Would you like a Dreamwave continuation?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TFFan01, Aug 13, 2017.

?

Yes or no?

1. Yes.

37 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. No.

34 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

It's a non-representative one that's out of continuity. If you're going to pick an example it'd make sense to at least go with one that's part of the continuity you're criticizing.

• Like Like x 3
  2. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think so, maybe if they did a 12-15 issue wrap up for the latest Arc, it was about to deal with Sunstorm/The Fallen/Unicron right?

Now that I really think about it I think I'd prefer if there was a continuation of the DW Energon comics. IDW could finish the energon comic line working with Simon Furman and then do Cybertron, I thought the comics in general were better than the cartoons, and it might be less jarring to see IDW art on an Energon continuation than on a DW Gen 1 continuation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

During the Hatchette panel at TFNation, Simon was asked about Dreamwave (in particular War Within 3). He said that they can only publish what was actually published (due to legal fidgitiwititty), but hopefully he'll be able to provide extras like never before seen art and synopsis for later issues (as he's often sold the War Within 3 scripts at UK events, I imagine he'll include his planned ending as an extra. I can't see the same happening for the ongoing).

4. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the IDW-verse of TF comics, especially Lost Light. Having said that, I would also be down for a concurrent "Dreamwave-verse" series. Like others have said, just up the quality of the writing. The things I really liked about the Dreamwave books were (a) they really felt like "lost" G1 episodes and (b) the really fun art style and coloring. The writing was usually forgettable. Although the second G1 mini-series was pretty fun and exciting. The Furman WW books were okay I guess.

I don't see IDW doing this unless they got desperate to jumpstart the franchise though.

5. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But legal roblems doesn't mean they can't write a different script though, they can continue the ideas in a different way than the original intention, right?

6. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

In the case of "Plague of the Insecticons," they really felt like "already found" G1 episodes

• Like Like x 2
  7. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I think that ship has already sailed, and maybe other than a resolution to WW3, there'd be little interest in a continuation.

No offense if you were way into Dreamwave or something, but I think the good stuff was pretty rare compared to the mediocre or outright bad. We're not missing out on much.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Oh yes, that'd be far more distinct style wise than a DW continuation.

• Like Like x 2
  9. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

Funnily enough, during the panel at TFN the presenter said that, as we had writers and artists in the room, couldn't we just get War Within 3 finished? Simon re-iterated that the legal position really doesn't allow for it (he said: "we hear the word litigation and we run for the hills").

I think that if there were a way to wrap up War Within 3, Simon would have already pursued it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    Nope. I might take them finishing off the two plots they had with Age of Wrath, and whatever nonsense Sunstorm was up to.

But honestly? Aside from it being dope to see a Transformers comic again (especially so laden with easter eggs), Dreamwave's writing didn't have a lot (or any) depth. And looking back, it was rather one-dimensional and boring. It pretty much relied consistently on "holy crap, look which niche character it is this time!" for every big twist, instead of... y'know... actual writing.

We're better off with with IDW in every aspect. Except for the litany of jokes Pat Lee was good for.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Yep. They leaned so very hard on nostalgia, especially with the first release. 80s nostalgia had exploded in 2001 anyway, but DW's sales trended downward.

IDW could have recaptured more of those readers if they had just gone with an ongoing series out of the gate, but with the mandate to start a new story, the waning of the automatic-nostalgia buys, and the amount of fans burned by a year with no comics and no conclusions, they were always going to struggle to get Dreamwave's sales.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I loved Dreamwave. I'd love to see it continued but not by IDW.

I'm sorry but apart from MTMTE, I've never enjoyed IDW or looked forward to subsequent issues like I did Dreamwave or Marvel UK.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I can take the art of Pat Lee (or his ghosts). Hell, in some cases, I prefer that art over some of the current IDW stable. The reason I shit on Dreamwave is because of the terrible amateurish, hacky writing (other than War Within).

That's probably the one halfway decent shared universe Revolution comic they're currently publishing. Better than Micronauts or MASK or Rom or Revolutionaries, for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

15. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    About 2 years back at Opticon (small scale Belfast Transformers Con) Simon Furman & Nick Roche held a discussion, and as ReGen1 was just finished I asked Simon if he'd thought about something similar for the Dreamwave stuff (or G2) and he gave a similar answer.

I can't speak to the Energon/ Micromaster stuff DW did, but the G1 stuff wasn't really my cup of tea. War Within was alright.

I would love that. Roche or Zama on art at the very least.

• Like Like x 1
  16. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    yes, the final Dreamwave G1 ongoing series was 100x more interesting then anything IDW has done (including even the Furman era)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

No. IDW has given TFs comics a depth that DW just didn't have. Plus, with all the TFs comics to keep track of, why would I want yet another one to follow that has it's own continuity?

18. LastDecepticon

LastDecepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well i miss them. The go joe vs transformers were great. Serpentor was a robot with the brain of Megatron = Awsome. The war with in great. Hearts of steel a super else world tale. The ww1 gi joe vs transformers a classic. The grid art was super. I wish we had an end to the great stories. And new ones. Wen it change frome company , I tried but infiltration was super bad man. Just bad.

19. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Serpent O.R. was from the Devil's Due Joe vs TF series. And Hearts of Steel was an IDW creation.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    No thanks. I haven't read everything from DW, but I've read the synopsis and it just didn't sound that great.

I did read WWI, and it had some neat ideas but it's not nearly as amazing as everyone makes it sound. More typical Furman style with a decent start that quickly devolves into nonsense.