Would you ever want a "to scale" TF line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by stevej, Nov 29, 2008.

1. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other than Alts/BTs of course.

I was bored and threw together the attached image. I know G1 Soundwave and G1 Megs have scale issues already but if we assume that as robots they'd be about equal to Prime could such a line work?

At 1/32 the cars would still be a good size and while the planes would be large there are at least 1/32 scale F-15 model kits out there that prove the scale works. There are Star Wars toys that keep in scale with each other (at least proportionately if not exactly) so isn't it about time TFs catered to what could be a more realistic ideal.

So anyway, would anyone else other than me be interested? And on a related note - does anyone display the MP seekers as part of their Classics line? I'm guessing that at the moment that's as good as you could get for an appropriately scalled display?

It always amazed me that the Autobots and Decepticons were so well matched strategically despite the Autobots always having greater numbers. If the seekers were about 3x taller then that would even things up considerably!

Cheers,
    Steve.

Attached Files:

2. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

Yes yes yes and yes, It would be somthing i would buy and then buy agian and then buy agian to bash.
    But it will never happen..i has the sad.
    the best thing about it is you would be able to finally get a sense of how big some of these bots would really be,the seekers for example. I am sick and tired of car sized jets.

3. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    I would love either a 1/18th Scale or 1/72 Scale Line. Sure, the 1/72 Scale would make the cars really small, but I like all the Micromasters and Minicons =D

4. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Only if the movie line came to life and drove me everywhere I wanted. :D 

But yeah, something like that would be good. I always hated how Ultra Magnus was taller than like 3/4ths of the combiners.

5. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I would much rather have a line where they were in scale in root (robot) form. For example Grimlock is bigger then Prime, but Grimlock comes to the knee of Devastator, and so on.

Theres way to much mass shifting in Transformers to say that the seekers are, and should be giant compared to most of the Autobots.

6. red00wolf

hell they usualy arent even to scale to each other. that usual gets to me real bad if i get to thinking about it.

7. red00wolf

I always hated robot mode over altmode based scale,i mean why go that route other then (well they were that size in the cartoon)and really if mass shifting is going to be used so indiscremantly why not just have someone grow bigger then everyone else and crushem.

8. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Fo'shizzle.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally I really don't care. I'd rather them keep the current size classes though. Unless they can somehow make them in-scale, but keep them in those same size classes at the same time. The only way I could see them doing it is if they base the scaling off of the bot-modes, and not the alt-modes, as there are some that would, to be in-scale, have to be too big to actually produce, unless all the smaller TF's were Legends class size.

10. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think taking the G1 cartoon as the bastion of scale is wrong. Yes, I appreciate that this hypathetical line wouldn't include a Blastoff or tripple changers but I can live with that.

After some rough calculation a 1/32 Starscream would be about 44cm tall if he followed the MP design. Certainly not the largest TF we've ever seen. Imagine a Starscream with this kind of detail: http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=118982&page=1

Also, I'd be happy of this was a high-price collectors line. Again, I'm thinking of the Star Wars line where the new Millenium Falcon (2.5 ft long!) is over £130 (not sure of the US price).

11. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do like them to be in scale but when you see how big the seekers would have to be I am not so sure I would like that. For me the MP/Alt/BT lines are in scale enough. I would have liked the MP line to all have 12" robot modes reguardless of what scale the jet mode would have been. The seekers should be as tall as Prime and Megatron. I display most of my collection in bot mode so as long as the bot modes are close I am happy. I can live with Prime and Megs being the largest but it would have been nice to see 12" bot mode seekers

12. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the current size classes are half the problem - too rigorous and they stop Hasbro taking risks with different sizes. Damn the marketing stats that dictate to Hasbro the most "popular" size classes and that state the good guys sell better than the bad guys, leaders should be larger than most their soldiers and that Classics figures like the seekers, Galvatron and Cyclonus had to be smaller to balance the large number of Autobots at that scale.

13. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At the moment that's the way I display my TFs too (my G1 collection is boxed) and I completely agree that the MP seekers should have had 12" tall bot modes.

For me a completely in-scale line would simply be the line to end all lines. A shame Hasbro never followed through with the military-based Alts.

14. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    You're right about Screamer being that much bigger than Prime.

But, I'd figure that if they're trying to hide on Earth, that bots like Soundwave & Megatron would be tiny, since they'd have to blend in with other human guns & boomboxes...

[​IMG]

15. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OK, how about Megs being a Abrams Tank and Soundwave being a comminations or mobile-command vehicle of some sort. Then they'd be more in scale with Prime. :) 

16. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    While thats a whole other argument, I'll just say this. Transformers (made on Cybertron) were made in their root (robot) forms, alt forms which were given to them after the fact, are just that, an alternate. So the core of the character is based on the root form. For example the character of Ironhide wouldn't feel right if he was portrayed as half the size of Prime.

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a rental place i go by every so often and they have a huge backlot filled with construction vehicles. And they are all painted green.
    i sometimes think Devy is in there.
    that's as far as the scale issue goes for me. i get an idea of how big a bot will be and am happy with what i got.

although, i am surprised that you can't get special, 12 or even 18 inch tall 'formers.
    when i see all the 18 inch Ash, Jason Voorhees or ghoul of the month at Spencer's, i wish we could get an 18 inch SS or even Shockwave.

18. red00wolf

I would imagine that a transformer would pick a alt mode that is in scale to its own body so if ironhide picked a van as his alt it would be becuse thats how big he was. i dont think the g1 cartoon is the best base for robot mode scale, every one is pretty much the same size just becuse it was just easier that way.
    Thats a matter of opinion. i dont see why ironhide couldent be that size and still be as he always was.

19. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I would be completely behind a line that held true to an alt-mode consistent scale.

Scale is a pet peeve of mine (yes, I do realize that it comes with the territory of collecting Transformers), so I've been working to display my Cybertron bots in small groups that I believe are close to being in scale with each other. For example:

~1/32: Downshift, Hot Shot, Cannonball, Smokescreen
    ~1/45: CD Team (Red Alert is a stretch), Evac, Hardtop, Optimus Prime
    ~1/75: Soundwave, Starscream, Megatron (Energon), Shockblast (Energon), Sideways, Armorhide, Bruticus w/ 4 Kickbacks (Energon), Wing Sabre (Doesn't combine with Prime on my shelf)
    ~1/115: Thundercracker, Thunderblast, Scattorshot
    ~1/144: Landmine, Superion w/ 4 Sky Shadows (Energon)
    ~1/333: Jetfire
    ~1/2000: Tidal Wave, Sharkticon

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "Megatron has *smush* fallen! I, Starscream the tallest, am the new leader of the *grinds heel* Decepticons!"