Would you like an IDW profile book?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Yggdrasil, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Now as much as I like to harp on how horrible DW was their MTMTE profile books are by far the best thing they produced.

So I was wondering would you like for IDW to make one of their own? With their character designs and bios and histories. I loved the little bios in LSOTW and I can totally see a whole book of just Rung doing his thing with every IDW character.

They can even call it Autopedia. You would need something for the 'cons as well kinda like The Banzaitron files or the secret DJD files or something.

Plus it could flesh out chracters that were only in the background or just mentioned some more.

I don't know it sounds like a fun idea really.

2. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Hell yes.

3. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Only if it's done right.

And complete.

No point in doing a new profile book if you're going to leave out the obscure or even retroactive G1 guys.

So I'm all for it if they use Japanese, European, Brazillian Minicars, G2, Botcon, etc as well as ones added in recent years like Glyph, Road Rage, Rosanna, Heavy Load, etc, and not to forget ones they added to the fiction from other universes such as Lockdown, Bulkhead, and Lugnut.

If they can make it truly complete, then I'm all for it. If not, then they should probably wait until they can.

If anyone can do it, the folks at IDW can. It would just be a massive undertaking if they wanted to do it right.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Why limit it to just IDW? It's a pipe dream, but I'd like to see a series of profile books chronicling EVERY character from EVERY series.

I mean, we have G1, Armada, and Beast Wars. Why not finish the job? Energon, Cybertron, Animated, Beast Machines, Prime, RiD, all of them deserve their turn at the spotlight. Even the Movie series would be fantastic.

5. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Well Animated has the Allspark Almanacs which is basically that so I don't think we need another one of those.

Prime would be tricky to do because of the whole Aligned bullshit of WFC/FOC and Prime being the same continuity.

6. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Without a doubt Yes I'd like one.

7. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I dunno how I'd feel about it. As I've seen it said elsewhere, if IDW did a profile series for just characters that have appared thus far in their comics, then it becomes out of date the moment somebody new shows up, and on the other hand, doing IDW continuity profiles for everybody ever would preclude interesting character reinterpretations like Tailgate in MTMTE. If IDW had previously published a profile for him that was some variation on his original bio, that couldn't have happened.

What I would totally go for is a nicely done book reprinting the full Budiansky bios and Tech Specs, with new art for each character. That'd be cool.

8. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I would totaly go for it if the artwork is done by Guidi in his retro G1 style. It would be perfect.

9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    An IDW profile book should only contain characters that appeared in IDW comics. Instead of actual profiles, it would summarise their lives as they appeared in the IDW comics. Minor characters would have their lives expanded upon from what little we saw of them in the comics.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely. In fact, I think IDW is getting to the point where a set of profile books for their G1 continuity is almost essential, given how many of the characters are dramatically different from their portrayal in the G1 continuities with which people are more familiar (Marvel G1, the godawful Sunbow cartoon, etc) and how many new characters and concept there are. Plus, given the number of soft reboots IDW has had, they could use the profiles to smooth over some minor character and continuity issues without devoting time to it in the comics themselves.

Agreed, focus on the characters who have actually had some kind of appearance in the actual comics thusfar. If Japanese, European, Brazillian Minicars, G2, Botcon, Glyph, Road Rage, Rosanna, Heavy Load (etc) haven't appeared in the IDW G1 continuity, no profile.

This I don't agree with. I can go on TFWiki and read a chronological summary of what any given character has done in the IDW continuity...and that's free. If they're going to sell a profile book, it needs to have actual profiles to justify the $2 - $4 per issue.

11. Jalaguy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Guidi does the 'G1 animation model' aesthetic excellently.

My one regret would be that we only have full-length bios up to, what, '88, and we don't even have all of the '87-'88 ones. If someone found all those bios that never got published in as back-ups in the main Marvel series in a cardboard box somewhere, I would love them forever...

12. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    One major problem I see is which designs do we use?

Do we use E.J. Sue more G1 inspired designs but with detailed pistons and such? Do we use Don Fig's movie meets G1 style from the ongoing series? What about Milne's MTMTE cybertronian desgins?

DW at least had the one cybertronian one earth mode designs when it comes to character designs while IDW is (or was) all over the place with their character designs.

It seems like it normalised a bit right now but who know when the next shift to earth modes (which IS comming don't fool yourselfs it won't come) will be the return to the ongoing designs or someting completely new.

I'm just saying that it creates a bit of a problem.

13. Jalaguy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    For an IDW continuity profile book, I'd be happy with characters in their most recent body, in a sort-of artistically neutral style (think current Andrew Griffith or Milne in Chaos Theory).

14. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    So basicaly Don Fig's ongoing designs but with normal faces and a bit less details?

I could go for that. Really the only problem I had with the artwork in the ongoing was the skeleton faces and the bad colours. If the colours were done in the Drift mini style by guys like Perez or Tramontano or Lafuente the whole time the last ongoing could've possibly been my favourite earth based comic aestetics vise.

The writing would still suck hairy dugong balls but at least it would be nicer to look at.

15. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I'd be at least tempted by such a product.

16. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    I once had a dream about an IDW profile book that also had a bunch of short prose stories. That'd be cool.

17. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would read it.

18. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only if it's done better than the BW profiles that IDW did, which were just terrible glorified fanfics.

19. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they made it a binder it would be easy to add new characters or the banzaitron files over time

20. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    No... I don't care for IDW characters.

Also, being responsible for a bunch of profiles in the DW book, I REALLY hated how they forced every artist in to draw like Dan Foagerea. I never liked his mangled Transformers, specially in a profile book.

What I'd really like is a colored version of the "The Ark" books (the ones with all the cartoon model sheets in). Add a bio for the characters and it'll be perfect, not the artistic mess DW MTMTE was.