Would you still buy 3P over Official MP Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Sportimus, Apr 19, 2017.

?

Would You Still Buy a 3P Megatron Despite The Release of MP-36 Megatron?

1. Yes! Apollyon is awesome!

18.0%
  2. Yes! Mightron is the mega-mightiest!

8.3%
  3. Yes! Despotron is the despot of all despots!

26.7%
  4. No! MP-36 and the rest can go deep six!

33.5%
  5. I'm eeping my 3P Apollyon AND MP-36 Megatron!

9.8%
  6. I'm keeping my 3P Mightron AND MP-36 Megatron!

0.8%
  7. I'm keeping my 3P Despotron AND MP-36 Megatron!

5.6%
  8. I'm keeping my 3P Apollyon and Mightron AND MP-36 Megatron!

0.8%
  9. I'm keeping my 3P Mightron and Despotron AND MP-36 Megatron!

0.4%
  10. I'm keeping my 3P Apollyon, Mightron, and Despotron, AND MP-36 Megatron!

3.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now that the official Takara release of Masterpiece Megatron (MP-36) is available, would you still consider buying a 3P Megatron like Apollyon, Mightron, and/or Despotron. Do you still prefer at least any of these over the official or is MP-36 your "go to" MP Megatron?

Out of respect to the board mods, please keep in civil and respectful to one another. Thanks.
    :) 

EDIT:

YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR VOTE, AND YOU'RE ALLOWED UP TO 2 CHOICES TO SELECT.

I'm not shouting, just wanted members to see it. :D 

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. snoopcow

snoopcow Yaranaika?

i wanted to get mightron, but local seller marked up his price to be similar to mp10.

didnt get apolyon because xtb and kfc is AIDS.

despotron due to Don Figuroa design, is an aquired taste, but yet local seller jack up price, so fuck them.

would have had 3 version of leader sized megs if not for greedy sellers

• Like Like x 1
  3. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Doesn't matter what order any of them actually came out but in the end, I would never buy the DX9 or MT Megatrons and I would definitely own both TT and XTB Megatrons. Right now, both my Megatrons are hanging out next to each other on the shelf and it might just end up staying that way because they are both so good. I still prefer XTBs aesthetics overall and described MP36 as a supermodel that I don't find attractive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fr33fall

Fr33fall Well-Known Member

I have Despotron and have no intention of selling him. I have MP36 on the way, and feel fine with double-dipping in this case, because they are fairly different takes on the character.

If I had to choose one? I dunno, there are a lot of things I like about Despotron's design and build; I like Megatron being a bulky, intimidating presence, and I do like the silver color, but then I'm also fine with a slimmer take as well, and the gray/silver does actually look nice.

I dunno, if they had come out at the same time, maybe I would have settled for the KO CW Megatron as my bulky silver version, but like I said, I still have no regrets with Despotron.

5. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

I have Apollyon, I have Despotron, I have the MP en route and I am waiting for a solid KO of the Takara mold with a better deco. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  6. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Can't vote, because I honestly don't know.

When MP Megatron was revealed I was pretty sure and thus bought Despotron since I wanted a good quality, powerful looking Megatron with a nice transformation. And that is Despotron in a nutshell. And it's a point where to me the MP still fails. The MP doesn't have a nice transformation, he doesn't look powerful and what I've heard Maketoys has a better build quality.

So I still absolutely love Despotron, but am seeing things about the MP that I like. Especially in the looks department. The MP looks like a machine, a very mechanical machine vs the humanoid looking alternatives, and I like that. The downside is that from straight on I like his look, but in many poses he looks wrong to me.

Also, I always thought I wanted Megatron to be metallic silver, but damn that grey does look nice. Too bad it's paint and chips easily. I've said it elsewhere but I'll say it again: they should've gone the same route as with MP-6 and 7 (Skywarp/Thundercracker) and just use the proper colour plastic and clear cote the figure. Gives a nice metallic, sparkly sheen and is much more durable.

Already owning Despotron and not really seeing a need for 2 MP sized Megatrons (especially since Shockwave is my Decepticon leader), I'm hesitant whether or not I will keep the pre-ordered MP Megatron or sell him on. It's an expensive figure.

If I didn't have any and now had to decide...it would be an incredibly difficult decision. I might, just might, go for the MP. But likely would dislike the fact that I have a figure on the shelf that to me doesn't look good in most angles, isn't fun to transform and is too fragile (paintwise) to mess with.

