Would you AFA grade your Masterpiece Trf?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Wakaoz, May 15, 2014.

1. Wakaoz

Wakaoz Well-Known Member

The beauty of Masterpiece is in the design- G1 with a touch of modern masterclass technology. Its a waste to keep its awesomeness trapped in a box. So would you even consider AFA grading it? I mean all you can enjoy now is only e box art...

Your thoughts?

2. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Buhahahahah

no. The money on could sped on that racket could be better spent on more MPs.

3. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hell no. No window to see figure, no chance for AFA grading.

4. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

What the hell is the point in AFA? Just because some people slap a grade on it, it means it's that set value? I see people buying turds in TF form for hundreds of dollars, yet it's worthless to me.

5. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

They are already so expensive it would turn a lot of people off.

6. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    This. I've been able to remove the tape from all my Takara MP's without a single trace of tape remaining. Even the double taped Takara MP's.

That means there's absolutely NOTHING stopping me from filling that no-windowed box with a bag of sand of equal weight, resealing the box with exactly the same, not-very-unique tape that Takara used, and sending the whole box to be graded and placed in a nice sealed perspex box, never to be opened again.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    AGAIN collecting is obviouslying not for you, as a great many G1 items are like this, yet those who do collect graded items have no problem with this.

Do you really not understand, or are you simply being retorical only to express your opinion? I'm guessing the latter given the overall tone of your post. However, it's a little hard to tell since it seems you're confused about value and grading. AFA doesn't assign prices or value; it's a company that grades action figures only.

8. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I think you should start up a donation cause to do this, then document the process and film opening up the AFA graded box of sand, and post it on the interwebz... I'd kick in $5 to see it.

9. Wakaoz

Wakaoz Well-Known Member

Precisely~ there is no window to allow appreciation of e figure, its like u r juz buying e box art LOL, but alot of peeps doing that, immediately sending their MPs to AFA after purchase. Mayb e mentality is another 30+ yrs, e appreciation in value will b similar to a graded G1 Fort Max or Omega Supreme e sorts...

10. Wakaoz

Wakaoz Well-Known Member

Alldarker, have u tried sending one to AFA and pass it? Let us noe man!
    You won't be opening e box of sand anymore but definitely gonna open a can of worms. Kaka :D 

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I wouldn't AFA anything. I've never seen the appeal.

12. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not sure what you mean squad. I have no problem with AFA G1 figures since you can see all the wonderful boxart along with the toy still sealed in it's bubble.

13. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I would like AFA slide bottom cases to put my boxes in to display the opened figures next to.

14. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    They are available and really look great. They are not cheap though. I think I paid $40 each a few years ago + shipping.

15. Wakaoz

Wakaoz Well-Known Member

Hi maz25, u got this via AFA or somewhere else? Can you post a pic? Thanks :) 

16. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    It wouldn't work. The AFA people actually open the MISB figures they receive to inspect them.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    What I'm meaning is that there are several AFA G1 figures that are boxes only without the figure being visible. If visibility of a figure is the only reason to permit AFA grading, then pursuing an AFA collection may not be for you. An AFA collector is typically more interested in insuring a figure stays in it's pristine, case-fresh condition or as closely as possible, regardless of what the package design is. That being said, a collector can simply choose not to collect those figures, if one is collecting G1. For instance, one could just set out to collect the G1 cars from 1984-85, and not collect the entire lines since a figure like Omega Supreme would fall into the "box only" category. However, since the topic is "Masterpieces AFA'ed", then the majority of those are closed boxes only.

18. Wakaoz

Wakaoz Well-Known Member

Just curious...E purpose to AFA besides affirming e figures condition, is also to protect & keep it in its best form.
    Therefore would u noe if MP01 is sent for AFA grade, will they help to remove e battery that comes with it? In e long run e batt might leak & it is just weird having say a AFA90 grade but a possible "rotting" figure sitting inside e box...Scary~ :p 

19. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No they don't... you're thinking of the "U" (Uncirculated) grade, where they take a toy fresh out of packaging, slab it, and give it a "U" Grade (essentially a "loose/Near-Mint" graded example).

Opening items they're going to grade as sealed would be a contradiction in terms. Look at all the AFA Graded Star Wars carded figures - definitely not opened!! Yes, TF are in a box (rather than card; well some of them) - but that wouldn't change AFA's process...

20. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Here you go -

In Stock Cases