Would you have prefered a new voice for Optimus in this series?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Shizuka, Mar 11, 2011.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I'm fine with Cullen for this series.

I personally think Chalk is the most versatile Optimus voice we've had. He can do many emotional scenes without being over the top and can be very subtle at emoting.

2. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

It wouldn't matter even if Cullen were not Prime, we'd still get the same complaint that the voice actor was overacting etc. Let's say they got someone else to do Prime in the opening 5-parter; be it Gary Chalk, David Kaye, Neil Kaplan or someone totally new. They would still have had to deliver each line as if it was the most important thing ever because that's what the director told them to do. If they didn't do it that way, they'd have to do a retake.

Maybe with Cullen, he was instructed to use the same Optimus Prime variant as he did in the movie. But whoever hypothetically replaced him would still have had to pull off a movie Prime impersonation, or at least a really aged and formal Prime.

So to answer the question... nah, I'd rather have Cullen. He's not going to be around forever, might as well enjoy it while we can. Besides, he's a good VA and as we're getting more episodes, he's getting less pigeonholed, which in turn is giving us a better performance.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm happy with Peter Cullen as Prime. He brings just a little something different with his G1, movie, and Transformers Prime character even though they are the same character by the same voice actor.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

He defined what Optimus' voice should be. If they had anyone else, it would have to be someone who sounds like Peter for me to approve of it.

5. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Quoted for great justice!

Especially since Gary Chalk was PrimAL not Prime
    would I want Cullen voicing PrimAL newp, would want Chalk for that.
    They are not the same characters or robots, people need to learn this.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Michael Ironside as Optimus would've been interesting.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think Micheal Dorn (Mata Nui, Worf) would have been a excellent Optimus Prime, Also i'd like to see Neil Kaplan and he does do a good Cullen prime too.

8. Fortress_Maximus

Fortress_Maximus fortuna audaces iuvat

Cullen is the Prime for a whole new generation and he does great work! Why are we even discussing this?

9. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I vote for the great David Kaye or Gary Chalk. But I know that wont happen sadly. Peter just sounds boring compare to the energy David or Gary brought.

10. AMG

AMG Old School

That's not Peter's fault, it's the script.

11. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I dunno, there's just something about this Prime's design that probably wouldn't have worked with any VA other then cullen...it certainly feels like this prime was built with his voice in mind. Although, I don't have a problem with how Prime is portrayed myself...he's the leader, so he's gotta sound important.

12. PrimeFlo17

PrimeFlo17 Tunes

News Credits:
    This.

It isn't exactly the VA's fault, but a lot of fingers point to the writing. If they gave a BIT more backstory and maybe even built Optimus a "personal" life, I'm sure his voice wouldn't be as bland-sounding. A filler EP is imminent. Just a ramble but, I truly believe that the kids will play a key role with a lot of the character development in this series.

13. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Absolutely.

I honestly don't like how he plays Prime these days and I think as long as he plays him, the character is only going to be written in one way. New voice actor, new opportunities. How interesting would it be to start a series with a Prime who is an murderous bastard who has to grow into a decent person? You're not going to get anything like that with Cullen.

He had his turn, bring on the next guy. I've no interest in nostalgia. Welker works cause he altered his performance to suit the character. With Cullen, it seems their writing to the character to suit his voice.

14. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah. It's Optimus Prime's dialogue I have a problem with, not the voice acting.

15. GWolfv2

News Credits:
    But is the dialog the result of the voice acting? When they decided to have Cullen, did they write the character in this style simply because Cullen was voicing him? I mean, you wouldn't call Cullen's portrayal expressive.

16. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

I LOVE PC.

I'm so glad they got him back after G1...

He's perfect...

But,,,

the lines he is reading are WAY to serious...

Sometime I think he's kinda dark and stale, too.

I like the commander persona. I like the teacher persona.

But the lines are much different than G1 or the movies...

Keep PC. Ditch the writer...

17. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's the issue of the writer. If they lack the imagination to see it another way its them, and not Mr. Cullen. Look at the movies I know not everyone here likes them, but you cant say that thats the same Prime. Look put the blame where its due if you don't like the writing blame the writers, becuse right now it just sounds like you have a personal issue with Cullen's voice (Which is Ok, I would call you crazy, but its Ok we all have the right to our own opinions. After all thats what this thread is asking for our opinions.) and are trying to justify it with twisted logic.

I say this not to be mean. We as humans think with our emotions, and justify with logic till we see what we are doing our self's, or someone is nice enough to point it out to us. So we all do this from time to time.

18. GWolfv2

News Credits:
    ...uh huh...thank god you were here. I'm both irish and from the country, so I'm not too good at this "logic" you speak of. Sarcasm on the other hand, I'm a master.

I think Cullen is an excellent voice actor. I just don't think he's doing an excellent Prime anymore. Simply put, he's not performing in the fashion I, as an individual, would like. I prefer far more expressive characters. For me, his performance isn't a case of being the leader, it's being unexpressive. The problem is compounded for me by his succeeding David Kaye, and his Prime being set up against a myriad of extremely expressive characters. And in all honesty, there's been one episode which distinguished his performance from movie Prime. The characters feel very interchangable. To me anyway. But what do I know, debate isn't my forte.

Yes, I'm pretending I'm annoyed. It's been a stressful week. Poking the bear is a remarkably enjoyable release

19. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

Actually that is peters fault, the script doesnt tell you exactly how to say the lines, he could add excitement or confusion or frustration to them when necessary, Chalk and Kaye did that when they where Optimus.

20. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

While I personally think everyone who voiced an Optimus Prime or Primal did an awesome job, I am tickled pink to have Peter Cullen back in TF Prime.
    Even more so than I was for the movies. I think most of the people who are complaining about the TF Prime Optimus have the most problem with his "wait and see" approach in an era of "GIVE ME YOUR FACE" Optimi (Optimuses?) (From RiD to Animated all the recent Optimuses (Optimi?) have pretty much been "charge into battle" kind of bots).
    Personally I like this Optimus (though I admit there are some times when I question his methods in splitting up the teams etc.) and I love having Cullen back as his voice.

I think the main thing for Hasbro was they knew Cullen would connect with both movieverse and G1 fandom and add something to the series in case it wasn't as good as they hoped. And while at this point I am positive I would love it even without Cullen/Welker, I am still overjoyed that they are there!