Would you preorder Animated Season 3 through the club?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by quantumhawk, Dec 2, 2010.

?

Would you pay retail or slightly above for TF Animated Season 3 through the TCC?

1. Yes, I'd preorder it gladly, even if it was above retail.

31 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. Yes, I'd preorder it but only if it was the same price as the other two were at retail.

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. I'd buy it but only if they had the completed sets available and I could see the final product.

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. No, I am done with Animated and wouldn't be interested in preordering or buying this set.

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. quantumhawk

quantumhawk Retired Allspark Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had an idea and I was curious if anyone else thought it would be awesome.

Scenario: The TCC club licenses the rights to the TF Animated cartoon from whoever controls it right now (Paramount?). They take preorders online or maybe just at the con. Once they get X number of orders, they work with a partner company to do a run of Animated Season 3 on DVD. Maybe it's barebones, maybe it's in a fancy box with extras, depends on the cost difference. Would you pay in advance for this? Would you pay more than retail knowing it would be for a much smaller product run and that this was probably the only way you'd ever get this season on DVD?

I think it's exactly the sort of thing the club/con should be doing, and with some planning it seems like a guaranteed moneymaker. I bet there are people who would join the club in a heartbeat to get this but who have never joined for the exclusive toys available. Also, with Transtech Animated Cheetor coming, it seems like a perfect time to do this.

Thoughts?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I would.

3. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Me too

4. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    No doubt I'd preorder. I have my username for a reason.

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    As much as I love Animated I wouldnt want a TFCC deal. I want to be able to go to a store and pick it up. My main fear is TFCC would jack up the price because only they would have it.

6. quantumhawk

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You understand economies of scale, right? You know that the club can't make toys at the same profit margin as Hasbro or Takara given their much smaller run, much less DVD's which would have to involve another company altogether for production?

7. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I'd love for the whole series to be re-released on DVD (and in the case of Season 3, just released period), personally.

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I might consider joining the TFCC if they did offer it. But I doubt seriously that it would happen because the show is too tangled in legal red tape between Hasbro and CN.

9. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I snatched up all the available Animated DVDs when season 2 came out (and it was nice to see the pilot included "free" with the season 1 re-release). I'd be willing to pay a slight premium for season 3, since I don't want those episodes to be only available in a full series set. However, it had better have all the remaining "webisodes" shorts that aren't on DVD yet.

+-MWG-+

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd bite, but like Voiceroy said it's a legal/ownership/rights issue, not a demand issue like with the toys.

11. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    F yeah I'd pre-order it, cause honestly, right now I think that's pretty much the only way we're gonna get season three on DVD.

12. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Meh, I rather have a complete series set.

13. G1Jetfire

G1Jetfire Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yes! I'm in on pre-ordering it at above retail from TFCC

If TFCC are able to pull this off with animated season 3, then hopefully they can do the same with the other series not yet out on DVD, especially RID. The Transformers category needs more check marks on tvshowsondvd.com.

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In a heartbeat.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I think there are way too many loopholes and parties involved for TFCC to just get the license like that...

16. quantumhawk

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I didn't do a poll for "Do you think this is likely to happen or would be really easy"...let the club people worry about how to get it done. This is about consumer interest.

That said...if the rights-holder isn't going to produce a season 3, it seems like (esp with Hasbro helping) the club *might* be able to swing an affordable license fee. I don't know that it's doable to make a large-scale DVD release, but an on-demand production run with money up front? Warners has a burn-on-demand DVD process where they make it when you purchase it. I'm just saying, there are plenty of options and for a barebones "just the episodes" release, surely it could be done affordably. Heck, I'm sure someone on this site could burn the episodes to a DVD for the cost of the discs alone although obviously that wouldn't be legal to sell.

17. ZacharyBinx

ZacharyBinx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you search just right, there's a site that offers bootleg Season 3 DVDs. And it can be kind of a pain in the ass to order one, but it exists.

But if there was an official release, I'd have to see what kind of bonus features it had, and I'd want it to be sold at retail.

18. quantumhawk

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I figure anyone who wants to steal it already has done. Obviously we'd all love for the set to be released at retail, but realistically that's not going to happen at this point so I think this is the only practical alternative. I think in order for the club to consider it though they'd need to see some indication that there's interest out there.

19. atreyu2112

atreyu2112 Well-Known Member

I was *just* going to post about this. I'd join the TFCC just to get this on DVD, I'd buy it as a single season pack or buy the whole series if I had to (even though I already have S1+2).

Animated is still my favorite series of any TF era to date & it's really not fair that I can go get Voltron or He-Man complete series on DVD, yet not a Transformers series. Sucks...

PUT IT OUT! Find a way... please!

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    You can't license something for distribution that's not available to distribute. And I have a feeling we're in for a long wait before the air clears between Hasbro and CN over TFA.