Would you buy TF Classics again? what would it take?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Golden Age, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

The Japanese TF Classic repaints look great, but I don't think that i'm going to rebuy the ones I already own. It would take a significant upgrade for me to buy them all again. Now if the Classics were reissued at some point, with the updated paint/chrome applications, but with the addition of diecast parts...I would be all over them!!

2. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    For me, it's about cost. If I could pick up these figures at a US MSRP, then I'd buy them all .

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I won't buy a single one, because they're ugly as sin with the random chrome, and boring paint applications (bumblebee). actually, I might pick up prime if I can get him for really cheap.

I'm also one of the few that think the Takara Megatron looks terriby boring compared to the Hasbro one.

4. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

All I have is Ramjet anyway, I don't exactly have a problem (minus the lack of Mirage-y goodness). BUT, if I did for some reason have them all, it'd take being as different as Megatron or Astrotrain to rebuy them. Wouldn't hurt if they weren't as expensive, but that's partly why they can have chrome and crap like that.

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

I might rebuy several of them if they were re-released at US retail; deluxe and voyager prices aren't too bad, and I kinda want a set to keep in package for some reason. I'd be all over it if they came with new pack-ins and accessories. Die-cast parts would absolutely kill any interest I might have in them though; I hate die cast. Plus, re-engineering the molds to accomodate die cast would probably make the cost go up anyways.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I put the Classic Megatron, Prime, Grimlock and Starscream up for sale because I prefer the Japanese versions. Prime didn't sell, so I cancelled my preorder for Convoy. :lol  And I'll keep Astrotrain but use his purple gun for the Japanese anime deco, and because he's worthless on eBay.

I won't buy those molds again except for the Botcon exclusives, or unless they're remolded as different characters.

7. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Is Japanese Astrotrain confirmed to be purple/grey (anime accurate)? I remember seeing a scan but didn't know if that's official.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I preordered based on the assumption the scan was legit. We had verbal confirmation it would be anime-accurate. But I wouldn't yet call this photo official or the deco final.

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I prefer the Hasbro versions for the most part too (Megatron included). That said, if I run into a convenient and hopefully not-too-expensive opportunity to get a couple (such as Botcon), I would probably bite. Definitely interested in a gray Astrotrain though.

I think the only "Henkei" toys where the token amounts of chrome actually add something (as opposed to making the toy look more like a knockoff) would be Prime and Mirage.

10. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'm not that impressed with the Japanese versions of the classics toys. On a lot of them, the chrome feels really forced. Megatron's the only one I'd consider getting, (and I'm not fond of that chrome chest plate) but I've already repainted my Hasbro Megs into colors I preffer.

11. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I didn't think there was anything wrong with where Astrotrain's chrome is located. Random patches on chests or grills or weapons, a bit lame on most, but Space Choo Choo's thrusters?

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    And I'm another! It would be cool with more chrome and less milky white, but as is, it's really dopey looking

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'll Prime if I can find him for the right price, but other than him I'm not that interested in the rest.

14. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    For me I like to get Prime, Astrotrain, and Grimlock (I actually like the chrome around his chest)...that is if they are for a good price.

I also agree that I prefer Hasbro's deco's over Takara's

15. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I'm buying Megatron again for the more accurate colors. That's it though.

16. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I am getting them all except Grimlock. I think all the other ones look really good. Especially looking forward to Megatron and Astrotrain's new and better schemes. Can't wait. :) 

17. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of buying Rodimus, and Megatron (hideous plastic gun green/purple/grey monstrocity)

I have this compulsive habit of picking up most Hot Rod toys and there was nothing classic about this version.

I like Astrotrain and prefer the grey purple over the previous white purple so I will most likely pick that up.

Speaking of classics I really should get Jetfire sometime soon.

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    If they were to re-release them here in the US, I would probably pick up a few extras for kitbashes (I've got a fare amount of ideas that would start with a Classics 1.0 mold). I'm not a big enough fan to get the Japanese versions. I actually prefer the way the Hasbro versions look compared to the Takara one's (crhome is ok every once in a while, but when you go out of the way to put it on every figure in one line, it's a bit pushy). The Megatron figure is the only one that interests me at all, but I'm not going to be buying one.

19. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually the chrome is good this is why when Classics 2.0 arrives I won't jump in and buy it right away. I will wait for the Classics 2.0 by Takara-Tomy.
    Anyway, I'm planning to get Megatron and Astrotrain.

20. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Maybe now I can finally find a Classics Starscream.