would you like a tfs rip-off/rival show to exist?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, Jan 23, 2012.

?

would you like a transformers rival/rip-off/clone show to exist

1. no, you heretics!!!!!!!

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. yes but I would still always love transformers

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. yes and if they toys and fiction are better I'm jumping ship

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. maybe

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. gregles

gregles quintesson

older fans will no doubt almost certainly be aware of gobots, its rivalry with transformers and its ultimate demise. if the number of cy-kill and crasher customs and cameos I have seen is an indication of fandom opinion there must at least be a bit of love for the old transformers rival. Would you hate a new transformers style franchise purely on principle or would you be kind of curious?

rival fandom wars can be extremely curious and fun things I remember as a child it being a big deal if you watched W.C.W. or W.W.F. wrestling, last thing I heard before I grew out of watching it was that they all became one big organisation and one had to change there name for some legal reason. A similar thing has just happened in fighting games with to sets of warring fans are gonna have to get along with the release of the crossover games street fighter x tekken and tekken x street fighter. would you like a transformer rival franchise to exist?

2. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    It would be interesting but I doubt anyone could get such a project off the ground without Hasbro lawyers pouncing on them.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I doubt I'd be interested. I'll use your example of WCW and formally WWF. I watched WCW religiously and didn't even give WWF a glance. When WCW went under I tried really, really hard to watch WWF (now WWE) and I can't stay with it. I'm assuming if there was a rival Transformers series it'd be the same thing, expect I don't see Transformers going under anytime soon. So there's probably a reason why I never watched GoBots.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    With things like Transmorphers and the other bargain-bin cgi ripoffs that already exist, I think we're okay.

5. gregles

gregles quintesson

I no doubt in my mind that hasbro sure would beast the hell out of the new rival with lawyers, but should they have the Wright to? they didn't exactly invent the ideas of giant robot aliens or toy cars and planes with moving parts. capcom tried to do a similar thing with a street fighter clone game and they famously lost there case

6. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I say maybe.

If someone tries to cash in on the TF thing with a hastily thrown together show and a smattering of piss-poor toys, then no.

If someone pitchs a good show concept which happens to have transforming robots in it, and it's well written with great designs, then sure! Sounds good to me.

These types of questions are so subjective and hypothetical.

7. gregles

gregles quintesson

I forgot about them, I see those things as more towards KO side of the toy and fiction spectrum. when I said a rival I was thinking of something which could actually challenge transformers supremacy, I mean for example say a new franchise which shot up and became phenomenon say as big as ben10 or pokemon when they were unavoidable and everywere and all the kids loved these newer and trendier toys, how would you feel?

8. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    meh sure. But it would kinda been seen as to transformers as what VR troopers / superhuman samurai syber squad were to Power rangers it might be cool looking but it will never escape the comparison.

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

It'd be nice if something like Gobots were back, a little competition would make Hasbro bring their A game.

10. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I would like to see a rival Transformer franchise to exist to give Hasbro run for their money and possibly make better toys and cartoons.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'd be down for it.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    No.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It depends what you mean by "rip-off/rival". If you mean the exact same characters maybe colored slightly differently, ala Chinese knock-off toys, then no.

But Transformers doesn't own the transforming robot genre. Transformers didn't even originate it. So I wouldn't mind a show that was vaguely similar. Like G1Prowl pointed out, competition would drive Hasbro to improve.

14. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly.

Take a disgruntled TF fan, give him / her some media to create and see where it goes.

I wonder what the fandom would be like?

15. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    And then see how long it takes Has/Tak to buy them out, shut it down and incorporate the names in future figures.

16. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still miss the Gobots.

17. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

gobots base on bandai 's mech bots

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think the phrase "rip-off" might bias responses here. It implies that such an endeavor would lack creativity of its own... and why would we be interested in that? And a rival? Something potentially trying to take market share away, not to mention the bitter flame wars a "rival" would cause in the fandom?

If you asked "would you like more toys and shows about transforming robots to exist?" Then suddenly I'm on board with the idea.

19. gregles

gregles quintesson

you are correct the way I worded it wasn't the best and a bit too simplistic. I was trying to think single words to describe it which would cover how we would likely perceive a new franchise. regardless of the new shows own creativity and individuality for example quality of writing, animation or toys if it did come out I bet some of us would use words like rip-off to describe it to someone else. I personally think the bitter flame wars as you put it would be extremely interesting in fandom

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I rather see a return of the Gobots, the Guardians of Gobotron. But Hasbro owns the Gobots name now. I recently purchased the 2011 DVD Challenge of the Gobots. I hope the entire Gobots series is released to DVD one day, even the Rocklords movie.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012