Customs: Would you ever submit your customs to an art gallery?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Have any of you given this any thought? I was curious. Figured I'd ask everyone here. Or do you think that just because it's an action figure, that people would take it less seriously?

2. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I remember there was this one artist that built things out of random bits of scraps n toys he found lying around. Funny thing was that he refused to use anything new. One time he came in and my teacher offered him a bag of those little army men, but he refused to take them because they were brand new. X3

Anywho, he had built a bunch of cars and action figures along with other art pieces. I think the idea is to make something that doesn't look like a kid's toy. Make something that really gets people interested (or offended XP), and it ought to do well in a gallery. Just another 3D work, no?

3. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Only if it was an evil art gallery...:ev: 

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Debatable. Depends on what kind of gallery it was.

I find that a lot of the conflict over what constitutes "Art" is simply an issue of terminology. "Art" is a pretty big umbrella, and includes stuff that is really not very comparable at all... not just in terms of medium, but intent as well.

And so we end up in situations where the stuff that Scott Campbell is doing with his "misformers" is compared to other crafts, painting, illustration, etc... it's a totally different animal.

Transformer kitbashing is a craft, and as such belongs probably in the same domain as illustration, folk art, craft. This is not to denigrate it, but since most kitbashing is not meant to have a message outside of the TF canon, and therefore has little direct relevance to societal aesthetics, it belongs to a different domain than the art that most galleries deal in.

Of course there are lots of galleries that deal largely in fairly mechanical reproductions of landscapes and still life... basically just formal illustrations themselves. I consider that craft as well.

I suspect that someday soon, we'll start seeing galleries devoted to pop culture works, treating them as being as worthy as a Frazetta painting or a piece of industrial design... but we're not quite there yet.

zmog

6. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

smog said it best. what i was thinking but with a vocabulary to express it better than i could.

also booo :mad  on this missformers booo i say boooo!! seems to me anybody could glue a bunch of pieces together. just seems like a bunch of wasted valuable parts to me lol :D 

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

They're not glued together, they're mostly snapped together using balljoints.

The issue I have with 'art', particularly the modern kind, is that it seems that marketing plays far too great a part.

Actual artistic skill can help to some degree, but the fact is, you can throw together any kind of seemingly random crap (which fits in quite nicely with the Misformers, in my opinion :p ) and call it art. The trick is in selling it - churning out a load of pseudo-psychological guff to fool people into thinking there was something deep and meaningful behind its creation, whether there was or not...