Would you like Upscaled POTP Dinbots?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Optronix1087, Feb 19, 2018.

1. kukuburd

kukuburd Eh?

I agree. Heh. But they own the IP, so...there's that.

I feel that the thrilling 30s and tf prime first editions were the last of the Hasbro mainline stuff that were worth buying into for adult collectors. The stuff they're pumping out with the latest potp and going back to combiner wars stuff are nothing more than kids toys, meant for kids and kids only.

Other than some passable detailing with the sculpt, nothing in their engineering, aesthetic design, nor materials used in the mainline toys nowadays is even worth a second look for me. Just look at how they're still recycling the old combiner pegs and lazy use of thighs as elbow joints for one. Overly simpified transformations with the bare minimum when it comes to posability. Cheap, thin plastic with even cheaper stickers, applied poorly, replacing paint detailing and tampo prints. Joints that are loose right out of the box. Endless retooling molds into characters that barely fit the aesthetic (potp voyager elita, retooled from starscream..wtf?) Silly gimmicks that no adult collector in their right mind would really care for (primemasters? slag's prime armor/combiner hands that peg into bot mode chest like a baby carrier? Yikes).

All in all, yes, we shouldn't be comparing mainline hasbro stuff to expensive 3Ps like FT. And there isn't really a need to anyways when you realise that adult collectors are not the intended target market.

I'm sure weijiang would pick a few of the latest potp stuff to upsize and add diecast to them, but end of the day it's still based off the same crappy design. It may be enough for some, and if so I'm happy for you. But threads like these makes me wish that Hasbro would stop pumping out substandard toys that progressively get more dumbed down and cheapened with each iteration.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  2. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    No, they're fugly at any scale. I'll stick with MFT thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess that makes me a big ass kid then. I love the potp dinobots so far, still waiting on the last 2. I personally would like to see the limbs scaled up to voyager size to match Grimlock and make Slash larger as well. Maybe even remove the combiner gimmick, although part of me does want all 6 to be OS for a much larger combiner.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RIDRuination

RIDRuination Well-Known Member

With you right there, Swoop in particular is a fave Deluxe of mine for a ton of reasons. I would have liked to have seen the Dinobots get the Titan Class treatment because I think Volcanius & Grimlock woulda been a little less compromised *And it's only the Dino mode that's iffy for Grim & just the tail imo* but hey that's life.

Would love to see someone take a stab at a Voyager Grimlock replacement ala Lone Wolf but actually done well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes !

6. Optimus.Magnus

Optimus.Magnus Swingin' the chain

As much as I adore the look of Shuraking, it's way too big for my collection scale. So yes, Voyager limbs and a nigh-leader class Grimlock. Or in the words of Strongbad, "Very yes."

7. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aside from the general rallying cry of how ugly these guys do or don't look, I don't know if he'd really be structurally sound if he got bigger. I feel that the way he's designed doesn't really suggest he should get any larger, as a lot of how he stays in combined mode seems rooted in the tolerances that you can afford in a smaller scale.

In other words, unless they're going to /really/ upscale the KO like you see in some of the Wei Jiang "KO+" releases, I think a OS POTP Dinobot combiner would turn into a floppy mess like a drunk uncle at the family reunion. I could be 100% wrong, though.

• Like Like x 2
  8. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I own a great number of third party figures. I'm not afraid to delve into those prices. I sold MP-08 to make way for Grinder.

Comparing something like Shuraking to Potp Dinobots is just really silly. They serve completely different purposes.

9. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    sadly, sadly, the combiner wars versions of the Dinobots are by far the worst iteration of the team available. I have no interest in the upsized version of these and frankly only moderate interest in getting the other two Limb Bots. Grimlock himself is a hard pass from me.

I am also strongly considering getting the upscale I am also strongly considering getting the upscale dx9 knockoffs, even though I already have four of the actual official dx9 Dinobots.

10. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    I'd prefer it if they just redesigned the whole thing. The dinobots are my absolute favorite but volcanicus looks like a bot from ben 10 not tf

• Like Like x 1
  11. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Not fair to compare with the 3p Combiner dinos

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Not upscale. Upclass.
    If they're bigger, they don't work as limbs for other torsos. Just add the missing paint, chrome, plastic, joints, etc.

The same, but better.

And redo Grimlock from scratch!

13. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    For those who want a bigger size? Sure! As for me, I'm happy with em. They're just right for my shelves.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    Upscaled POTP Dinobots? HELL NO!

Upscaled POTP Terrorcons? HELL YES!!!

15. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

Have you ever been committed to a psychiatric hospital?

16. Hatchet Ratchet

Hatchet Ratchet Master of Disaster, Apprentice of Hugs

Honestly, I have fond memories of my relatively small G1 Dinobots. Must take into consideration these are $15-30 toys so for then price of entry for someone who wants that

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I need opinions here:
    While I would like MFT’s Dino’s I’m impatient... and MFT doesn’t have Snarl. So for now I have a Grimmy... I picked up Snarl because there’s no MFT Snarl...(already had Slag from before I discovered MFT)...

But should I consider this team good enough in looks? Or are they too inconsistent?

2FD3A079-F02B-4197-BEA5-2CC1F9257DC7.jpeg

18. ReximusPrimal07

ReximusPrimal07 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want a voyager slag snarl and sludge and we are good. Swoop is fine as a deluxe

19. kukuburd

kukuburd Eh?

That depends on you dood. Personally i think they look fine together.

20. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

We're getting more characters out of them than 3rd party. Where's their Quake? Their Triggerhappy? I don't want 7 different Devastators, I want variety. 3rd parties would kill the line in 3 months, tops.

Anywho, for my usual dinosaur opinions, I'm mixed on Shuraking in regards to this? Because while I love some of the individual robots, to the point their Sludge is the only version of Sludge that gives me the big nostalgia vibes for G1 Sludge, I really don't like the combiner mode because its just so... Boring. They just slap a big ol' shield over the chest when at least Volcanicus tries something different with Grimlock

However as we all know, I have strong opinions on dinosaur modes for Dinobots. And quite frankly, the PotP Dinobots are lacking. So they should instead upscale the one worthwhile Grimlock, with an alternate mode that actually vaguely resembles the thing its trying to be.

I speak of course of Classics Grimlock.