Would you read a ROBOTS IN DISGUISE comic?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Kickback, Aug 30, 2005.

?

Would you be interested in a RID comic?

1. Yes, RID needs some love!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes, but only if the art and writing is good

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Yes and no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, not until I see art and story

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I would like the story to be somewhat like Twin Twist's RID story he pitched a while ago at Grunge's Twisted Metal site. That being said, overall, I would like to see a reboot with a much serious tone, focusing on the Autobot's "robots in disguise/unseen guardians" theme. Also, to really make the Predacons a more dangerous and "evil" threat.

Maybe some humor can be thrown in once in a while, but not to the same slapstickness as the show did.

2. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

I would no problem. Love RiD. Even enjoy the TV show.

I'd prefer a prequel. Set up more like Car Robots. Cybertrons and Destrongers travel back in time from the future. I'd love the Ninja Spychangers, Autobot Brothers, Sky-Bite, Predacon Trio, and non-show characters as the focus. Maybe the how and why they each joined their squad. Or some history of them - why the Brothers are bros, Spychanger Ninja training camp, etc.

But regardless, it would need to have funny moments. And must break the fourth wall once.

3. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I think the best approach would be a continuity reboot much like their current plans for G1. (Just don't let Simon write it, get some fresh blood.)
    The RID Cast could then be made up of both fan favorites/main stay characters and non-show toy characters that don't have much characterization past the tech specs.

They should try to go a little more serious, but keep some comedic moments; I personally think Junko should be included, but have her more active in the TF world. (I'm not sure how they could do this, but I once wrote a story that was like a reboot and in it I made the character Koji's teacher... Of course I also had other plans for the human characters, but I sort of dropped the story because I didn't get enough feedback one way or the other.)

I guess that's all I have to say on the matter; except I think they should keep the Decepticons origins, but show a little more conflicting emotions between them and the Predacons. (Maybe even to such an extent that they would deliberately cause a character death of someone like Cryotek or Bruticus.)

4. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Yes but no "thunder kick" type attack yelling. I am going for choice #4.

5. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    That's a good question: why are those 3 bot brothers? They have the same creator, they were made from the same piece of metal? What? What makes them brothers?

6. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    This is where i'm at too. Some humor's ok, but i'd like the "Robot's in Disguise" theme to really be prevelent, and i always wanted the Preds to be like, scary and Psychotic, almost like deviant cannibal transformers feeding on other 'bots and earth vehicles, almost like a Dracula/vampire story (which kinda fits in with Gigatron/megatron anyways...)

7. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Yup, yup I'm on the same wavelength with the Predacon idea you suggested. Hell, they could even like the taste of fleshlings if they wish... :ev: 

Overall, there are many avenues to take with the series---as long as it doesn't end up being anyway similar to DW's oneshot or like the show.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Read? Yes.
    Clamor for? No.

I really don't think a RID title would be that successful. A one-shot as part of Evolution series is one thing; an actual miniseries probably woudn't do that well.

9. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

My question for those that state "I'd read it only if the story is good"...

How the heck can you tell if a story is good if you don't read it? You got to read a story to find out if a story is good, its not like its mutually exclusive here.

And no, taking, "I'll read it if others think a story is good" isn't kosher. People say that Moby Dick's a classic that's a good story. But, really, its not.

10. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I wouldnt go out of my way for it but it'd have to be a restart and have nothing to do with the show.

11. gil

gil Godmaster

I would pick it up. Come on you got a kick ass Optimus and Magnus that combine to friggin Omega Prime. RID is actually the last TF show I enjoyed watching. A lot of Japanese cartoons are wacky, or at least have wacky characters, so that was pretty much given that RID was going to have Wacky characters because it was a Japanese cartoon that they decided to show in America after it's run in Japan. Even Vash the Stampede in Trigun was kind of a wacky character sometimes. Maybe not as bad as Sideburn and the Preds, but still wacky.

As far as what I want to see in the comics, I do want them to make them a little more serious and start from scratch. The pred trio can be just as playful as the cartoon, but more on the crazy side, then the stupid side. Skybite is hard to say. He was fun in the cartoon, but if he get's serious in the comic, that would totally change his character. Megatron should be more kickass, because he is a kickass character if given the chance to shine by a writer. Oh yeah, Omega Prime and Scourge rules.

As far as what format it should be, I say ongoing, but I do not think it's going to last that long even if it kicks the shit out of comics based off of G1 or BWs. Anything less though, and I'm left with a cameo of Mega Octane, and maybe a few panels of Ruination vs. Rail Racer, and one panel of Hot Shot and so on.

Do I think it's going to do well? Maybe not. Not because it's RID, but because there is no show to go with it and it dosn't have that Nastalgia factor of G1 or even Beast Wars. If they came out with an Armada comic along with RID, I think both would do equally bad. Personally I would rather read about the RID tfs, over Armada, Energon, or Cybertron.

12. Baby Bumblebee

Baby Bumblebee Well-Known Member

the art and storyline better be slamming cause the show sucked.

13. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I'd be in for any of those, but there has to be some humor in there. Otherwise it wouldn't really be RiD.

I think Kelly Junko would be a good way to keep that humor.

14. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    im with boardwise: TF in comic title = buy!

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Thanks for all the input!

16. gil

gil Godmaster

Not to kiss a mods ass or anything, but I think Kickback should write a few stories in an RID comic book.

17. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Yes, and ideally it'd be a sequel to the show, with all the humour that entails. There are plenty of non show characters to explore. Indeed, to work in comic form it has to ideally up the sillyness a little bit.

Personally? I'd pitch 'Sky-Byte and Kelly's Holistic Detective Agency.' She's a girl. He's a 50 foot tall alien transforming robot shark. They fight crime.

Phazer

18. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

A comic like this has the opportunity to use characters from the other lines (G1, G2, BW, BM, Armada, Energon, etc) as new characters, since many of the characters in there are used from other lines, like G1 Bruticus, Fortress Maximus, the Machine Wars flipchangers, Spychangers, Laser Prime, and Transmetal beasts.

19. gil

gil Godmaster

Dude, My RID world is a little like that. I've got most of the RID line of toys. Other then the RID stuff, I've got a handfull of BW2 and Neo and those guys would fit in with the RID show. I've got the Predacons as RID Megatron, with Cryotek, Magmatron, and BW2 Galvatron leading a army of RID Preds plus the Cyborgs and some other Beast toys I forgot about (the ant, crab, and the purple tiger/bird).

As far as the Decepticons, Scourge broke away from the Preds and formed his own army, with the Destructicons, off air RID toys, and more repaints.

Autobots? Nah, they're at peace, My RID is a war between the Decepticons and Predicons.