Would you like to say some REALLY alien transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Vector Squidma, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Vector Squidma

Vector Squidma Smalltime Casual

News Credits:
    I've never really liked aliens that look just like people with bumpy heads or in rubber suits. I mean I know all about convergent evolution and all that, but I think it's far more realistic and interesting when aliens are as inhuman looking as can be. Now I was wondering how that might be applied to Transformers. Now granted the movieverse has skewed a little towards the alien side with robots like Arcee, Demolishor, and The Doctor, but never to the degree of the creations of Wayne Barlowe for example. So I'm just wondering, would you ever like to see Transformers with robot modes like this:

[​IMG]

or this?

[​IMG]

or this?

[​IMG]

2. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Huge fan of crazy/weird/alien designs (and Wayne Barlowe), and the Movie 'Cons have been my favorite TFs since those Fuzors. So I'd like to see more bizarre Transformers, as long as it's 'works' (i.e. decent posablility, doesn't look like an afterthought).

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Hells yeah I'd like to see some crazy looking Transformers like that. Maybe not like the second pic, since they wouldn't look as dangerous or combat-capable, but yeah, nutty robot modes are totally my thing.

4. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Transformers are all one species, yet we get all kinds of weird shapes like Demolishor, Rampage, Ravage, etc.
    Non-biped robot modes actually give off the sense that Transformers are ALIENS. Although we may imagine aliens looking really human, that is simply brought on by our psychology surrounding the unknown. We try to link it to what we DO know. Xenobiology doesn't work that way. Planets have different atmospheres, different positions relative to their sun, some exist in binary systems, and all kinds of other factors that the life would need to adapt to. Aliens might not even have DNA, but rather another kind of bio-molecule to encode their genetic data.
    In short, if Transformers were to exist in the real world, they wouldn't look all that human.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    No thanks, Animorphs was dreadful

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Eh, that's a bit too out there for my liking. I draw the line at what we got for Bayformers.

7. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Eh, I think the Movies are enough for me.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I've got to say no.

Weird aliens are okay for something that you don't have to put human qualities on, but once you get too weird it's hard to follow what an alien is feeling or thinking. Sort of like how the aliens from Aliens are okay for characters with no thoughts beyond just kill, but something like a Klingon would be missing what makes them work if you couldn't read their facial expressions.

That and for Transformers it just bugs me when they don't look like they all belong to the same species. A mutation here and there isn't bad but when you've got weird things like random number of arms, some have legs some have wheels, random number of fingers and stuff like that it drives me insane. Part of the reason humans could evolve with things like tools and transportation is because even with the variation to humans things like 10 fingers and two legs are pretty much standard equipment.

9. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Pass

10. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I'm indifferent about this, but after the discovery of arsenic based life forms on earth, I do have to wonder just how much would aliens truly differ?

Then again it could be both, some could be mildly close to us in bipedal, with different other features, and others could be wildly different to the point of whatever. Environment will play the key factor to this would be my assumption for the evolution of any species.

For one like cybertronians though, since they can change their shape, it wouldn't be a far leap to say they would look more human like in the ones trying to befriend us, whereas the ones who don't care would look more native to their home or otherwise appear as they pleased and not care what other species think.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd rather see more non-traditional mechanical alt modes, but I think we see a great deal already in various "Cybertronian" alt modes.

In terms of robot modes that aren't really humanoid, I think there's plenty of room in the mythos for it.

12. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

Hot damn those pics are awesome:drool: 

But nah, Demolishor already got people bitching, you think they'd accept these?

13. Evil Dead

Evil Dead Well-Known Member

Transformers are really the only kind of aliens I'm okay with, and so I'd have to say I much prefer them to be in more of a robot form than not.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'd prefer the robot end of Transformers to be played up more. I think it would end up with much the same effect. I think having some TFs with 3 arms or things that are not "humans who turn into cars" (which is what much of the fiction is like, honestly, especially with robot romantic love, etc.).

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    On paper I like the idea of alien beings having weird, wonderful creative alien forms. In practice, I really like the TFs I've been getting the last 4-5 years. Beast Wars was enough of a change for me.

16. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind a few TFs like that, but not an entire line. I think an entire line of extremely alien looking TFs would probably fail.

17. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

No. It was already too much with Bayverse for my liking, and somethign like what you posted would be...um...

...Actually, what would they turn into again? :p 

18. Vector Squidma

Vector Squidma Smalltime Casual

News Credits:
    They're all from this guy's Deviantart profile. Check em out!

In all honesty though, I don't think an entire line with such alien designs would work too well. I think Autobots should stay mostly humanoid and Decepticons should stay mostly spikier and meaner humanoids. But I would love to see a third faction get involved that was this weird looking. Like can you imagine what movieverse Quintessons might look like? I would love to see them.

19. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Robot modes no, but alt modes I'd be for.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Personally, I'm cool brah. I'm cool with what we got.

I like the direction they were taking some of the robits in ROTF. I all for more dudes like Demolishor and Arcee (long as the toys don't suck).