Would you ever want a "to scale" TF line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by stevej, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    starscream and megs should be the same size.

i honestly don't care about size class.

2. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn Well-Known Member

Yeah. but it would make it DAMN hard for combiners and triple-changers. We'd either end up with astrotrain with a giant ass train, or Bruticus, with a space shuttle for an arm, and the other limbs a jeep, a tank and a helicopter. He'd have one giant-ass disproportional arm.

3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't mind a line of to-scale figures, but I'm content with the size of most G1's, in robot or vehicle mode. I'd just like to see a bit of tweaking for some of them. Shockwave has really long, skinny legs; change them to shorten him a bit and change the legs if possible to make it a little easier to keep him standing for display. I would've loved to see Bumblebee retain his robot form from the first figure but gain a vehicle mode more like the Goldbug figure (VW Bugs are small but not that damn small). And of course, Devastator and all the other combiners should've towered over all the other figures; the individual Constructicons shouldn't have been so small considering construction vehicles are big and bulky.

As for other lines, I wouldn't mind to-scale movie figures in robot mode, NOT because I demand a Leader class (fill in the blank), because in my short time perusing this site I've seen how combative those arguments have become, but mainly because I'd like some official designations as to how tall the movie versions should be since Michael Bay and Hasbro can't or won't make official proclamations and then make the toy follow suit.

4. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't really care about scale. As long as Bumblebee is not a leader figure and Metroplex is not a scout, I have no complaints.

It's hard to make a TF figure line in scale. Sometimes two figures are in scale in their alt modes, but out of scale in robot mode. Sometimes it goes the other way.

5. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

All aboard the ass train!!

6. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Mass shifting rears it's ugly head yet again :wink:  A scale line of TFs would rock, but then it also depends if you mean alt mode scale, or robot scale... altho it was basically arbitrary to start with, some characters are generally perceived as bigger than others; and that tends to bear no relation to their alt modes.

So it's a tough one... and if I can have the moon on a stick then I'd like scale in both alt & bot modes - so the only version of TFs that would automatically lend themselves to it would be the recent Movie designs. And I'd buy a scale line of those in an instant, provided they were actually design-accurate in both modes..

7. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    The only slight problem I have with the scale of the toys is when they do shit like Ultra Class Powerglide... that's just weird.

8. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I really don't care too much for scale except when large characters are made small and vice versa.

Classics Galvatron is an ultra. Classics Poweglide is a deluxe. Classics Grimlock is an voyager/ultra. etc. These things should be unquestionable.

Sometimes I really question the choices made when it comes to character's scale in a line.

9. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about we completely ignore mass shifting. So what if Bumblebee is as tall as Prowl, so what if Starscream is taller than Prime.* It's the fact that some people can't see passed the cartoon size ratios of the robots that has stopped TFs from even being percieved as serious fiction.

As I mentioned I don't NEED a space shuttle TF in a line (or a tripple changer or a combiner etc...) to like the line so I'm happy for unlikely alt-modes/characters like that to be dumped. Actually, anyone want to hazard a guess to how tall a 1/32 Devastator would be? Surely it'd still be smaller than Fort Max?

* Though granted - a huge Powerglide is a little strange!

10. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Quite simply: yes. In fact, it's always been one of my biggest 'geek dreams' as a TF collector.

11. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I’ve kinda come to terms with scale and TF’s, look at beastwars, maybe 3 of them were actually to scale with their alt modes. I think of it like this TF when looking for alt modes didn’t get that human were meant to go inside them and there for could be any size, they just picked something they liked the look of or was practical to adapt there cybertron form to.
    As a few other people have said what bothers me is TF’s totally out of scale in robot mode, I hate classics grimlock for being to small and the current ultras are so over sized for the characters they are meant to represent.

12. Apeface

Apeface cares not for gophers

I always wanted a 1/18th scale line of Transforming GI Joe vehicles so we could have GI Joe vs Transformers. At least just the Hisstank...c'mon hasbro!!!

13. Grimlock King

Grimlock King ME KING!

Ebay:
    yes, but I'd go for a 1/60 scale!

14. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

I really hate the illogical attachment to robot mode "scale", there is no reason that they have to be those sizes other then they were that size in the g1 cartoon which based there "scale" on the toys more or less.

15. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It seems that the only Transformers line that were on an accurate consistent scale were the Alternators. They were all 1:24 scale. The Dodge Ram was much bigger than the Honda S2000 and it looked very good (yet still managed to fit in the same size box).

16. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I think it would be awesome to have them all in scale.
    However the altmodes should be redesigned.... I choose the Transfarmers mind set where all the TFs are farm machinery and implements.
    Otherwise from a G1 standpoint, I agree that the autobots would all be minicons and the decepticons would be Ultra sizes... still very cool but an odd mix.

17. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So with all the talk of people wanting to add MP Grimlock to their Classics display am I right in assuming that no one has used the MP seekers instead of the Classics seekers to apply a more realistic sense of scale to that line?

I don't own any Classics - How does MP Starscream measure next to Megatron, Prowl or, hell, Powerglide?

18. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I'll never understand why people complain about scale issues. It's an impossible objective to meet, just let it go. I even understood this as a kid when I was playing with my first Transformers back in '85.

19. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm totally cool with the fact that some people don't care about scale but why is it hard to understand that some of us DO?

I don't think asking for an in scale line of Transforming toys (that aren't all cars) is unreasonable when it's never been done before. Hell, I wouldn't begrudge anyone who wanted a line of transforming, erm, frogs. I just personally wouldn't buy it. :) 

With a toyline that gets re-imagined every few years there's no harm in wishing for something new.

20. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

This.