If I had a chance to fiddle with them all, I'll likely would go with Despotron and always wonder if the MP wasn't the nicer looking option.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I picked yes... But honestly, if I had MP Megatron first, I'd probably only get it if I found it in person for a really good price.

Now, that said, I'm pretty happy I have both, even though I paid (nearly) full price for Apollyon last year. There's room for two Megs in my display. I don't care for the looks of the other two, though.

8. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

NOPE, and an emphatic one, to both questions!

Hey, no fair, where is the; "MP-36 is awesome and the rest don't even come close!" option?

Can't vote!?

:D 

9. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

I have all 3P Megs and the official. And will continue to purchase Megatrons if and when they get released.
    As of now, I am waiting on Gladius, TW Meg's and the WJ OS Megatron to join the collection.

Each are great in their own right, and each has its own distinctive Megatron aura. I love the fact that each of them look so different yet so representitive of what we know to be Megatron.
    One thing I will say, that MP36 has over ALL THE 3rd party Megs are the legs.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    There's none of them scratching that itch.
    An MP Megatron is too hard to do.
    None of them are good enough to please me.And i'm certainly not buying MP36 for that price.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess it's too late, but how about an option for 'I'm still interested to see what could be done with another option - e.g. FT or BC'?

• Like Like x 1
  12. ckchan

ckchan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes. in fact i just bought despotron and it's awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  13. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm about to sell my Appolyon on eBay BUT - and this is the reason I didn't pick the last option - there is still a LOT to like about Appolyon. Enough that I've actually been hmming and ahhhing over the last few weeks, undecided on which one to sell. MP-36 has character but the mould suffers from as many individual issues as the 3rd party figures seem to.

So MP-36 wins for me over Appolyon, but only just. Not going to mention the other 3rd party offerings as something was too "off" about their aesthetics for me to invest.

FWIW a silver MP-36 with a non-toon faction symbol would probably up my love of MP-36 slightly.

14. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

I'm very disappointed with the low quality and design issues of MP Megatron, these are unacceptable, particularly in this price range. Not an option.

I have a Mightron, actually 2 of them, and currently thinking in get an Appolyon.

Also waiting for the KO, which looks like improve many errors of the MP, will see.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Bought Despotron a week before mp36 came out. Like it the best

• Like Like x 2
  16. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Level Six Laser Lotus

MP 36 is the ugliest of them. I'm keeping my Apollyon.

17. Líder Optimus

Líder Optimus Well-Known Member

I'm very satisfied with Apollyon. MP-36 manages to have a harder transformation than him and all those seams in gun mode are unsightly

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jeriboy54

Jeriboy54 Well-Known Member

I had all four, kept Despotron and Megatron. I have MP 36 among my Decepticons. Despotron stands among my combiners. Really hate the fact that I can't transform MP 36 without worry of chipping.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wraithier

Wraithier Well-Known Member

I have both MP-36 and Apollyon and I like them both, but now that I have him in hand MP-36 just trounces Apollyon in almost all areas. I don't know if the issues I'm hearing with MP-36 are just from the critical minority (because you aren't going to complain if your figure is perfect) or I just got lucky, but my MP-36 is fine. I find the transformation more intuitive and easier than Apollyon. I took my time and didn't have any issues with paint rubbing or anything. For me Apollyon like most X-Transbots figures has too much of the "slide this panel over that panel but this panel flexes to the point of almost breaking" instances and fiddly little bits that are hard to get placed.

I was a little skeptical of the looks of MP-36 as he is kind of lanky and thin, but in hand it's hard to explain but he just doesn't come off like that to me. He may just not photograph well I suppose. Also the face sculpt to me is just head and shoulders above Apollyon, and I thought his face was amazing when I first got him. My Apollyon has certainly been replaced by MP-36 in my display.

• Like Like x 3
  20. kollekxon

kollekxon Well-Known Member

Initial pictures of MP36 looked so very promising. As more pictures became available I just couldn't get past all those little panels on the torso. The around the neck and the back is .... you've seen the back. Good grief. Anyway I bought Despotron he looks fantastic and then I bough Mightron which I like for different reasons. Neither one of these two have those panels that break up the sculpt as bad as MP36. Then there is the transformation - I've watched the reviews and not one has convinced me that MP36 is gonna be fun to transform. Its not that I hate all of it but there isn't enough there for me to spend 200.