Would you like Joss Whedon to take over?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Apr 12, 2012.

?

Would you like Joss Whedon to do a TFilm?

1. Yes

192 vote(s)
    66.4%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. Don't know

41 vote(s)
    14.2%
  1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And yet you have people like me who posted about Joss waaay back, when he hadn't done anything in ages. Sure, a movie release will spawn intrest in a director - but that doesn't mean that you can dismiss everyone who is in favor of the director in question.

2. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

pretty much this. plus, joss has showcased what he can do with a smaller budget, with pretty much nothing going for him.(see: dr. horrible's sing along blog.)

3. jazzbot180

jazzbot180 Dino-Bot

No.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

He and Kevin Smith are very much alike in that way. The best I've heard it described is "He can't get out of his own way."

I can enjoy Whedon's (and his writers room's) dialogue, but it's very unmistakable and a lot of his characters can sound very same-y. And it can pull you out of a story when you feel like you are hearing the writer speak rather than the character.

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Yeah, I used to really like Buffy but what really screwed it for me was taking up Martial Arts. I can't watch her fight without cringing now :p 

Firefly is probably his best work since they're literally doing the Western in space, his writing style seemed to slot pretty naturally with 'old West' style of speaking they adopted.

I'd still back James Cameron to direct, but nail his arse to the chair and cloister the writers away from him and allow only a twenty minute per week video link with them.

6. RoadBuster88

RoadBuster88 Studio Ghibli

Watched Battleship on wednesday, i actually enjoyed it quite a lot. lots of the old lens flare used which I know will anger some people :p 

7. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

While I can't remember mentioning Whedon in the past, my feelings on him in this thread aren't based on the upcoming Avengers movie at all.....just what I know about him from my Buffy days (and his past works).

Two years ago, had this question been asked (and with no Whedon movie in sight), my response would have been the same.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Perhaps I'm just crazy but I think it's good for creative people to take breaks and to do different things instead of getting into a rut by always working in the same medium doing the same things over and over again.

I just feel better about someone like Joss Whedon who can leave TV and write comic book, or leave comic books to direct movies than I can someone like Micheal Bay who only directs the same types of films over and over instead of branching out creatively into other things. The well of ideas just seems a lot deep from someone like Whedon than it does from Bay.

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Actually, that existed far before the movies. If anything, they downplayed that trait [by not having Primus].

10. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

This. Truly, Bird would be the absolute best director to replace Bay at this juncture because he has what it takes to steer the franchise to its next logical, and inevitable, point. He knows how to take what is admittedly strange, package it in what is familiar, and deliver a product that is extremely profound. And he does it all with tremendous comfort and subtlety. And he has the chutzpah to take it on.

11. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

About that bolded part, Bird proved himself with the Iron Giant and the Incredibles. The man demonstrated the knack for bringing to fore the things that are fundamental for making a TF life action movie long before movie 1 was greenlit. That being said, only Bay could have done movies 1 through 3. However, it's not necessary for him to do 4 through infinite because he accomplished what Spielberg et al wanted him to do - he made Transformers a major, viable, bankable movie franchise.

There are very few directors who could do a Transformers movie. And even fewer who have the courage to do so. Be careful what you hope for.

12. guncannon109

guncannon109 Just passing through

You fail to see is that the needs of the many out way the needs of the few. You see we were never going to win the war, for our very survival a deal had to be made. And by the end of this day, one shall stand one shall fall. We all know there is only one way to end this war, we must destroy the cube. If all else fails I unite the cube with the spark in my chest. Autobots roll out!

13. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Haha yeah I agree.

14. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

At this point, I'd take anybody over Michael Bay, with the exception of M Night Shyamalan

15. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I do agree that a lot of time it's a case of "*insert recent successful director*" that blinds people's judgements (especially with the "What if Peter Berg directed it?"-threads), but, as Ruthie pointed out, Brad Bird is probably one of the more logical choices - not just because of his recent MI4 movie - but because of his track record prior in general. Let's take a look.

-Iron Giant. A critically well-received animated movie about a young boy and his massive alien robot friend and the government's attempt to destroy said alien (Hmm. That concept sounds oddly familiar...). Likeable characters and a compelling story.

-The Incredibles. A massive financial success and very well-received critically as well. A Pixar-animated movie about a family of superheroes. Lots of action, a well-balanced and well-handled large voice cast. Again, a beautifully made movie with interesting characters.

-Ratatouille. Just like above, it was both a financial and a critical slam. Large cast, great talent, emotional story.

-MI4. His first live-action movie. A box office smash and very well received. Once again he proves that he can handle a large cast, and this time, shows his chops at live-action spectacle with visual effects, practical effects and action.

Four movies. All four of them were critically loved. Three of them were box office hits. Three were animated, one of them was live-action.

In conclusion; yes, there's a good chance that Brad Bird would make a well-made Transformers movie. Now, don't get me wrong. Since none of us can see into the future or alternate universes, there's no definitive proof that Brad Bird would be a good match. For all we know he could screw it up. But I'm just looking at the evidence before us. It's the same thing with any other director. We have no idea what their version of Transformers would be like. All we can do is look at their previous work for reference. :) 

16. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I still think Gore Verbinsky should be the new one. But Brad Bird is my second choice.

17. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Can Joss Whedon do characters who can't be seen for longer than 10 seconds at a time without bankrupting the studio? Sure, he can make a room full of people squabble and quip a mile a minute, but what happens when every single word costs hundreds of dollars to animate?

18. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

angary parnets be mad and they be stike at hasbro 's front door

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    We could have them talk in Alt Mode as they drive you know, a clear money saving idea (indeed an earner since it means more screen time for the vehicles) which would allow for the more protracted conversations we desire to take place.

Wheedon also understands the value of characters, even if he abuses the mysterious waif trope to the point where the police should be called.

Of course they could just bite the bullet and spend the money: each movie so far has showed massive returns for their investment. Maybe Hasbro could slide them a few extra million to promote their characters (and indeed toys) over the obnoxious teenagers I'd sooner seen launched from novelty canons.

20. Godzilla Ranger

Godzilla Ranger AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

This