Would you have liked beast Wars as much if it didn't have the G1 Tie in?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Grimlock_13, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Just like the thread title says. I was watching my DVDs again recently and I wondered if I would. G1 is and always will be the alpha and the omega TF series to me since it's what i grew up with(even though I love TFs from ALL series), and I love the writing and characterization in BW, but I couldn't help but wonder as I was watching "Posession" if I'd dig the BW cartoon as much as I do if it didn;t have the G1 link. Honestly, I can't even imagine the series without it...especially the end of Season 2 and the entire Season 3 which was one BIG G1 fanwank. I haven;t been able to answer my own question since it's really hard to say.

Just thought I'd start a discussion.

And PLEASE I really don't want to see this degrade into Trukk vs. Munkky debate...

2. soundwave47

soundwave47 Remember Me?

the first time i saw it i knew it was going to be awsome but i think
    the tie in was kinda good

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The G1 aspects of the series kept my interest and probably fueled it more so than if there were no G1 nods in the series.

In fact, because of Beast Wars heavily relied G1 nostalgia, it seemed to me that so many fans sat and waited for those same G1 themes to show up in Beast Machines, and when it didn't, people turned on the series, amongst the other problems in the show.

4. cowscows527

cowscows527 Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for the time travel/paradox aspects of it, the G1 tie-ins would have ruined it for me. I hate cameos for the sake of cameos, but I felt that Beast Wars did them well and the greater plot was better than "hey, it's character 'X'". I love time travel stories, so the tie ins actually worked.

This is one of the many, many reasons I hate Star Wars so much. The Prequels had to many tieins to the original that just cheapened the story. They didn't add anything and just reminded the viewer that they are watching contrived movies.

5. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

The way BW tied into G1 really enriched both series.

6. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pokécon

Well, I was pretty young when G1 was going on, having really gotten into Transformers thanks to Beast Wars. I'd say it's certainly true that BW peaked my interest in G1 just as much as my old memories of G1 (and G2) made me give BW a chance.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wait BW ties into G1??? Your pulling my leg!

I first started watching BW during the last half of season 1 and didn't realize the tie in with G1 till sometime late in season two (I missed the episode Possession originally). I might not have liked it as much if it didn't tie in, but I certianly wouldn't have disliked the show.

8. Windturf

Windturf Insane Ratchet Fan

If I'm correct, the Ark did appear in BW along with Optimus Prime.
    I think the G1 tie-in was pretty cool.I've only seen the webisodes of BW so I'm kind of so-so.

9. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

If it wasn't for the G1 tie-ins I doubt I would have liked it near as much as I did. Sad? Yeah maybe a little, but none-the-less there ya go.

10. butz

butz slippery when wet

I would've liked it regardless, but the G1 stuff was a big part of getting me back into G1 after so many years, so I'm glad they went that route.

11. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    For me, it took me a while to warm up to Beast Wars after seeing initially in the beginning, that these characters were in no way connect to any of the G1 characters, except in name. The names didn't exactly ring of creativity (Cheetor, Rhinox). It really wasn't until the episode, 'The Spark' that really opened my eyes as to how good a show this was becoming and how rich and excellent the writing was. Before the end of season 1 I found myself liking the show a lot. Getting G1 tie in later in the series was merely icing on the cake.

12. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    beast wars is what got me into transformers. I knew that G1 existed but didn't know much else about it. having BW tie into G1, made G1 that more rich and appealing to me. like when they would speak of "the great war" and the arch crashing on earth as one of the most important things in history. It made the stories more interesting like there was so much more to it that i was missing.

kinda reminds me of the original star wars trilogy. We knew that lots of story took place before ( one hint was that they were called episodes 4, 5, and 6).
    IT just makes the story seem like it has "more than meets the eye"

13. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

In a word:
    Yes.

In a couple of words:
    Yes, becuase it's well written, well acted, and gorgeous looking CGI.

14. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those were the big reasons why I liked the show. The G1 tie in was just an extra bonus.

15. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I think I would have. The g1 stuff didn't really get heavy until the near end of season 2 and well almost all of 3, however It was just a well written show. Would have been hard to not like it.

16. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

i didn't start watching BW untill season 1 was almost over, about 2-3 ep's b4 they brought in the transmetals
    so i didn't really see all of the G1 tie-in's untill re-runs and i think i could defanetly say i would have love the show even w/out the tie-in's. but it defanetly made me love the show even more

also BW is what got me re-interested in G1 since i was fairly young when the series was on :thumb 

17. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would have liked BW better if Optimus Primal had be a Lion as in Lio Convoy instead of an Ape. Anyway, I thought the G1 tie-in seemed forced and just a way to introduce Optimal Optimus. Anyway, BW was a lot better than BM.

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I paid more serious attention to BWs due to the G1 tie-in. If not, I would have treated it as "another" toon.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I would have liked the show better without the G1 tie-in. The first 1.75 seasons focussed on developing the small cast of characters and constructing a unique world for them...and then the rest of the show (especially the third season) became "G1: Guest-starring Beast Wars!". Doesn't help that I don't really like the G1 fiction and would just as soon have that continuity laid to rest.

20. T.K. Sunglasses

T.K. Sunglasses -

The first BW episode I saw was The Web, and I was pretty into it right away. Even at that point, the writing was a step above most cartoons, and I've always loved literature and writing so I was very intrigued. I also loved the aesthetic, how it mixed the animal forms with some of the style of the original Transformers.

But I have to say, when the G1 tie-ins began, that was when I really went nuts for the show. I do think I would have loved it more and more anyway, because with or without the tie-ins, the writers would have brought the story to greater and greater levels of complexity, but the Transformers-loving geek in me absolutely flipped out over the references. And man, I still remember the moment when they first entered that cave, and Blackarachnia said, "It's... the Ark." I was watching that episode with my sister (who watched the show because she loved Silverbolt so much) and I literally gasped when I saw the Ark, I was so thrilled. My sister thought I was weird.

For me it wasn't so much the lack of G1 reference that killed that show as that I really disliked the visual direction it went in, and I found it disappointing because it seemed to basically undo everything Beast Wars had built up. If it had stopped referencing G1 and had simply built on BW, I would still have loved it because at that point I loved BW even more than G1 itself, so continuing with that story properly was all I wanted. I really feel that the characters were not portrayed properly though, and that it completely wasted all the potential that was built up by Beast Wars. Having them return to a legitimate cybertron, introducing new characters, dealing with the reaction to the new Transmetal forms (not to mention Optimus's new form and the wild story of how he got it!), all the politics and intrigue that they set up with the relationship between the Maximals and Preds... man, it could have been awesome.

This is what I really want them to do with the Beast Wars IDW comics now. Make up for that wasted potential with some amazing new BW stories that follow the original continuity without wiping everything and restarting like BM did. Simon Furman seems like just the man to do this, short of bringing back Bob and Larry.