Would you pay more for Modern Diecast?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kylash327, Jul 16, 2010.

?

Would you pay more for diecast parts or rubber tires in modern figures?

1. No way, i hate diecast.

29 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. Yes! I love diecast & rubber tires!

31 vote(s)
    40.8%
  3. I would only pay more for diecast parts.

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. I would only pay more for rubber tires.

14 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, most definitely. Henkei got bonus points for the chromed weapons/missiles (like G1) but if they'd gone that little bit extra and thrown in diecast - good grief, it would've been the best modern TF series of toys ever!!

IMHO, diecast is the ultimate for all TFs. Just gives them a...feel of quality. Like the OP, I can't help but feel many modern TFs "feel" cheap.

2. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, diecast does nothing for me.

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    my armada scavenger's tread has came apart

no to die cast, no to rubber tires, both cause too much problems, the figures we got now are fine, and rubber tires just add more headache when flea market hunting cause if you find an incomplete bot chances are it now is missing its tires and you got to track those down as well lol

4. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I would only pay more for Diecast parts, as long as they are in spots where it'd work. Titaniums messed up diecast pretty bad by putting the diecast in random spots.

5. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Basically this, excpet I would have sworn more and mocked people that like diecast but if every one can just take that as a given I can save myslef some typing.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No to both, for all the reasons already repeatedly mentioned in this thread. It's not that I "hate" them (that word gets thrown around too much, IMO), just that they're inferior to the plastics and other materials used in modern toys.

7. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Leave the die-cast out of generations. It's fake quality.

The heft is what you think is quality, but to me, all that means is shrapnel, and broken pieces. There's a reason G1 die-cast toys are worth a good amount nowadays... Not many survived being hybridized plastic and metal. That's not quality. Quality is you buy a toy, and it survives everything you throw at it. That's quality.

That being said, diecast is what sold me on FP's Warbot. xD

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I would pay more to not have die-cast if I had to. Die-cast is rubbish on today's toys. They're far too complex, posable and intricately detailed to have die-cast metal parts.

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    YES! That is why I love Titaniums and Alternity. A die cast Classics Figure would be AWESOME! Plastic feels cheap.

10. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    A lot of people seem to say die cast sucks and point to Titaniums. We all know Titaniums are far from the best execution, and really had too much metal. When I think of the ultimate Transformer with die cast it would have 30% to 50% die cast at the MOST, the die cast parts could be painted and would look awesome.

Also the modern plastic Transformers are going to be no more durable 25 years down the road than G1, probably less so. Plastic is not more durable than metal, and yes painted plastic scratches just like metal paint chips. Hell I have a hard time finding brand new toys in the store that don't have scratches on them from the factory. I have to look through many TFs to find one worth buying.

As far as G1 rubber tires they last if you take care of them, none of my G1s have cracked tires. I would guess also the quality of construction has something to do with it as I have seen newer stuff (RID, ect) with the cracked rubber tires.

11. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I prefer rubber tires over plastic my self, but some of my rubber tires tend to crack over time. I think it's due to our dry climate or something.
    I wish somebody could recast rubber tires just as Darkov recasts plastic parts.

12. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

Instagram:
    I love the look of g1 figures on shelf. Between the gleeming metal painted parts, use of chrome, and shiny stickers, they just look much cooler and pop out more than my newer dull looking plastic transformers.
    I would with out a question spend more on metal and rubber parts

13. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    die cast dinobots? Hell yes.
    Die cast MP figures? Hell yes.

Die cast normal TF's for 4 year old snot nosed johnny?

Hell NO!

14. poorboy8u

poorboy8u Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    mp prime tipping over constantly..nuff said.

15. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    My old G1 tires are just fine.

If they made a limited and more expensive collectors classics edition with die cast and rubber wheels. I would buy those in a second.

16. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I see almost no redeeming value in die-cast. Rubber tires would be nice, but a complete waste on some figures, considering how many kibble-icious car undersides we've seen in the recent years. Thank you for being a good example, ROTF Ratchet.

17. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The alternity line are a great example. I like the rubber tires and the good paint jobs more than diecast. If diecast is used well, I'm happy to have it. In the case of the convoy in that line, none of the outer body is diecast, but there are pieces inside that are. Unfortunately they're placed in a way that just throws off the toys balance.

18. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Yes to rubber tyres, but a definite no to die-cast on the basis of paint chips and often top-heavy toys. MP Prime, I'm looking at you.

19. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:

Tell that to the minibots that survived ages upon ages of time as pure plastic, whereas G1 toys broke in random spots. Yeah, my classics are going to survive far longer than G1 toys ever could for being hybridized.

Modern plastics survive, metal is rigid and does not. That's fact, hybridized figures just don't hold up over time. That's why it's a huge collector's market not just in transformers. Pure plastic figures survive, hence why they rarely are as valuable than pristine hybridized figures. Any antique store that specializes in toys will tell you that.

As for rubber tires, that's all about the storage location. I've never had any rubber on any generation corrode split, or otherwise degrade, whether it's original, RiD, or otherwise.

It's not that I hate die-cast, it's just not practical, nor durable. Countless broken g1 toys at only the hybridized spots of where plastic meet metal is the prime reason to this. Many had some of the same issues to Binaltech before it switched to pure plastic. It's just not practical for modern toys outside of small inconsequential runs. I'm a fan of die-cast when done right, but Die-cast in the likes of generations drift/blurr, or even universe 2.0 prowl or ironhide is just asking for broken figures that can't be fixed. As they are now, they will survive the test of time, at most just having to pop a limb back on.

While many harp on Titanium, I gotta say the few figures of that I have, are extremely durable. They fixed the shrapnel issues G1 toys were prone to with them by using far thicker metal than the originals ever used. Now does that make it a great figure line? By no means, but the die-cast quality in it was extremely high. The sculpts and usage of it, varied. But compared to things like G1 Prowl, titaniums will hold up for ages, whereas prowl doesn't. The same can be said for many G1 figures that were hybridized, they just don't last under play conditions, whereas modern toys do. Now while some kids are rougher than others, even a delicate touch eventually will break grimlocks tail, or prowl's hood, among the many other ungodly amounts of break spots that have happened to collections over the years that weren't on shelves or in careful storage.

Heck I've seen g1 figures just break being carried to and from a house in a grocery bag, whereas modern toys just don't.

20. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    I've seen plenty of broken minbots, its all about how you take care of them.
    I don't think anyone will argue a lump of plastic, or 4 small parts like a vintage Star Wars fig, is less durable than a complex transforming toy. It's about the parts and complexity, just as many "played" with modern toys will be broken over time as with the older toys. There are more parts to turn/move and much more likely to break. I'm speaking in general terms of what happens to a toy in normal use like a kid would use in. Even the pop out parts will over time round out the plastic and not stay in, the plastic can crack and split over time, ect..
    So, yes an older toy with 25+ year old engineering might not be as durable as some newer figs, but that's not what we are talking about here. Brand new figures with the latest design, and a few metal parts in some areas. Yes, these would be reserved as more collector toys and would cost more, but enough people would by them. I could question carrying around vintage toys in a grocery bag but if they were in said bag with cans of corn I imagine they might break.:wink: 

I'm wondering where all the Binaltech fans are that used to bash the US versions. I actually like the US versions of those, the price hike for the imports is too high, but I would have paid 25 or 30 for an Alternator with a bit of diecast when they were out.