Would you go for a complete original series?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Xformermike, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Xformermike

Xformermike Well-Known Member

With all the talk about rebooting a "true" g1 recently here in general I got to thinking about the opposite thing. A completely original series. Now I'd like to point out before continuing this that I find Transformers Prime to be pretty original and fun so far. It seems like a great balance between a reboot and it's own originality. But let's examine the extreme opposite here...

If they made a totally new Transformers series that didn't reference anything from the past.. Introduced new leaders (no prime, no megatron), new characters and it was well written (awesome original plots) and well animated... Could you get behind that?

OR do you need those old g1 references to get into it? If it doesn't have those fandom nods like recurring g1 characters/character behaviors and interactions ...and similar plots are you unable to get behind it? Do you need a unicron in every series? Do you need the starscream - megatron schemer plot? etc.. Or would you be open to dropping all that and starting something completely new and fresh?

Edit: Just to be clear....... I mean while still being Transformers. That transform and turn into things and come from the planet cybertron. Other than that... All new characters and plots! Could you support something like that or would you need the G1/past series references?

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

How can you do anything original with transforming robot's into cars and such?

3. Xformermike

... Creativity? I think you're not understanding the question because you didn't answer it. Obviously there are some elements that would have to remain or it wouldn't be Transformers... Such as what you mentioned... Like the main core of it. Them turning into things and BEING Transformers. lol. =P I thought that would be obvious...

Ok now that I've cleared up that it would still be Transformers... lol ... Please let me know what you guys would think of a series of that nature..

4. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would be completely game for something like this.

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would TOTALLY get behind a new series with an all new cast. As much as I love Optimus I want to see the franchise be able to survive without him. Beast Wars proved it could be done.

But I wouldn't want to totally disregard the mythos. It doesn't have to be integral to the series but don't ignore it. I would want this theoretical series to be set in a classic Transformers continuity and make references to it.

Basically I want season 1 & 2 of Beast Wars again. Don't take that the wrong way. Season 3 was amazing as well. Probably the best one. But I want this idea to not have old characters be integral to the plot. A cameo once in a blue moon would be cool with me though, as long as it was a big deal like how Ravage was handled.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    In a heartbeat.

I think an original series would do better. With all this talk of "they're ruining X's character" with all original cast the makers wouldn't have to restrain themselves to certain ideals and concepts.

7. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    This would be interesting, but I think it'd have a better chance at success if it didn't have the "Transformers" brand attached to it. I don't think Transformers is old or diverse enough of a property to be spinning off such a different series under its banner. Transformers without Prime and Megatron is like Star wars without Jedi, or Star Trek without Klingons and the Federation. They'd have to pop up sooner or later. Sure, Trek got along fine after Kirk and Spock but that's a franchise that's been around a lot longer with a much wider fanbase.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Absolutely. Essentially that's what BWNeo was and I love that series.

9. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I would be for it.

10. Tigertrack

So basically same idea, but completely new characters? Would we keep any of the old ones?
    Would they be alien, or man-made?
    What would their background be?

11. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    tough one to call guys after all the fandom is very pro Optimus and Megatron as we know in every iteration and hasbro has known since 86. I wouldn't mind splinter teams , I think a show like based on the wreckers would be a fantastic idea, plenty of action and once in a blue moon have one member report to a superior,Prime,Ironhide,Prowl or Magnus etc. Which would still make us feel involved and that our favourite characters are around. I'm taking bout nick roches wreckers btw,action drama and casualties and twists.

12. Xformermike

So basically... A transformers series set in the original G1 universe but in a new setting new characters, etc. I would go for that too. Like maybe a setting on a different planet. I was always interested in those Transformers planets that were offshoots of cybertron. They were always fun episode to watch!

13. Xformermike

These are exactly the kind of questions the creators of the series would have to ask themselves.

Maybe they AREN'T cybertronians. Maybe they are "Transformers" from a different planet that come to discover Cybertron... Who says that the transformers on cybertron were the only ones to evolve in the universe? See you can go anywhere with it. And it starts to get really fun and fresh/creative. It could go anywhere... so long as they are Transformers in the cast and the basic core elements remain.

Honestly though... I would prefer them to be cast from the Transformers G1 universe that we all know and love... But are completely new characters and in a completely new scenario. Which I think is more what I would be hoping for.

14. Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus Matrix Bearer

I could be down for that. Even if it was just Transformers Expanded Universe style I could deal.
    What would be deadly would be a Batman: Gotham Knight style idea. Simon Furman as writer, Madhouse as animation and Hajime Katoki (from Gundam) as mechanical designer would be epic.

15. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    I kinda appreciate how different the settings were in the HM/MF/V/Zone now. It showed me that there doesn't always HAVE to be an Optimus/Megatron to make an awesome show.

16. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'd watch a show about the Wreckers - hell yes!

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    YES I would. Something new would be incredible...PLEAAAAASE?

(I know it'll never happen...sigh)

18. Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus Matrix Bearer

This is very true. I really appreciate how those series weren't afraid to try something a little different, and gave us some memorable characters.

19. Tigertrack

Maybe keep the G1 theme, and some history. But evolve it a couple of generations ahead.
    Like the young kids, Bumblebee and Cliffjumper all grown up talking about the good old days with Prime and Rodimus etc'.
    Maybe Grimlock had a "son" and his son is now part of the new era.

20. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, if it's entirely new characters, I'm pretty much game. I love the Primes and Megatrons, but what made Rodimus and Primal refreshing was a different take on the leaders, even if they were expys of the originals.