Would you recommend the Baby Bullet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lazerwave, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    This question goes to anyone who is a mother or father and owns a baby food making machine called the Baby Bullet.

I've got a cousin who is expecting a baby boy soon. My family is thinking about buying the baby his first Halloween costume (most likely a Star Wars costume since I'm in a huge family who are Star Wars fans), but I had an idea of purchasing the Baby Bullet as a gift.

I have 3 good reasons why I think that is a good gift for the baby.

1) That way the parents don't have to buy baby food, they can just use their own organic food and they can save a lot money.

2) The store near me sells it for $20 cheaper then any other store.

3) That store near me, I'm for a personal reason connected to that store and they can give me a 15% discount on top.

I've asked other people if they would recommend it. They say yes, but don't own a Baby Bullet. So I'm wondering if anyone here is a parent and using the Baby food machine.

Would you recommend the Baby Bullet?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know about the baby bullet, but I've gotten plenty of use out of the normal magic bullet and if the baby bullet is built to the same quality, it could come in handy.

As a shower gift, the baby bullet would be pretty practical, but once the kid is born, I lean towards gifts that are a little more personal, like the kid's first stuffed animal, or a storybook you enjoyed as a young child or stuff like that.

3. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't know much about the "Baby Bullet" but when my brother had his twins, the wife wanted books, so I bought them books. (They wanted to start a library.)

Honestly, bonds aren't a bad way to go because almost everybody may think the way you do and but won't think about the bonds.

4. Anodythe

Anodythe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Making your own baby food can be labor intensive. I used to cook and mash squash, pumpkin and peas in large quantities and then freeze them in ice cube trays. It does take time, but I was pleased with the results.

If you can ask the parents-to-be about making their own, without letting on to your idea, do so. That way you will know if they really want to make their own im the first place.

Best wishes to your cousin!

5. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    The Bullets are usually pretty good machines, I've had one for several years now and it's performed well...as for a Baby Food one, I would suggest getting an idea if it would be used for that function b4 buying one for them...if the new mom and dad are working, they may not have the time or energy to make their baby's food..easier to buy it from the store...and some of them are without preservatives now, so a little more baby friendly, if they want less processed foods for the baby.

You could always buy it and keep your receipts, if they want something else, let them return it and get other items they would find useful...or just give them a gift card to the store you mentioned.

6. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Come to think about it, I usually make my own applesauce and even that takes some time.

7. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

I don't have any kids or own one, but can still contribute?

Ah whatever lol, I think it'd make a good gift. Some of those features are pretty handy, like the thing that tells you how long the food is good for. And I think the storage system is pretty nifty.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It would not be a good gift. Kids don't eat solid food for at least six months and even then maybe they don't want to make it, it can be a pain in the ass. A blender will do pretty much the same thing.

A Halloween costume is a far, FAR worse idea though. That's about the most useless thing you could waste money on, and if they decide to go to the trouble of dressing up the baby for Halloween (which they may not even want to do) they'll probably want to pick the costume themselves. Stick to something that new parents can actually use.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  9. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Also, keep in mind that some people choose 'baby led weaning' which is basically where you skip purees etc and just offer chopped/sliced baby food when the baby has lost most of their gag reflex. I followed blw so it would have been useless to me.

If you want to get something useful I can highly recommend the Bumbo! It looks so simple (and it is) but it is the best invention ever.

[​IMG][/IMG]

I had a blue one and the lilac one in the picture for my son and daughter. Best purchases ever!!!! You can get it with or without the tray and the tray is removable. The bumbo is made from a very dense foam stuff so it isn't hard plastic like it looks. It can be used for babies from a really young age because of the way it's designed. I used mine in the kitchen when cooking dinner, took it out with me everywhere so bub had a place to sit (it's very light and portable). It's one part (except the tray) so it's a breeze to clean (wipe with damp cloth).

10. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We had one (magic Bullet) for a few months a few years ago XD

Vey handy lil tool

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Why would you even get it without the tray? Have you heard about the recalls on these things?

12. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Meh, if I had a kid and someone bought me that thing at a wicked discount like that one, I'd use it. I have a normal magic bullet at home for smothies, so I can tell you it does make a nice mush.

13. PurdueAV2003

PurdueAV2003 Engineer

News Credits:
    Both my wife and I work at jobs that can be pretty intense. When we get home, the last thing we want to worry about is making sure we've made enough food for the baby. If they already intend on making their own baby food, it might be a good idea, but there are much better gifts.

Is this your cousin's first child? If so, let me suggest something we have done for several of our friends for their first borns. We will buy a Rubbermaid tote and fill it with essential baby consumables, such as diapers, wipes, baby oil/lotion, Desitin (a must!!!), baby soap and shampoo, baby Tylenol, etc. We received something similar from my wife's cousin when we had our first, and we didn't realize how much we hadn't thought about. We usually throw in some onesies, too, because you can never have to many of those around.

14. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

No, really? My first one didn't have a tray but my second I brought the tray. I used my first one heaps even with no tray as it was great for keeping my refluxey baby upright but allowing my hands to be busy doing other stuff. I just plonked him down somewhere in whatever room I was in (kitchen, laundry etc) and just chatted to him while doing what I needed to do. He hated lying down but couldn't sit up on his own either. Didn't like his swing or bouncy seat much either.

I have not heard of a recall? They are still sold everywhere here. I just sold mine actually (to a baby store that sells secondhand baby goods).

Ok, just googled. Seems like in the US there has been some kind of recall. Approx 30 babies were harmed from using the chair (or so I read) however it was noted that the babies that were harmed were placed in the bumbo and then NOT SUPERVISED and were placed on a high surface like a table top!!!! ANY piece of baby equipment can be dangerous without supervision. I never used my bumbo seat as a baby sitter, my babies only ever used them with me present and always on the ground, sometimes I wonder where common sense has gone? My friends child fell out of his (award winning) high chair and needed stitches. I have no use for a bumbo now, but if I have another baby I might consider not getting another one.......hmmmmm. Something to think about anyway! I am a bit depressed now, I totally LOVED mine and am not sure what other product on the market would be as good?

15. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

+1 for the bumbo. Used it with both my children and the recalls are due to STUPID parents who are not supervising their children. These poor kids were put in a bumbo seat, then placed on a table or countertop which they then rolled out of and fell off the high surface... Not smart parenting.

With anything new born related, you still must supervise your kids. Also, the kids shouldn't be placed in the bumbo seats for sometime. I have a feeling these award winning parents probably put the kids in there at very early age before they had neck and head control. We didn't start using the bumbo until out kids had head and neck control so they could keep their head upright. If they can't hold their head upright, of course if their head flops forward their weight is shifting the front which would be asking for trouble.

The bumbo was great for us although it had a very limited time of usage. Once they are able to crawl they can get out easily so it's time of use was limited.

If you get the one with the tray it also provides extra protection from the child being able to roll out of it forward.

Don't be turned off by this product. It is a useful infant item and I recommend it.

Mark

16. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, as a new parent, the gift we've gotten the most use out of was an Exersaucer for our daughter. She is old enough to use it now and it's great for keeping her interest and helping her "explore" her environment safely.

Although the bonds idea or even contributing to a state sponsored college fund would be an excellent alternative as well.

And completely agree about moron parents and the bumbo chairs. You HAVE to watch the kid. Idiots.

17. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I'm aware of the Bumbo.

I have a friend who works at ToysRUs and she says people use the Bumbo as a Car Seat, a high chair or a stool.