Would you buy a Gobots comic?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by dsn1014, Apr 4, 2012.

1. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

If IDW were to release a Challenge of The Gobots comic, would you go for it?

We've seen many cameos of the Gobots being punished through the past number of years, but would a trip to Gobotron be a decent break for those who enjoy transforming robot comics? Hasbro has the rights to the property now (I believe) and it has been mentioned as an alternate universe in the Allspark Almanac II, could it have potential for a decent mini-series?

I know transforming robot fiction sans Primes, Unicrons and Matrices... mental!

Just curious.

2. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    lol no. The designs of Gobots were very inferior. That would be even more awful to look at as the old Marvel Transformers comics.

3. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I would buy it in bulk if it was actually true to Challenge of the GoBots but I doubt anybody, much less IDW, is interested in, let alone capable of, doing that.

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Nope

5. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    I'd definitely give it a shot. Gobots were part of my childhood too, albeit a much smaller part. The characters and world have potential to be interesting, keyword there being potential. Differentiating that potential from previous TF stories would, however, be difficult.

6. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Baka Mitai

If it were Challenge of the Gobots, hell yeah. I got the 5 episode pilot HB released last year, and I'm still hoping they do the full series. But preferably only with a fan, or at least someone who actually knows the series writing. Not someone for whom it's just a job.

7. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With good art and story? Yes. Definately.

BUT... It's NEVER gonna happen. Hasbro only owns the names and backstory. All the appearences and robot designs belong to Bandai Japan (they were only leased by Tonka back in the day) meaning Hasbro has no rights to them.

And Bandai is a rather bitter rival of Takara Tomy in Japan. There's no way they'd ever liscence them to Hasbro.

-ZacWilliam, likewise Hanna Barbara and Warner Bros likely have rights to some of the non toy show stuff. So yeah, never gonna happen. Sadly.

8. RamenJunkie

RamenJunkie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I would go for it. Someone said the designs were inferior but they could be updated the way TF has. So basically, a while different set of transforming robots with a different mythos? Heck yeah.

Hell, I wish Transformers would do this more. Like I want a show that doesn't have Prime or Megatron, at all. Also I have been thinking about the possibility of a time line where Prime reluctantly sides with Megatron against Zeta Prime in the start. Like, instead of going on opposite sides.

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tough question. If it were released as a trade I think I'd give it a shot, but I wouldn't see myself gaining too much interest in it.

10. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

I wouldn't go as far as to say they were all awful, there are some nice elegant pieces, but dependant on the artist they could look any way that people want them to. Its not as if modern Transformers comics haven't diverted away from the toy design. And as ZacWilliam points out they couldn't use the likenesses of the toys owing to them being owned by Bandai.

I wouldn't say that they're not capable, but it would be a challenge to do the Gobots. There is a pretty mythos there already and it could be true to the source and maybe even come to a definitive conclusion. Though I'd worry they'd wind up with a series similar to the Beast Wars minis.

Fair enough :) 

There would be the danger of the same old same old, but that said it would remove the crutch of tired mcguffins that Transformers has tended to lean on in the past.

This would help to bring the potential that's there out alright. And it would be a challenge to find someone who's not just jobbing it.

Hasbro couldn't make their own toys? But by non toy, you mean Gobotron and a lot of the premise then?

I'd love to see it, something a bit different, a nice self contained mini. could even be all repurposed transformers bots, like Bug bite and Crasher that we've seen already. I'd accept renames of certain things if it got a good story across. If Gobotron is gone, I'll accept Robotron or Gobotica. Just strikes me as a shame to have a lot of the rights to names and story and not use them.

This all stemmed from a couple of great articles I've been reading about the line here. I really want to get my mits on those Robo Machines stories from the Eagle comics.

11. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I'd give it a try, out of sheer curiosity. If they updated the Gobot concept the same way they've updated TFs, I see no reason why it couldn't be a decent comic.

12. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

no.

13. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'd buy it if it was done right. I'd expect up-to-date alt modes and some name changes to get around any infringement issues. And feature the ten or so gobots that have already crossed over as the main cast. Others like Leader-1, Turbo, Scooter, Cy-Kill, Cop-Tur, Loco, Fitor, etc. could be used as support characters. Why wouldn't it work in an updated form?

14. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on who is making it.

15. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i can imagine a story involving non-aligned robots lost in space, on a quest to return to cybertron's sister planet gobotron, only to find out it was destroyed a million years ago. a story with lots of flash backs of how both planets used to trade and interact with each other before any of the current transformers existed.

16. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes. But then again, I actually LOVE the Gobots and Machine Robo

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I kind of assumed it'd be IDW doing it and I just don't think they're up to doing something that different. From Infiltration to RID/MTMTE, their TransFormers comic has been all over the place, but not once has it ever reminded me of the pre-movie cartoon. To be fair, not even contemporary stuff like Futurama or Batman Adventures felt right all of the time. There'd be too much temptation to go grimdark cereal or turn it into just another TF comic.

18. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    No!

What?

No!

19. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro would have to change all the robot appearences for Bandai and likely the surroundings/human cast for Hana Barberra to the point that I don't think it could be enough like GoBots to BE a real GoBots comic in any meaningful way.

It would be cool to see a modern comic deal with one of the biggest differences between TFs and GoBots though: that GoBots are not actually robots at all, but are really Cyborgs who slowly replaced their human like organic body parts with machine bits but still have their squishy organic bits deep inside. That's a big differentiator.

-ZacWilliam, there's a LOT of deep Sci Fi story potential there a modern series could dig into...

20. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Only if it it was tied to TF's.