Would you display a broken toy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ThatOneBot, Mar 19, 2017 at 4:20 PM.

?

Would you display a broken figure?

1. yes

32 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. maybe

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. ThatOneBot

ThatOneBot Member

YouTube:
    IMG_2088.JPG Being a 15 year old who has just started collecting, much of my collection is childhood toys that are in relatively good condition. However, some figures didnt survive the childhood abuse. while many are in critical condition, and never leave the basement, others retained only minor breaks. for instance, the "pole" that keeps the bumper attached to voyager ironhide broke on mine. however, other than being able to remove the bumper, there is very little problems caused by this, so i keep it displayed regardless. thinking about this made me curious as to what more experienced collectors would do in a similar situation.

2. lordcryotek

lordcryotek I've been eating blue things

Yeah, if the break is minor. A few of my favorites from childhood are missing a peg or two and are still in my display, I draw the line at flaked paint/broken limbs or too many missing accessories.

3. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    I do that with my old BW toys. I fixed the broken ones up as best as I could but some are missing parts here and there. It’s noticeable when entire limbs are gone but I still display them. Maybe I get the parts one day, maybe not, but I don’t see any reason to replace them. They still hold memories which no new toy could replace.

4. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Yes, as they said here, only if the break is minor.

My liokaiser is broken from the arm.

5. TheIronBot

TheIronBot Well-Known Member

If it is minor then okay. The reason i don't collect G1 yet is because i don't have the money to get them complete, and it bugs me if they are missing accessories.

6. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Only if the damage is very minor, or unnoticeable. A few pieces like ROTF Megatron and TF: Prime Predaking have some minor pieces broken off. The worst probably are Combiner Wars Silverbolt, who has a broken part of the hinge holding Superion's head on, and Universe Starscream, who has a peg holding his nosecone in place in jet mode broken. I do have a box of older toys that have broken apart in more drastic ways, though.

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Was that figuratively speaking or do you really live in the basement, like in all these clichés?

• Like Like x 1
  8. ThatOneBot

ThatOneBot Member

YouTube:
    no, the basement is where all my old toys are kept.

• Like Like x 2
  9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, as these things age some breaks are going to be inevitable, but it kind of depends on how severe the damage is too.

My Titanium War Within Optimus Prime has a broken tab, it's minor and he's still transformable so I have him up. But having said that I take good care of my toys, and practically all toys bought new as an adult are unbroken. It's only my childhood toys or second hand toys which might have breaks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It depends. My T30 Springer, for example, is essentially an Action Master now. I still keep him around though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    Depends on two things:

One: The type of break. If it is something you don't notice or can easily be jerryrigged or repaired to decent shape, then yes. For example, my Generations Doubledealer had his backplate shatter... glued it together and it is solid again. You can see the scar if you look for it but otherwise unnoticable.

Two: Personal connection. My Movie Dunerunner or whatever his name is... its the figure who is now Baby Clouder in my comic. His leg is completely broken. The socket snapped to pieces. So I glued it in place. He can never transform again but because he has a special connection, due to him being a character in my webcomic, I'll always display him.

12. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

I have broken ROTF Ironhide and Ratchet on display........Ironhide with dotm toys and Ratchet with aoe toys

13. The Smirker

The Smirker Yeeeeee-Hawwwwww

Behind your computer, stealing ur dignity
    I have the same exact life as you.

14. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'll display a broken figure if at least one of the following conditions are met:

1) The break is not visible in one of the modes. If the figure can still be held together in vehicle mode, or if the broken/missing piece doesn't negatively impact the look of the robot mode, then I will still display it. (Not broken, but I use a lot of heads for customs, so I have a bunch of headless figures on display in their vehicle modes. I also have a figure whose waist is glued together, so I display him in robot mode.)

2) It's a custom. Off the top of my head, I can think of a custom figure (TFTM deluxe Jazz) that's missing some arm panels (and maybe a part of the hood?), with a new head, but still looks like a decent display piece, AND helps separate it from the complete Jazz on the shelf above it.

3) It represents a scene in the fiction. Some of the breaks can be justified as "movie-accurate" battle damage. Half a Jazz figure? One-armed Optimus? Just Megatron's head? Still works!

(I'm sure I'll come back and add a fourth condition at some point, but that's all I have for now.)

• Like Like x 1
  15. ThatOneBot

ThatOneBot Member

YouTube:
    my dog chewed up one of the shoulder cannons on my desert brawl, so i guess this is my excuse, seeing how jazz kicked it off in the movie. (side note: did anyone notice how jazz jumping on brawl was a reference to the 1986 movie?)

16. axl6533

axl6533 Anarchy Is Your Freedom

Sould add maybe to the poll

17. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I have a few broken toys on display, most noticeably my original very battered G1 Optimus Prime. It's one of the few toys I still have from when I was a kid, and has a lot of sentimental value, so it stays out, although it stays in truck mode because it's also missing a few accessories; I have the 25th Anniversary reissue for robot mode display.

• Like Like x 1
  18. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

Maybe.

Small issues, until I can fix them or replace the figure, might mean leaving the figure on display.

Loved figures get the sentimental allowance, to a point.

Some breaks work well in a display. Gestalts love ripping smaller bots apart, so if it is a "cool" break, I'll use the figure of the "cannon fodder" in a display.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

Yep. The G1 Grimlock on my desk has a broken right robot leg. He stays in dino-mode since the friction is enough to keep it in place.

20. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Sure. It niggles at me and I often find myself tracking down replacements but so long as it doesn't appear broken I'll display it.