Would you like to see gimmicks in fiction?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OP84, Dec 7, 2011.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Since the Aligned continuity (WFC/Prime) has established Mini-Cons into the universe with the Deployers (Laserbeak, Frenzy, Rumble), I thought it might be interesting to see other gimmicks like Automorph, MechAlive, Stealth Force, and MechTech in other fiction. Now I know there were the Cyber Keys from Cybertron and High Moon Studios included the Stealth Force thing into the DOTM prequel game but I thought that since Transformers is an action figure brand, they should always some type of non-obtrusive gimmick and since the Mini-Cons don't get that much screen time in WFC or Prime, it would be interesting to see more gimmicks get put in this way without focusing the entire series on it (yes, that means you Cybertron).

2. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    MechTech and MechAlive would look pretty fancy in animation, so I'd like to see those. Automorph would just be transforming.

Other gimmicks... really depends. Soundwave deploying his little minions is always cool, but I don't really like tiny-vehicles-that-should-be-giant hooking onto (comparatively) giant-vehicles-that-should-be-tiny, or Cyberkeys.
    It also depends on how the show is written. Beast Wars was successful at bringing new toys (and their gimmicks) about naturally, as opposed to G1 or RiD that just randomly brought in new guys that were (more often than not) supposedly "always there."

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My favorite gimmick is taking a car and turning it into a robot. Any other gimmick just detracts from that.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The gimmicks always made sense to me as a way of both sides trying to get an edge in an ongoing arms race, and I dont see why various gimmicks couldn't be integrated into the fiction in a relevant, interesting, and exciting way.

5. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Here's what MechTech would've looked like if it had been in the films:

[​IMG]

6. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on the gimmick.

7. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

I have no opinion either way.

8. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Establish that Soundwave's minions are mini-cons would be a good start if not already done so.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Headmasters and Targetmasters. Especially city-sized Headmasters.

11. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    the Headmasters idea is pretty nice (bonding with another in order to increase one's tactical ability and skill in battle)

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Actually, that's just the new name they're giving the old tape cassettes so they can still pop out of Soundwave. The term "deployers" has been used before:
    Deployer (BM) - Transformers Wiki

Automorph and MechAlive were sort of a reverse application of what you're talking about. Automorph was to simulate multiple parts transforming at the same time in autotransformation, while MechAlive was parts of the figure that served to simulate moving internal parts when parts of the figure were moved. I'm pretty sure StealthForce got used in DOTM at at least two parts (opening raid on the nuke facility, and the highway scene with Sideswipe).

Well, the ability of transforming is a gimmick, but it usually doesn't seem that way due to it being so integrated into the very essence of all Transformer characters.

And I find it funny you only call out Cybertron on the idea of basing the entire cartoon around a gimmick, when its original predacessor in the Unicron Trilogy; Armada, was litteraly nothing BUT "collect all the Mini-cons you can for more power!" for the entire first half of the series.

...unless you loose the head, leaving you with a headless toy robot.

13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    this x 10000000

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Reminds me of what Beemer used to say, TF'ing is the gimmick!

That being said, I've no problem with a gimmick being used in a series if it's well integrated and not just put in either just for the sake of pushing a play pattern, or purely as an afterthought.

15. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I stole the concept of my statement from someone who said something similar. I don't remember who though.

16. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

a robot turning into either a vehicle or animal is an awsome gimmick

17. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

Cyber planet key's sound familiar?

18. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I would love to see Target/Power/Micro Masters show up, but be called "Minicons", I hate Headmasters so I don't want to hear of them anymore, they can just function as Power Masters.

Action Masters could be cool if it was like a special corps of 'bots giving up their abilities to transform to hold more weaponry.

Cyber Planet Keys would need a heavy re-write to even be close to "realistic". I'd love to see Combiners if they made lore to connect to Nexus Prime.

I'm cool with Pretenders (Minicon ones to imitate humans). MechTech technology wouldn't be terrible (maybe Mech's making that Tech?).

I hate the concept of City-Bots, though I like Trypticon and Omega Supreme as ships. I'd also be cool with Triple Changers.