Would you have prefered a new voice for Optimus in this series?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Shizuka, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Since I've read of a few complain of Peter Cullen I just wondered what people thought about this. Every new series has a new actor but this series is sticking with the movie voice (probably for old skool fans and movie fans).

I personally have no problem with Peter Cullen as Optimus and I'm all for someone new too (though David Kaye felt too young for Optimus but I believe that was the point)? Gary Chalk was the Optimus I knew first so he'll always have a special spot in my mind.

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Nah.

Maybe in another series, but this one? The very series where Frank Welker decided to return? It would be like having the ham but not having the cheese.

And I prefer Peter Cullen's voice than any other [even when the guy BREATHS you can see Optimus Prime].

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope. This Optimus looks llike the movie one so Peter is just the right choice.

Also the Frank Welker thing

4. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

At this point in time i view Peter Cullen as the Elder Prime, his voice is of the Optimus that has been through a lot (like the movie one where we know he is OLD) and David Kaye is now the young optimus, with Gary Chalks voice being in the middle between them (it sounds like Kaye modeled his voice after primals but younger) if Gary Chalk could maybe deepen his voice a bit (cause primal is his normal voice) he would seem good, mainly cause i don't see this prime being old enough to have Cullens voice (also my complaint with war for cybetron was YOUNG optimus having Cullens old sounding voice)

although this being the first series the Original Megs and Prime worked on together since the 80's is pretty significant.

5. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Other than Gary Chalk, no I don't. Simple as that. I've always thought that Gary Chalk was the perfect voice for Optimus because that's all I experienced.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Peter Cullen IS Optimus Prime for me, and I grew up with Beast Wars. Gary Chalk is a great voice actor but I don't like him as Optimus Prime. Primal? Hell yeah. Gary Chalk IS Optimus Primal to me.

So no, I don't think there should have been a different Optimus in Prime.

7. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    Absolutely.

It's like they've put Jaga in the Lion-O role.

8. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Uh, not at all. Optimus is both the wise leader and the action machine, not Lion-O nor Jaga really.

If it was, say, Animated Optimus with Cullen's voice, THAT would be what you said, but this is Prime Prime and he has to be just as old as Megatron (who is pretty old judging from his voice).

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yes, actually. I love Cullen as Prime of course, but so far he has (most of the time) sounded a bit, well, forced. If Cullen can tone down the epic speech mode from the movies a bit and be closer to G1, though? Then he'd be perfect.

10. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cullen is Optimus Prime. Everyone else is just pretending.

11. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    And once again I have to be more specific.

It's like if Jaga never died on Thundercats and Lion-O never grew up. Thus, Jaga's still the leader and has 'the Lion-O role'. Geddit?

Besides, Jaga could kick a fair amount of ass. He was also as big an exposition machine as Obi-Wan cruddy Kenobi.

12. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fixed!

13. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

While I do like Peter Cullen for the role, I'm curious as to how someone else would do the job.

Kevin Conroy (the Batman of Batman the Animated Series, Justice League, and JLU)could make an awesomely intense, driven Optimus. Just look on youtube for some clips of his performance as Batman and you'll see what I mean.

Keith David (the voice of Goliath on Gargoyles) could make it work as well for the same reasons.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Peter Cullen is perfect. More than any other actor who Player the role he will be remembered as Optimus prime. Not saying the other did not do a great job as they did but Cullen = Optimus Prime.

15. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Wait so you want this Optimus to be an younger version of him or something?

I dungetit

16. Honorbound

What he's saying is that the old mentor that usually croaks in this kind of series (in this case Optimus) is still the leader. To use his example, it is like Jaga was the lead of Thundercats, not Lion-O.

17. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    Basically, yeah.

Thanks Honorbound.

18. Honorbound

You're welcome.

19. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Everything in this post is my opinion.

20. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Would I have preferred a different voice actor for Optimus Prime in this particular Transformers: Prime series? No. Peter's voice is perfect for this incarnation of Optimus. Chalk, Kaplan and Kaye's established Optimus' voices wouldn't fit, in my opinion. However, with that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing who else could step into those giant metal shoes of his and see what they could do in the future. I grew up with Garry Chalk as Optimus Prime/Primal. To me, he was Optimus. Now yes, Peter Cullen is also Optimus in my opinion, but in different ways.

Peter Cullen: The older, wise leader. One who is just naturally epic and has seen an immense amount of comrades die in front of him, and who is growing weary of the war.

Garry Chalk: Now, don't take this the wrong way, I'm not knocking Garry's voice acting (because he is very talented), but after watching the Bayformers films, Garry is what I refer to as "the no-name brand Peter Cullen". He's like the stand-in for Cullen. Like I said, I grew up with Garry as Optimus, but after hearing Cullen, he's just not quite there yet. He can be just as "leader-y" and "epic" and "heroic" as Cullen's Prime, but lacks a certain pizazz/isn't quite as awesome. He was great for the multiple series that he was in, but Peter's voice just resonates a bit more.

David Kaye makes for a fantastic young, inexperienced Optimus Prime, and Neil Kaplan wasn't too shabby either. Since those are the main Optimus VAs, I'll just leave it at that.

Honestly, not many VAs come to mind when I think of "Who could play Optimus?". The closest one is Scott McNeil using a variation of his Beast Wars Silverbolt voice. Almost like Kaplan's. Not quite so cheesily chivalrous, but still, he's got that sense of honour and dignity that he carries with him. I think he'd make a good Optimus Prime that happens to be in-between the age group of Kaye's and Cullen's. Not too old, not too young. I'm sure I'll think of some other VAs who might be good, but for the time being, Scott McNeil.

So in conclusion, no, Peter Cullen is the perfect match for this series' Optimus. I'm all for having new voice actors for existing characters (adds some variety and change into this franchise, which is good), but at the same time, it'd be kind of sad to see these amazing actors step down. :(  Now, for future series, sure, let's have some new VAs take a stab at it. :)