Would you like a line where all the vehicles were in scale with each other?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    No, not Alternators. One that covers all the different size classes and the focus being having all the different vehicle modes at the same scale.

Ultra and Leader class would be jets. They may have to be small jets because some can be incredibly large. Voyager class would be military vehicles and construction vehicles. Deluxe class would be trucks and the like with Scouts being regular cars. I'm guessing at these size scales of the real life vehicles but that sounds about right.

Characters would be chosen based on their vehicle modes, the importance of their role in Transformers and what would be appropriate with other characters in the same line.

If Optimus Prime is a Deluxe truck cab, Megatron would be a Voyager tank with Superion being a Leader jet (not a combiner but still just as powerful as G1 Superion).

2. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    well hell, going by that, mp starscream, skywarp, and thundercracker are pretty much in scale with the classics deluxe cars...i think. that would drive me absolutely batshit when it comes to having them all displayed in something other than vehicle mode. i'm happy with most of my collection being deluxe or voyager. that way the battle scenes are more toon screen accurate, which imho is more important to me than vehicle size.

3. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Personally I would love that. Doesn't have to be for every line... just for A line. I've never been a fan of mass shifting and I would love to see a line that did away with it entirely, just to see how different it would feel. I think it would create an interesting character dynamic to have the robot modes reflect the size of the actual alt modes. It would certainly make the Autobot cars the underdogs; one thing I enjoyed about Animated was that Starscream towered over Bumblebee (though they didn't keep that realism consistent with Prowl, who should have been teensy).

This seems like a good place to re-post an image I made and posted years ago in a different thread (forgive the shoddy Photoshopping, like the inverted text on the shuttle). I looked up the sizes of all these Transformer alt modes, and I think this really gives an idea of the massive scale disparity that permeates the franchise. Just imagine how different the TF universe would feel if the toys and characters actually stayed true to this real-world scale! For one thing, Astrotrain would be one of the biggest bruisers around.

[​IMG]

By the way, I really dig your idea of choosing the characters for this hypothetical line partly based ON their alt modes. If that were used as a starting point, with the rest of the character choices flowing from that, it might create a neat mix of A, B, and C-level characters that form one cohesive line.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  4. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I'd be all over it.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Sometimes I think having everyone in scale would be the greatest thing ever...

...then I see pictures like that and laugh my tits off.

The only time I really like scale-ish things going on with TF toys is when I see pics of when people have posed WSTs with G1 Fort Max. That looks damn cool. But having Starscream five or six times the size of Prime is ludicrous.

6. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Thanks for the image. It gives me a better sense of scale between the different vehicles.

I am surprised tanks are that small though. There must be bigger tanks than that. Perhaps Optimus Prime could be a Voyager combined truck and trailer in robot mode like Power Master Optimus Prime.

I agree. Its too late to re-imagine Starscream's robot mode to be much larger than Optimus Prime. Perhaps in this hypothetical line there wouldn't be a Starscream and all jets would occupy the same position gestalts did originally as being the giant powerhouses.

7. rainningstorm

rainningstorm cheapskate@Cantonment

Its a great idea, but difficult to execute unless you redesign everything. Especially since G1 completely ignores scale, you either have to stay with equal sized robots or equal sized vehicles. And there's a bot that triple-changes into a jet and an aircraftcarrier.

ps: I'm suddenly imagining a giant starscream vs a tiny megatron in G1

8. xeno

xeno xeno

News Credits:
    As long as they look nice I would buy them. I don't care much for scale, but if they added it it wouldn't discourage me. lol

9. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, it wouldn't be the Transformers I know and love if they were in scale.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't care about scale one way or the other. If they were good toys, I'd buy them.

11. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, at least one line dedicated to scale would be awesome. Right now, the classics Seekers look silly and small compared to the likes of Prowl and Bumblebee. For me, sometimes the lack of scale is discouraging.

The much praised G1 is a disaster as far as scale goes. One thing to remember though is at the time, the genre was new and mass shifting was acceptable (but even as a kid, I remember wondering where Primes trailer disappeared to, and how Astrotrain could carry an entire Decepticon contingent).

BTW- Prime + trailer would be around 60+', assuming the trailer is a 48' dry box.

12. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

It would be rediculous, if Astrotrain was a Supreme, cars scale wise would turn out to be around legends/WST size, it would look rediculous.

It would limit the # of Transformers since a whole line in scale would only have a few decent figures on the different scales, or they would all be jets or tanks, it would be boring.

13. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Absolutely not. I much prefer a group of similarly sized robots, like we've always been getting. Not that i don't like "change" or new ideas, but honestly what would be the point of having things in scale? I won't be making a giant diorama in my room. They sit on my shelf. I don't care that the scale is off. The realism is tossed when i see a space shuttle sitting on a shelf instead of a NASA runway.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    maybe true scale and on screen scale has never been a huge factor for me in my collecting.

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Disagree. Optimus Prime had a terrific fight with a Starscream that towered over him in Animated.

I would love a line like this. Hell, it's what I shoot for in my movie toy collecting.

16. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    i will make a small addendum to my previous thoughts...

I would not mind in-scale accessories that come with larger figures. great example - ROTF Stratosphere. i actually LOVE that.... i just wouldn't want a whole line devoted to it.

Same with the never-happened Ani Omega Supreme. I would love to have tiny statuettes of the Autobots to stick inside him.

So.... in scale accessories that represent other characters? yes.
    Totally in scale line? No, thank you.

17. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I'm always a bit sad when the jets are just as small as cars..so I'd like those bigger...in the end though, I completely understand the limitations so I'm sure I'll live.

I had this great idea a while back: how could would it be if we had some kind of ray gun that would make all the toys in scale with each other! Then I realised some dumbass is going to use it on Primus or Unicron, and even though they're toys, in scale they'd still pretty much destroy our planet when grown :lol 

18. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Yes, Bass, I would be all over an in-scale toy line or TF generation (though, to a limited extent, they are in-scale in the movies, kinda).

Sweet peanut chart, White Mocha! And great choices for comparison.
    I'll try to knock up something similar.

19. Arcee 69

Arcee 69 Well-Known Member

I stopped collecting Transformers because Hasbro constantly makes the jets in the deluxe class when they should be ultra or leader class. WTF am I supposed to do with Classic Starscream or Universe Cyclonus? Put them next to Universe Powerglide & Silverbolt? I don't think so. That right there makes Transformers a bullshit toy line.

I would have loved it if the vehicles were in scale to each other but now it's too late. I don't care anymore. I'm not buying Transformers anymore (except Primus 2010).

20. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Guess Primus is out of the question in such a line, or Unicron