Would you get mad if a picture you took was used on E-bay?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by bny888, Oct 22, 2010.

1. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I was browsing E-bay moments ago and saw a pic I took of the ROTF "War for the Skies" pack (the I one posted here) being used by a seller.

Not really an issue with me, the pic is even very poor in quality, taken with the camera of my mobile phone then. I'm even wondering why he did not use a better pic, there are several on the Net actually.

Just curious as to how others would react if the same thing happened to them.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Unless the photo was one I intended to use for commercial purposes and the guy was profiting from it by passing it off as his own, I wouldn't raise a stink.

3. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

Well, I sold a Dvd years ago and this seller used the same description I wrote to sell his. It didn't bother me much. I wouldn't be pissed if somebody copied my pic, but if he somehow made big money out of it.......

4. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I took a pic of a Yugioh card from back when I used to play so that I could sell it on eBay and not worry about a watermark being on the pic.
    Fast Forward a week after I finish selling it and 3 other sellings listing the card had my pic.
    I guess it was popular for that one week, since after checking back a few months later, all the listings had a pic with a watermark that wasn't mine.

But I was more honored that my pic was actually used.

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's almost flattering, would'nt worry.

Someone else here is using my sig pic . Instead of being butthurt I just messaged him and said I liked his sig. No reply though lol
    Thieves rarely say "Thank you"

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Remember, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I think I got that right..............
    but yea it does seem lazy on the sellers part to use other peoples pics. I always use my own photos whenever I sell my stuff. It proves that it is mine, I have it in my possession, and it shows exactly what the buyer is getting. A picture of the same item, does not always mean your getting that same exact item. Meaning any old picture won't do. Gotta be exactly what's being sold since two copies of the same item are not identical.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Nah, I wouldn't care. Fuck, I "borrowed" a photo from google images to list my current Alternity Convoy on eBay because the item was MIB and wasn't really any difference between my boxed toy and the GIS'd pics of him MIB.

8. Thyme

Thyme Disciple of Yun-Harla

Not really.

That is one of the many problems when posting pictures on the Web, they can be used by anyone or at anytime.

9. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I've noticed several ebay listings has a lock-out system which prevents you from saving, copying the pictures used. I don't know how it's done, but might want to look into that.

10. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    Unless you are selling the exact same thing at the same time, then yea no big deal. I had an ass hat steal pics from me and then list his item just shortly after mine, this kind of thing can cause you money if others jump from your auction to thiers. I reported to him Ebay and the dumb ass messages me like I did something wrong. I always watermark my Ebay stuff now.

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't take pictures for money, so I'd be flattered. But that is also not an open invitation for people to take my pictures and pass them off as their own. So it's a little of a two way street.

12. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Get mad? yes, cause I took the time and effort to photograph the item I sell and some goomer come in and yanks it for his/hers personal use. Its like someone will use transformers for selling his merchandise, without Hasbro's permission. For that reason, I watermark all my photos in photoshop.

13. Megaconvoy

Megaconvoy Active Member

only if it hurt your auction. I mean if you and another guy have the exact same pic it could confuse a buyer and have you get undercut.

14. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I might start advertising in my ebay auctions that all photos are original and of the actual item being sold. As it is, if I see a seller that uses the same pic for multiple auctions, I ask for a pic of the actual item if I'm interested in it enough. I actually did this once for Wheeljackslab and he actually did send me a pic of the specific piece that I was interested in. He said that the only reason he did that was because of the volume of auctions that he lists and it saves time.

15. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I've actually had screen caps of video reviews used for Webdiver auctions (for toys that I never reviewed, strangely enough) and my Aveo Swerve was embedded onto one eBay auction. The video I didn't care, more exposure, bit more ad revenue. But I can imagine a photographer going uncredited on an image used on eBay would get pretty annoyed.

16. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I'd be a little upset if the listing was for a loose TF. I wouldn't really care if it was something MISB, unless it's G1.

17. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Nah. i woudl eb fine with it Cause mayeb the seller did not had an cam So he decide to use an pci from teh web

18. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:

19. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be mad but I'd think the guy should use a photo of the actual item. To us someone elses picture is misrepresentation.

20. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't really care honestly...there's bigger things to worry about. Like someone else said, maybe the guy didn't have a camera