Would you replace your existing Classics figures with 3rd party alternative?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Alucard77, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So with the release of Hegemon, I was really debating on replacing my classics custom megs with him. Then I looked at my season 1 Decepticon shelf:

- Custom Megs (I guess United would have been fine too), Hegemon is dead on.
    - Custom Shockwave
    - HasTak Seekers
    - FP Insecticons
    - Crazy Devy Devastator
    - PE Frenzy, Rumble, Lazerbeak and Buzzsaw.
    - Device Label Ravage
    - Device Label Soundblaster

That is literally 10 figures that are either customs or 3rd Party.

Technically, it is only 3 molds that I have that are HasTak. At this point I wonder, why even go with HasTak for Classics? I mean it seems that 3rd Party has taken over anyway.

The thing that is also funny is how the Decepticons are evil, and how 3rd Party companies are considered evil by some. Meanwhile, all the evil characters seem to be made by the evil companies. Just saying.

2. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Why go with HasTak for Classics? Because... they're good. The non-HT figures you have there are mostly figures that don't exist in Classics. I mean, of the ones listed, only Megatron and Rumble/Frenzy have real HasTak counterparts (well, Devastator, but that... doesn't really count).

As for me... I would replace my Henkei Megatron with Hegemon if I had the option to do so at no cost, but... honestly doesn't seem worth the effort.

Third party toys are usually great for filling in gaps in collections. But in general, I prefer the cheaper, easier to find, easier to replace mass-retail figures.

3. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Nope. I'm sticking with United Megatron, ML Soundwave, Henkei Seekers, and DL Ravage. 3rd party figures serve to supplement my collection, not replace it.

4. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This, pretty much. Though something like Hegemon interests me a great deal, I would buy it just because I liked it and not to replace the slot my Henkei Megs occupies in my Classics lineup.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As is the general train of thought here, 3rd party supplements my collection, not replaces it.

It'll be a long time coming for 3rd party groups to even begin to replace what Hasbro's given us officially.

At this point, we've only really got, what, Megatron, as an alternative? I'm barely counting Rumble/Frenzy, considering how not many people managed to get the official ones.

They're going to have to get moving to replace the other 60-odd figures in my Classics collection.

It ain't gonna happen.

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    No I would not replace official figures with 3P. For one the price is too high. If I can get an official version for 33% or less of the price of a 3P item why wouldn't I?

The only figure that currently overlaps Classics is Megatron. I like Hegemon but he is totally G1 which puts him out of Classics contention (although that line of thought of updated look with updated tech is becoming more and more like just updated tech). So far I have not been tempted to pick up Hegemon although he looks awesome. He has no place on my Classics shelf because I have completely accepted Classics Megs.

Then you get figures like PE Arcee. A small deluxe for $100...WTF??!!?? There would be no way that I would replace a $15 Arcee with a $100 version. I know we don't have an official Arcee yet but that $100 price tag is enough to make me wait. Between her populatrity on Transformers: Prime and the vast amounts of Generations figures we are getting in 2013, I will wait it out.

I love my 3P stuff, I'm sure you all know that, but there is a place for it. And that place IS NOT replacing a 15-30 buck figure with a $100 version with less engineering.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I only buy 3P if there's an obvious void of a character I care about, or if the official offering is inferior.

8. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dead on

9. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    im not sure on this one, i mean we have the igear ratchet and ironhide coming, hegemon/megatron, and faith leader

if someone took the mpseeker mold and scaled it to small voyager size i would say goodbye to my henkei seekers in a heart beat.

i like classics megs but a more G1ish version appeals to me out of love for the character. but i generally fall for designs like what was seen in IDW AHM and other series with classics styled designs.

now if hasbro came up with a competeing version of igears huffer or any of the mini bots, who would win i dont know

but i dont see myself replacing characters like sideswipe or sunstreaker, prowl and his clones or hound, but maybe ironhide and ratchet or even mirage

10. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on how much better the 3P version is to what Hasbro has put out. For me, Hemegon Meg is not that much better than Classics Megatron for me to shell out that much for Hemegon. Same goes for Igear Ratchet and Ironhide.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Only if the 3P figure is VASTLY superior to Hasbro's release, or comes as part of an upgrade set I.E. Not-Swindle and Not-Blastoff.

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    $75

13. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Giant and Hercules are superior to Walmart Classic Devastator. Fansproject did a better Swindle and Blast Off. This is because Hasbro cheaped out and repainted Energon toys for these Classics.

14. ae_productions

ae_productions G1 Fan

This.

15. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like others have said, the 3p has to fill a void, or be superior to the Official offering. I have a fair amont of 3p stuff & most of it augments existing hasbro stuff (all the fpj add ons (except CJ set) either directly as an add on or to fill a
    Void, but some does replace. Hercules & warbot defender are replacements. You can't even really compare constructicon devestator & Hercules & but I think warbot defender is a good example of a superior figure. We had the target exclusive evac repaint, & the botcon one, but I feel warbot is a much better representation of the figure. Likewise, I like Hegemon a lot better than United Megatron, so I will probably box up & possibly sell United Megstron when I get Hegrmon. Yes he's $100ish but that $100 buys you an almost ultra class sized figure with a ton of accessories who looks more like a refreshed version of his G1 self than the official offerings (IMO). I would like to have the Ironhide & Ratchet, but I don't feel that their price is justified, maybe for $75, but not $119.

16. Rahvin

Rahvin Well-Known Member

This past weekend I destroyed my Classics Megatron, cannibalizing arms for a custom Shockwave. I don't need him any more, now that Hegemon is ordered and on the way.

I'll order 3rd party whenever they offer a superior product to what HasTak has offered, or if HasTak has offered no new incarnation of the character, so long as I can afford the price.

HasTak have gotten a lot of figures right, though. I still love my Classics Jetfire, for instance. And the black WFC Megatron/Optimus set remain some of my favorite figures.

17. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

I intend to change out my classics seekers for the igear ones as well as a few autobot cars for the igears ones when they are out(if they get made)
    Ironhide and racthet as well.
    I dont have a problem with my classics megs but hedgemon mite replace him depending on how whell it scales with faithleader.
    Herc changed a lot in terms of my collection as did the pics of the fantoys soundwave.
    Is it possable to be a Transformer fan and only collect 3rd party? I dont know but i just mite end up doing just that.

18. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if it's a lot better, sure. and Hegemon is definitely a lot better than the classics version. *shudder*

19. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    +1.

20. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

If suitable alternatives are made I'd have no issue at all with replacing all of my Classics with 3rd party products.

So far I've replaced,

Henkei Prime with Faith Leader
    Deluxe Seekers & Coneheads with their iGear counterparts

Henkei Megatron also went bye bye when I saw iGears plans for Horror Monarch and Music Label Soundwave will be replaced by the Fans Toys one.