Would you pay more for quality?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TJOmega, Nov 6, 2007.

1. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    This idea struck me after a trip to Target yesterday. For the first time I found Thundercracker and Rescue Ratchet, but I had to pass on both. I passed on 'Cracker because they were down to one G1 Starscream, half off, couldn't pass that. And Rescue Ratchet I want bad, but I passed it because the paint aps were horrible, especially on the door. Nicks and overspray, paint that didn't go to the edges of the door, red lines on areas that were flat white... messy, no thanks.

So I walk out with Screamer and Air Raid cause I love that trippy 8-bit camo job. I picked this one out through four of these cause I kept seeing speckled and chipped paint aps that bugged me on the others, and even this one ended up having a green blot on his canopy. Top this off I get a left hip that's super tight, and a right that's... well, not.

This lead me to this thought. If they offered a variant line of main line figures, probably store exclusive, that cost more, say $12-15, that were guaranteed to have the best paint aps and the best joints possible, no parts damaged or missing in the package, top notch quality checking, would you buy it instead?

In my history of buying modern figures, I've gotten a Cybertron Bendy Prime with an unpainted faceplate, one Cybertron Downshift with one eye unpainted and another with two left fists, a movie Payload with his entire head and upper torso missing right out of the bubble and a replacement who's gimmick kept getting stuck and popped parts off him when used. And I lost track of how many figures with loose joints, my Universe Repugnus has a right elbow that'll probably drop just from the weight of the dust he'll build up. Personally, if I knew the toy was top grade, I'd be willing to pay the extra.

And before you say no, think of this, online shopping. How much does it suck to finally break down and order a figure off an expensive eBay listing only to find sloppy paint aps or bad joints on the figure when you get it? Or an online shop that uses stock photos so you don't know what you're getting at all quality-wise? Think of how much this would have saved the Titanium line just for starters.

2. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I won't pay more, I already pay insane $52 for a Voyager class. But better paint apps' yes thank you.

I have a MISB Classics Ultra Magnus vs Skywarp set where one of Skywarps launchers is missing the silver paint app.
    [​IMG]

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I already pay more than enough for figures as it is.

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I've never had a problem with paint apps/qc on my TF's. In the long run, I think that most complaints about these issues are nitpicky. In the end, it's just a toy.

5. SureShot90

Ebay:
    It might be but you still pay full price for a figure thats missing something.

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I thought thats what the MP line was essentially; better quality and more detailed. I would pay more, but not buy as much.

7. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Yet look at the horrible quality control of MP03 SS. Mine was missing parts and paint out of the box and the second one I ordered was decent, however it had a huge stress mark on the bottom of the tail rudder right out of the box. At least it wasn't missing parts though.

I would pay a couple dollars more per figure to ensure it's a quality figure.

8. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Yea unfortunately MP-05 Megatron isn't aware of that :p 

9. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Simply put, Hasbro needs to step up to the plate and begin taking pride in their products again.

Hasbro is making more than enough money from sales from the Transformer brand, and for them to simply look the other way while the quality of their products goes down the drain is simply inexcusable.

I recently went through -eight- resuce Ratchets, and when I finally found-one- that had nice outside paint apps, I go home, take the figure out, and transform him only to find red paint splotched on his face, blended paint on his chin, and one eye lacking paint.

Now, if this were a really bad bootleg, I could understand that type of lack of quality control, but not from Hasbro.

It seems a common theme among many of us that the quality control for the Transformer line has been detoriating since the Armade/Energon line. Hasbro needs to look past the fat profits and remember those that support the brand, whether life-long fans, or new ones.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    MP-05's rusty feet beg to differ.

11. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I'd pay for higher quality figures. I really want Hasbro or Tomy Takara to release an exact replica of TF robots. I don't care if they dont transform coz we know the fact that Hollywood did a little cheating on the transformation but what I would like is that near exact replica includes the TF's alternate form so I can proudly display both robot and Alternator form. Hope some company do this.

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I pay too much for normal mainline as it is.

Deluxes translate from £10 to just over $20, Voyagers are over $40 and leaders are an insane $80.

13. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Most of these complaints have addressed the movie line and classics. where in the paint scratches off. (don't test this. I hav'ent, but don't scratch them!) I believe I heard from botcon the animated line will be useing a high gloss finish not only to give a smooth look and feel but to protect the detailed paint apps below (a transparent protective paint layer.)

As insane as hasbro useing extra paint layers despite the cost is their actually stepping things up that way.

14. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    I already pay more for quality. That's why my shelves aren't full of things called Poison Gas Car or Send The Books.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Okay, that reference went over my head. :) 

zmog

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Me, personally, no. Other then some minor paint blotches (off the top of my head the only one I can think of is Classics SW with a nick on his silver face paint) and minor imperfections (again, only one I can think of is a stress mark on Movie Jazz' spoiler) I haven't had any problem buying figs with top notch quality.

But then again, I buy to display and 'play' with, so small nics and scuffs don't bother me. As long as the bot is in one piece as it should be I'm fine as is.

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Those are a couple of knock-offs. I don't remember Poison Gas Car off the top of my head, but Send the Books is a KO Optimus Prime (I believe the Robot Master one, but it might have been Energon).

18. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

I ended up buying a Swindle from Target which had two right hands.

I didn't realize it until a few days later.

19. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

I would be willing to shell out a couple bucks extra for guaranteed quality. I would also pay extra to online sellers for pristine packaging, and do sometimes.

I don't see something like this ever coming about though. It would expose Hasbro's QC problems, and make them own up to them in the form of a "flawless toyline". I'm sure many, many people would say that they should just make quality figures in the first place.

It probably wouldn't be too smart on Hasbro's part to admit that their original toys needed to be upgraded because of QC issues exclusively.

20. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

There's never going to be a 100% perfect assortment of mass produced figures sold to the masses, even if Hasbro did release a "Flawless Toyline". That alone would be enough to warrent the fact that such a thing would never exist. But regardless, the overall percentage of flawed toys that make it out to retail is fairly small and I'm sure Hasbros working to keep it as low as they can.