would you date someone without a cell phone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Sep 12, 2008.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I have had numerous threads about crazy things. Here is my new one.

I had a conversation at work about this. My cashier and the cute single customer both agreed that dating someone without a cell phone was weird.

I have no cellphone...I guess I live in the 18th century?

2. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

It would be weird? :crazy: 

I don't have one and I'm not looking for one.

Women without tumors are my preference. ;) 

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Weird? Possibly.

But if the other person was hot I'd still date them. People did used to be able to find each other before cell phones were around, not dating someone because they have no phone is, well stupid.

If I had no phone, it would mean the other person would have to put more effort in, and would tell me a lot about them.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have a cell phone. My girlfriend is fine with that.

The thing is, I'm not big on people always being able to get a hold of me. I'm not exactly Mr. Popular or anything, but when you work a full time+ job, have hobbies, a girlfriend, and several close friends with a bit more casual friends, your time gets sucked away VERY fast. I need a few days to myself. So, I really don't need a way to introduce a new method for people contacting me at any given moment. I really don't consider this weird, and to be honest I find people chatting away on a cell phone in public or allowing a cell phone to interrupt anything they're doing to be amazingly annoying. There are definitely times they can come in handy, obviously, but most people are turning to them as their main phone, and despite phone companies claim to the contrary, I have never had a conversation involving a cell phone that was as clear as two standard home phones.

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

That is exactly what I think...but this might also be a generation gap thing. Everybody I know who is around 21ish has a cell phone.

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's probably true. Most people in their early 20's and younger, down to high school and sometimes lower, have cell phones. It's funny how its gotten to the point where they feel it's a necessity and find it totally strange when someone doesn't have or want one.

7. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The idea of not dating someone just because they don't have a cell phone is a bit strange.

I've got one, but I don't have a home phone. Best move ever - ditch the publicly listed (and prone to cold calling etc) number and stick with the cell.

8. Shaba

Shaba Decepticon femme TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't have one attm. When I get another job that requires me to travel and be away from family, I'll get one again. My beef is that when I had one, even though I bought the cheapest plan available, I still only used 1/4th of my minutes. That and even when I was away from home, I always had my laptop w/ me and used that as my main line of communication to friends/family.

That and I have a 'thing' about talking to others via phone...I just don't like it...and, no, I never got into that texting thing, either (I'm glad).

9. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    I have Virgin Mobile cellphone that i ONLY use in emergencys. I just have no reason to have one as a primary phone. They are still expensive in my eyes! With my Virgin Mobile phone I spend maybe $10 a month!

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I would love it.

No cell phone would = minimal phone calls at odd tims "just to talk."

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I WAS the person without a cell phone at one point when dating this chick. I kinda liked it for her not being able to reach me at any given point. Gave me some independence.

12. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I have a Nextel that I very rarely use... I only have it on in case one of my family members needs to get a hold of me, as well as for when I'm out on the road and encounter any problems or emergencies.

If I ever, and I mean IF EVER, I have a date, chances are I'll only give him the number to my house. Much more convenient that way.

14. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my gf and i both have a cell phone (mind you there on one plan) we dont have a home phone lol.

and we text frequently lol

however...she only has a cell phone because of me lol. when i started dating her she had no phones whatsoever

15. Sunstar

Sunstar All Hail Lord Starscream

Civilisation is all about the creation of unnecessary necessities. You don't need a phone attached to your head. Especially when driving. Primus forbid anyone who hits me while having a cellphone attached to their heads. I will sue them until the cows come home.

Unless there was a good solid reason to get a cellphone, I probably won't.

Devices I do not own:
    Dishwasher
    Microwave
    Television
    Cell Phone
    Car

16. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I wouldn't date someone who will not date someone who doesn't have cell phone. (I do have a cell phone)

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I do have one myself, but rarely use it at all, so it's basically almost as if I don't have one.

18. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I have no cell phone by choice. It's amazing how free it is to not be constantly annoyed and distracted by it.

19. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

Funny, you dont have those but you have the most evil one, the computer.

20. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

O K At what point in our societary lives did owning a Cell Phone become necessary to score with a chick? (To use a low-brow euphamisim.)

I do not own, possess or even want a Cell Phone, I do not have one friend in this entire world best, casual or otherwise. My social habits are difficult to get around when it comes to friendships I guess, I don't know. Everyone I ever talked toi n High-School dropped out of my life at Graduation even some of the ones who at one point or another consdered me an actual friend.

I don't like talking on the regular home phone, hell I never pick it up I always let the machine answer it and 9 out of 10 times it's long distance solicitations that have no clue our new machine picked up because there is no message from the family of the household and the message is short so by the time their stupid machine makes the actual connection it's already said "Hello, please leave a message after the beep or the tone or whatever it finishes with". So we get morons saying Hello, Hello, Hello for five minutes before hanging up.

I have no interest in paying money to have a phone on my person at all times for pointless reasons, I just borrow my dad's or mother's cell phone when I need to. I do not like phones period, I don't know why maybe because when I was a kid I was told repeatedly never to answer the phone to strangers, but maybe I did once and was so traumitized I buried the experience in my sub-conscious somewhere so now I don't like them. Or maybe it's just some wierd quirk I have, who knows. The point is, if you're not going to date someone purley because they lack STATUS SYMBOL CELL PHONE! then you my friend have a serious problem, I mean giving all these kids cell phones doesn't seem to stop the kidnappers from making off with all the unlucky ones who still get nabbed, probably raped then murdered and dumped somewhere. And I'm just ranting now... Sorry. But you know, the phone companies came up with this stupid Cell Phone craze just to make more money because by the time they realized that most households who own a phone usually don't have to buy new ones for thirty+ years and fixed the problem by making phones cheaper and thus easier to break down some people had wised up and started keeping older phones from one generation to the next or something. So yeah, it's all about Cash, Greed and Stupid CEOs saying YOU NEED A CELL PHONE SO WE CAN KEEP OUR CORPORATE SIZED INCOMES! F*** that I say.