Would you like it if they re-released the entire G1 line(or the main characters)?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bro The Jackal, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Bro The Jackal

Bro The Jackal Kamen Rider

With a more up to date engineering of course. Ya know like starting out with the classics prime under the line.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Id like it but the odds are low they would do it as many of the characters are virtual unknowns especially on the decepticon side so they would be slow sellers as mostly collectors would be interested them and we are a small portion of the market.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, just give us season 1 toys (I include the Dinobots and Devastator)

[​IMG]

Hasbro has already given us most of these toys however.

Waiting on Wheeljack, Jazz, Soundwave, Rumble, Frenzy.....

4. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's Classics.
    Yes, I'm just wondering WTF HasTakTomy are waiting to make the others - Jazz, Trailbreaker, Wheeljack, etc. I'm pretty sure they'll come out sooner or later, because NOT making them would be their STUPIDIEST move ever.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    C'mon, Hasbro. Give us Universe Jazz and Wheeljack already.

6. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

OP, you want the Classics line.

Also, define "main characters"? Cuz, Bludgeon, Ramjet, Octane and Skywarp don't fit in my definition of "main characters", but they do for someone.

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I think Trailbreaker and Buzzsaw are the only two of the first year group that have never had any modern toys of any form.

8. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Don't forget Trailbreaker, Hoist, Tracks, Reflector, Red Alert, Grapple, Skids...

9. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Your asking for a slightly more modified Encore line (like Soundwave with knees) ?
    Or a classics line.

I don't think it's a bad idea to tweak reissues - I've long suggested they try that idea out with Powermaster Prime to make him more articulated and slightly improve the look - maybe add rubber tires.

---------

In general as to reissues I'd like Tomy to reissue the larger characters (especially ones that have not been faked lately or at all) so thinks like Blackzarak/scorponok. & Metrotitan seem worth a reissue.

I'd not mind if they mucked about with them a little to make them different such as new fists for Metrotitan or tampogrpahs on them.

But I'm firmly in the Reissue Scorponok / Black Zarak camp... and that's even with me owning Scorpy already.

I'm surprised they have not reissued Trypticon too - especially as they could sell a special editon Gigastorm with labels more tampographs and full base pieces.

Likewise the Seacons they could be repainted as God Neptune and sold with all accessories.

I think anything that has an obvious repaint or remold like they do should be redone - especially for key leadership figures.

Some might even be worth inventing a new character for them.
    Grandus for example not only complements Takara' Star Convoy reissue it also had production problems with the gimics that they could fix on a reissue.
    Grandus (1991) - Cybertron Robot Base - www.tfu.info

Also it seems ideally suited to be made into some sort of Guardian color repaint or even into someone else like Omega Spreem or some other crazyness... like as a decepticon base.

These base bots not only were not widely available outside japan they are fantastic to use with smaller transformers like Minicons/Micromasters/PPC drones / legends and so on.

There's also an argument to be made that classics and reissues might be positioned to complement each other ... Take Unicron for example - there's a reasonable argument to make a G1ish Unicron toy that could be positioned as a new G1 toy or as part of Classics/Generations.

Or they could even resurrect the general template of Beast Wars Neo Unicron and do something with that.

Perhaps a new one need only be as large as Darth Vader or Primus and not as huge as
    Armada-Unicron.

But he's something that one could argue could be positioned to be sold as part of a collector focused line in Japan and also as part of Generations in America....

Perhaps what i'm suggesting is a Masterpiece Unicron ?

Another alternative to Classics is to make more Masterpiece toys - (not alternators) but genuinely acurate 80's style modes for the characters but made to modern standards as they did with Starscream/Skywarp.

Maybe also Optimus Prime could be further readdressed in a smaller size with a better Transformation - I feel the MP is a bit to big and the Classics is a bit to small personally - so perhaps that is an argument for a remake or new version of Powermaster Optimus Prime. or just a Leader scale Masterpiece Optimus Prime.

Pity Porsche would likely still throw a hissy fit if they tried to make a Porsche Jazz that was to accurate... even if he'd make a great Alternity toy.

--------

I know a lot of people obssess about the 1984 cast but personally I'd really welcome new version of all of the main Targetmasters characters.

I'd rather have a classics Pointblack or Sureshot over and above Hoist, or Gears or Huffer etc....

I'm quite up for a new Trailbreaker and Grapple though.

----------------

I guess we get characters like Red Alert so much as it's convenient - not because he's especially liked... as he's a bit of twit really so therefore not terribly likeable in my view.
    just it's easy to make him out of any Sideswipe toy at the time.

But after the targetmasters I don't mind what they do - I do know my own tastes would be for remaking whole small teams like the Sparkabots or Axcelerators, or Aquaspeeders over simply making the main member of the MTMTE cast over and over again.

It's a bit like sometimes it's not such a bad idea to go a bit obscure simply because that would make a nice toy, or they have interesting powers, or they featured in the comics a lot etc.....

If they wanted to make a Classics Headmaster toy for example i'd rather have Nightbeat than Chromedome as a Deluxe toy... I'd actually prefer it if they ever make the regular Headmasters in some form that they are very highly articulated and chunky and at least Voyager sized. but with smallish heads that match the scale of the old ones.

But anyway basebots is what I want remade in general.

10. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i say release them all. so that i can get all of them. but do g1 jetfire first. come on already.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    finish classics? yes

12. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I'd like to see the entire line of G1 being reissued for sure. All the way up till the Headmaster/Targetmaster era. I really never cared for the Powermasters, in fact I think that's when I stopped playing with them.

13. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really, except for Wheeljack and Scourge, I couldn't care less if classics gets finished or not, we already got toys of pretty much all my favorite designs.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    A New larger Jetfire (Masterpiece maybe) might be interesting something based on the titanium one perhaps or something that draws on all the previous designs for Jetfire/Skyfire.

The macross one is probably a no-no though for licensing reasons.

Not that hard to kitbash one from Macross toys and you have lots of choices and various scale options too and all you need is a white jet with red stripes for the body color and fast packs and then the white one with yellow/black stripes to get the right head to swap and a little painting.
    There's probably some decent fakes that would do for the job too or even if just for the head donor.

[EDIT] RE : The above post.

---------------------------
    There's plenty of Cybertron Characters and the Odd energon/Superlink one that function as more or less updated G1 characters.
    Cybertron Quickmix is perfectly fine as a modern answer to G1 Quickmix I'd say.

[I also just realised] that ROTF/NEST Bludgeon actually looks a lot like Quake.

16. Bro The Jackal

Bro The Jackal Kamen Rider

I mean main characters as in the characters who were actually distinctive from the others & weren't just padding for the original toyline. Prime, Bumblebee, Rodimus, Grimlock, Ratchet, etc for autobots. Megs, Starscream, Shockwave, Ravage, Soundwave etc for decepticons. So in short, main character =/= random redeco or retooled seeker #98364.

17. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll admit, it's pretty darn weak, but...
    Ironhide (2004) - Autobot - www.tfu.info

18. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Given the large roster of even season 1 G1 characters, I wouldn't be surprised if HasTak take their sweet time doling out a few characters every year (or worse, every few years), instead of blowing their load all at once.

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still have high hopes for Jazz, Wheeljack, Trailbreaker & Soundwave due to the repaint/remold potential. Maybe Botcon will provide some hints as to what's in store for Classics under the Generations banner.

20. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i bet takara will encore the encores again in about 3 to 5 years from now.