Would you like to have seen Megatron’s redemption?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jun 2, 2012.

?

Would you have liked to have seen Megatron’s redemption?

1. Yes

87 vote(s)
    65.9%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Don’t know

12 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Sometimes what makes villains great is their capacity for redemption. There are some bad guys who unexpectedly do awesomely heroic deeds that make one wish that they’d be on the heroic side. Some renowned examples of bad guys gone good are Piccolo and Vegeta (DRAGON BALL Z), Desslok (YAMATO), and of course the grandmaster of them all, STAR WARS’s Darth Vader.

So when the plot element of Megatron turning on Sentinel Prime was revealed, I was at first surprised, but later came to like it. There was a possibility that this was a version of Megatron who could repent for the deeds he’s done, who would call an end to the war and conquest he’d set off (before it was mainly Galvatron who went that route, I think it’s a first for Megatron) and settle for Optimus’s wish to live in peace.
    Of course it wasn’t an entirely pure change of heart: Megatron was taking back his position as Decepticon leader, and refused to be anyone’s outright servant or slave (I consider the Fallen a different matter – as a first Transformer ancestor who directly ordered his revival, he HAD to respect him; besides he was held in regard as a disciple or apprentice rather than a minion). But what happened next (according to the comic novelization) was nice: Megatron wished only to rebuild his home, he had seen what he had lost in his warlord madness, and wished only to restore things as much as he could; he was willing to spare the Autobots and humans and let them stay on Earth, while he and his Decepticon armada took care of rebuilding their homeworld (not only would he be the sole ruler of his own restored home, but he need never hear from the humans or Autobots ever again).

To my great displeasure, such a great aspect was severely mutilated and underutilized. Megatron was portrayed as a shambles of a leader, he resorted to a fall-back plan that could have only worked with Sentinel Prime around, he took to employing human agents that he formerly found disgusting, and he is manipulated by one of them into fighting his co-conspirator (in the comic it just looked like a mere taunt, here it gives undue advantage to Carly). The battle lasted less than one minute, and what does anyone get for it? Cybertron is destroyed and Optimus Prime cuts his head off, just like that.

Most people are on the fence about this: some say Megatron deserved that axe through his head and it was the only way to bring an end to the war, others say that it demeans both Optimus and Megatron not to accept this truce (Optimus being his noble pacifist nature, and Megatron looking at the big picture: in the end he gets to stay Decepticon leader, in charge of his own home).
    I take to the latter view: practically, it would have guaranteed a reboot with both Optimus and Megatron being alive to renew the war, and the fanboy in me wishes these two had both gotten the respect and the “happy ending” they deserved.

2. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    yes, but i am fine with what was shown in the film.

if paramount didnt cared about the adaptations having the same ending as film, megs would had been redeemed (as Nelson said this was the reason for the change)

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I don't want redemption. i want a fight that isn't 5 seconds long.

4. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    didnt u told me before that u wanted megs to redeem himself?

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I just wanted an ending that didn't suck like what we got. If he was redeemed cool i guess but i just hate seeing how i consider the main big bad die so easily.

6. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    oh

7. KayeMinor

KayeMinor Banned

I really wanted that. It would be change from the norm for megatron. there was the scene with him in the ally, looking at cybertron. he genuinely seemed to care for it, and I felt for him, there.

however, if you haven't read the novels and prequels, megatron seems pretty shallow. I can imagine most audiences would be shocked at megatron redeeming himself.

plus, the conversation he and optimus had at the end of the novelization was gold. I loved it.

really, they fucked up on this one. why the fuck kill megatron? let him escape for transformers 4. then you can build up to his redemption better, or give him a better fight if he stays bad.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Redemption. It was a much better ending than Optimus Eastwood.

9. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well keep in mind that dotm was originally going to be the final movie, so i doubt bay would had let him live for build a redemption in later films. since he originally planned this to be his last tf film until paramount and hasbro got into the way

if megs was to survive, he would had reedemed in this film

10. KayeMinor

KayeMinor Banned

is that true? hasbro and paramount are pressuring him to make transformers 4?

11. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Yep, Everybody who worked in the films wanted Bay to be back, despite Bay wanted DOTM to be his last, and they succeded, as Bay confirmed his involment in tf4 last february, he said he's first going to make Pain and Gain and after that he begins work on the fourth film

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The 'Megatron redeemed'/truce ending had so much more depth to it.

Alternatively, we could have had the following...

Just as Optimus is on the verge of being killed by Sentinel, Megatron rushes into the fray and wounds Sentinel, preventing him from landing the fatal blow on Optimus. Enraged, Sentinel turns on Megatron and mortally injures him. This gives Optimus the time he needs to pull himself together and dispatch Sentinel.

Megatron dies in Optimus' arms. His last words? That all he ever wanted was to restore Cybertron, and that he hopes Optimus may someday find it in his heart to understand and forgive him. Optimus, in Megatron's final moments, puts aside their antagonism and mourns his loss.

13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Just something that's less crappy than the "final Optimus VS Megatron battle" we got. That fight scene is what tells me Micheal Bay isn't getting better at TF films. He admits to his mistake in the final battle of ROTF then makes a worse final battle in DOTM.

I liked the idea of Megatron being redeemed. It makes a change from every other Megatron made. And it made the Autobots look less heartless. In the film, they utterly destroy their own home planet without even an "Oh damn, I wish we didn't have to do this".

It should either be the redemption or have Sentinel be the one who tries to make this alliance with Megatron work but Megatron (who has made a full recovery) beats him around. Then Megatron fights and beats Optimus but is attacked by Sentinel who kills him but not before Megatron fatally wounds him. Sentinel then asks Optimus for forgiveness but just as Optimus is about to forgive him, he thinks of the destruction in Chicago and the death of Ironhide then says his "you betrayed yourself" line.

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Would this song be playing as Megatron expires?

Cutting Crew - (I Just) Died In Your Arms Tonight - YouTube

:lol 

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not quite sure. It's a nice change up in the story, but I'm not sure if I could believe Optimus suddenly not killing and trusting Megatron after years of him almost causing the destruction of mankind. I think what would have been the best is if Megatron and Optimus teamed up on Sentinel, but Megatron dies from the result from his fight, going to his grave with Optimus respecting him.

16. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey robots turn me on

I wouldn't have bought it. I expected a more grand finale, but I'm alright with what we got.

17. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I'm with Puck Hockey here. Redemption for either Megatron or Sentinel would ring false after the atrocities they committed. Yes, Megatron committed atrocities in this movie, by ordering Laserbeak's murder spree and for co-leading the Decepticons in the Chicago massacre. I'm even of the opinion that a long, dramatic battle would have been inappropriate. We got that with Sentinel, the main villain of the piece. Another massive final fight would have dragged the movie on too long. Besides, I liked the curb-stomp, especially since it was such an effective retort to Megatron's demand for a facetious truce and to his mocking line of "What would you be without me?" I agree with Optimus. It's time to find out what he, and the movieverse, would be like post-Megatron (no, RotF doesn't count; they didn't even explore the possible scenarios resulting from it).

18. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

You are now my least favorite person on TFW.:) 

19. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

You too, man. You too. :) 

20. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I would vote no.

Ending it with Megatron's redemption wouldn't have worked for the audience. It would have been rather "WTF?", given the course of the series.

I would never once buy into the idea that he just wanted to save Cybertron based on how he was written in the three movies. There's nothing that really shows that. So the whole "Cybertron, you're safe at last...." at the end of DOTM rang false to me, when in the previous two movies there's no indication of his wish to "save" Cybertron after having destroyed it, only his hunger to rule it and destroy everything in his path that he can't rule.