Would you prefer to have robots like this in the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by vanylapep, Jun 10, 2009.

?

Would've like to see this instead of the movie's design?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. No

133 vote(s)
    90.5%
  1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Arrgh! Who so dares to disagree with popular opinion?! We should burn them at the stake! After them, Defenders of the Faith!

2. ManiactoaLaco

ManiactoaLaco Well-Known Member

Right, your popular opinion, of what, 10 people at the most. Against everyone else on this thread. And everyone else on the planet who liked the movies. Which is a hella lot more than the "Defenders of the faith."

BTW, the Defenders of the face might just have a flame war about to begin soon if this thread keeps going...

MTL

3. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I apologize, because those people are only 10, and the majority is far larger, they no longer have the right to vote how they want or freely speak their minds. You're right. I should have understood how the poster was wanting to alienate the dissenters was for the good of this board...

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    No thanks, I find gundams less interesting as a whole. Why have giant robots who fight in space when you can have giant robots that transform into giant weapons of death fight in space?

5. ManiactoaLaco

Well, you agree with me. Thats surprising. Thanks for being a good sport, I feel a little mean now...

Oh, wait I see the sarcasm there.

I more or less only said some of those things because you were coming off as a geewhuner no moovie person.

MTL

6. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

Like what?

7. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout In Existential Crisis Mode

News Credits:
    I never said a different approach couldn't work. I said that the simplified boxy approach presented via this Gundam design probably wouldn't have been as successful because Transformers, whether we like to admit it or not, was heavily advertised as a cool, cutting-edge CGI effects-driven action movie. The effects were instrumental at getting the laymen with no knowledge of the franchise to go see the movie.

There's also the consideration that what works for one movie will not work for another. Gundams are human-built and piloted machines, not sentient alien robots. A more organic and certainly more flexible design approach (and for clarification, yes. This can include more approaches than what the movie simply did, but the old school G1 approach is counter-productive) supports this concept much better than a boxy "soulless" machine.

Now there has been a shift, with RotF, to more simplified designs (and I do think most are better for it - Megatron, in particular, is 1000 times better than his first movie counterpart, which I never liked or thought was particularly good design, in the first place) but they're still far from G1 and far from the boxy robot aesthetic that is pretty common to Gundams and other Japanese mecha robots. As far as generic is concerned, the Decepticons may be more monstrous (scary-looking evil characters are nothing uncommon to both Hollywood *cough*Darth Vader*cough* or Transformers series *cough*Unicron's minions/Predacons*cough*) but overall the movie designs are far less generic, safe, and boring compared to the original design aesthetic (which, as I pointed out would never allow for creative approaches like Sideswipe's wheeled feet, the Arcee bots, the twins, or some of the Constructicons).

8. vanylapep

vanylapep Well-Known Member

Out of those 121 that voted no, how many of you are over 26 and how many of you have watched G1 on TV?

Now answer the real question: For the movie Transformers, do you drool more over the Transformers or Megan Fox?

9. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Yes, you are very very wrong.

10. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

is that a trick question?

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

With more and more robots in our entertainment and in our real world is there really such thing as the average robot anymore? From Metropolis in 1927 to the robot movies of this year there has been a lot of people taking a whack at movie robots and it's not always hard fast rules because you might say well the T-1000 is human shaped but then R2-D2 isn't.

Sort of see a flaw in the exposed is better argument at least from an engineering perspective. Yes exposed does mean you can get in there to work on it easier, but it also means you need an environment where things can't get stuck in there. So what might work fine on a factory floor to have things exposed would be a disaster for say a military ROV. For some robots the plating works like the skin on us organics, part of the reason you have skin is to keep anything from working it's way into your muscles because it would be a bad day with even a grain of sand rubbing between muscles.

I'm also think Transformers are more intelligent than us so they should want to be armored like we would if we had the option. I mean if your choice was run out on the battlefield all butt naked or with a helmet and body armor I'd sure take the body armor. So panels just seem like way they might not only protect themselves from the environmental hazards but also the hazards of the other robots wanting to shot or stab them.

12. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are we now going to "if you haven't watched G1 you don't know what you're talking about" territory?

13. vanylapep

Hell no.

Not everything is an attack.. it's ok to say "i saw G1 and would like to see robots like G1" and it's also ok to say "i never saw G1 and i love the robots in the movie". It's just different taste.. i'm just trying to see which one is more popular and where they are coming from.. you know, lots of people likes cheeseburgers but some prefer beans.. lots like Megan Fox, some prefer Oprah.

Before the 1st movie got released, the majority (not all, i know) of the people went mad over the movie's design, especially Starscream's chiken legs. Now that the movie is out, i'm just wondering if people came to accept the new designs and can look past it and enjoy the movie for what it is (but I'm sure more than 50% of people enjoyed the movie because of Fox not Transformers :) ).

It was the same problem with Wolverine.. (too tall, claws too short, etc), but then, after the movie, everyone loves Hugh Jackman.

14. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Well, designs like movie Starscream are what brought me back to the TF fandom after a 20 years hiatus. I think he looks friggin' great.

Grew up with G1 season 1 & 2, Macross/Robotech, loved it all...but I love the movie designs too.

I can already see design evolution & improvements from TF1 to ROTF ; yes, the movie verse designs evolve too.

15. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Members of this and other Transformer forums have made many, many posts regarding their likes and dislikes about the movie. Is a poll really needed "to see where they are coming from?"

Majority is a term which gets bandied about too loosely.

Majority of...what? All Transformer fans around the world? Fans from North America only? Fans who are members of TFW only?

Could you perhaps be perceiving the "majority" as a majority only because a small but vocal group were persistently criticizing the movie for it? Make enough noise and people jump on your bandwagon, if you will.

How sure are you that the majority of people who watched the movie are into white women?

The fact that you felt the need to declare that "I'm sure more than 50% of people enjoyed the movie because of Fox not Transformers :) " implies you are perhaps hoping your survey would get you the results you are looking for. Otherwise, you would not have asked how many of the No votes watched G1.

16. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

those movie robots look badass on screen, but they dont always translate every well as a toy...

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

When you compare the first movie robots to the new characters or the reformatted characters it would be hard to miss that the designs are evolving. Seems like the new bots are little less busy, a little more armored, and they don't have as many bits sticking out. Heck they even considered what's the trademark look on so many of the Megatrons over the years to upgrade Megatron with a nice big arm cannon in bot mode.

I imagine we will see designs evolve yet again for the third movie as they go back and examine the public's feedback on what worked well visually and what didn't pop as big as they hoped.

18. ManiactoaLaco

Yeah, with the plates on/exposed wiring, you sorta need a comprimise, or something in between.

MTL

19. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

Huh? Do you guys actualy read what I wrote? Or do you just try to provoke needless drama by reading falsely into my comments?

I said "I'm COOL WITH the movie designs" not "I think they are pretty cool."

Huge frickin diffrence there dude.

When I say I'm cool with my exwife. This means we have an understanding, we have moved past the crap and have found a degree of acceptance. We can be pleasant around each other without pushing each others buttons...This does not mean I think she is pretty cool, ya dig?

So when I say I'm cool with the movie designs that means "I accept them"...not "I embrace them"...not "I think they are awsome"...and not "I think they are total crap".

This does not mean I want the movie designs to look like your average gundam...or even be reproductions of the g1 designs either. I'm not such a fan that I can't accept changes or even others opinions. I think the toys of the movie designs look better than what is seen on screen. With the toys they don't have the capacity to accuritely model every detail nor make it transform exactly as on screen, and thus to me the toys look less "noisy" or "buisy"...and because the toys can actualy transform, they seem more solid and better "fleshed" out, and thus better designs to me than what is seen on screen. The movie toy design to me = "pretty cool", the actual CG designs on screen = "I'm cool with"

Now when I said the movie designs were "boreing safe and predictable". Notice that was in the SAME frickin paragraph where I elaborated on why I have that opinion (influence of H.R. Giger's Alien design in big budget Hollywood films)....This does NOT mean that I think the concept artists did crap work, or that the movie designs are copies of Gigers work...It was a dig on Hollywood for yet again going back to the same well (Giger's Alien design) for inspiration.

There is zero call for the extreamisam in viewpoints on something as subjective as the "coolness" of a fictional robot design. If you love them, and someone else isn't as enthusiastic about them it doesn't automaticly mean they are some geewon-ner, "trukk not monkey", etc.

At 38, I am likely older than most all of you. My first exposure to transformable robots was the old Shogun Warriors toys in the 1970s. I got hooked on anime back then through Battle of the Planets, Force Five and Starblazers. I don't have any real ties to the original Transformers TV show, I just liked the toys...especialy the ones that came from anime series that I knew about (Jetfire, Roadbuster, Whirl, and to some extent the delux insecticons). By the time the animated Transformers movie came out I was watching Zeta Gundam and L-Gaim through the old snail-mail VHS basied anime clubs at the time. Transformers at the time to me, was just an easy way to get ahold of a Takatoku designed "chunky monkey" VF-1 Valkyrie toy. Eventualy I came around becomeing interested in the rest of the toy line. Even now I'm first and foremost a fan of the Transformers toys, NOT the characters, story, etc. I don't collect them all, not even close, just pick up what I find interesting.

When the Bay movie came out, I was reluctant to see it...not because the bot designs...or what they would do with transformers "universe"...but because its a Bay movie. I think the first film was rather meh, parts of it worked others didn't...but this again has nothing to do with the looks of the "bayformers".

This doesn't mean my opinions are more correct that anyone elses. Just don't assume I'm the same type of guy you may have argued with in the past. I'm here because of the toys, not because of the "universe" of stories and characters created through the line. Brave Leader Daimos has far more sentimental connection to me than G1 Optimus Prime.

-sorry for the length of this :( 

20. vanylapep

[​IMG]