at best.

- He cannot stand on one foot. So no flashy poses there.
    - Paint chips from transformation. Ridiculously unforgivable.
    - Accessories are useless because they can damage the figure in gun mode (barrel scratches)
    - Looks TOO MUCH like cartoon Megs.
    - Has gaps and hollow bits all over him.
    - Head is too big for his body.
    - Legs are too long.
    - Waist too high up, and belly area is too narrow.
    - Too many tiny panels.
    - Barrel does not lock into place behind his back. Can flop around a bit.

That said, he does have good things:
    - Super posable.
    - Great optional heads.
    - Stable figure. Won't flop over due to good ankle ratchets.
    - Nice use of clear pieces for his belly parts.
    - Good hands.
    - Collapsable cannon/scope inspired from Mightron design.

Overall, all three 3P versions and the official bring something different to the table for MP Megatron. They're so unique from each other that I don't see why anyone needs to ditch any of them because they're getting MP-36. None of them are perfect, but all of them are good in their own interesting ways.

I have Apollyon and Mightron. I also have MP-36. I like all of them. I'm keeping them. And I am looking into getting Despotron as well. He is so far at a close 2nd behind MP-36 in the polls here.

• Like Like x 3
  17. MaxPower

MaxPower Well-Known Member

I own ALL four.

I love each one for a different reason.
    My least favorite one is DX9 Mightron.

My favorite changes constantly. I cannot decide.

MP 36 major flaws to me are the big head. The high water legs/small torso and the paint chipping upon transformation. Oh and the high price point.

Other than that he is pretty cool.

Definitive?!?! I'd say no. My main reason he is NOT the end all of MP Megstron is that he does NOT fit in well with the other Decipticons. Appollyon fits better to me. And next to MP10 Prime, they look so different, like from different themed lines. He just doesn't fit in with the rest of the MP collection. To me.

18. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

I paid 178 shipped and no orange plug buffoonery

19. jetrobo

jetrobo Well-Known Member

I own all except Apollyon. I can't say any of them are perfect or even 85% ideal, but I can say my honeymoon periods with Mightron and Despotron were much longer than with MP-36. Maybe my expectations were set too high with the hype.

My first was Mightron. He still gives me that satisfying feeling of more idealized animation/'86 movie proportions and an excellent G1 mug. Plus he's tough as hell and I dig the gun mode. However, his legs look weird from the side, and I do hate his hands.

My second was Despotron. He doesn't provide that G1 nostalgia, but he just looks bad-ass, shiny, and for me he's the best visual match for MP-10. His chrome red eyes are amazing, and his back is super clean. I don't like his smaller head and too-short helmet flare. I had to fix his sinking legs. His gun mode looks ridiculously elongated, but I understand shortening the gun would have made for an even stockier robot.

MP-36... I like his posability best and his lower legs are a work of art. He looks ok once you get used to his exaggerated cartoon proportions, but that all gets dashed to bits once I grab one of the other two and compare side-by-side. His muted color palette doesn't help (Megatron is supposed to by silver and black, goddammnit!). Jury is still out on him, but for now I can't get enough of the leg transformation.

Yes, we are so spoiled with choices.

20. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

better deco.