Would the Funnies deserve some kinda wiki page?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Fez Findie, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

You know, with so much established stuff, storylines that sometimes even extend to other comics, individual characters and multiuniversal items and phenomenons (like plot holes), there'd be rather much info and such that could be stored in one source more or less. Though I do acknowledge that this might be just a silly idea and It'd most likely be more trouble than its worth, but I just had to say it out.

Imagine how Megabolt's wikipage would look like :p 

I came up with this after recallin' superdickery.com's wikipage that desrcibed members and phenomenons in that forum and so on.

Also, I wasn't sure if this could have been put into the funnies section since... isn't it supposed to be just for the comics and so?

2. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

If you want to make a funnies on tfwiki, go for it!

3. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Sounds like a good idea to me...

--Moony

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good idea with one exception, it would be the most image heavy page on Wiki!:wink: 

5. Buzzer-Bot

Buzzer-Bot Kamikaze

That would be okay,if you know what you're doing and not publishing nonsense.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Haha that would be cool!

7. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Hey, I like the idea. :D 

8. Fez Findie

Whoah...

Guess I did hit right on this time :) 

One thing I think where we should start off from, besides listing characters, is also listing stuff like;

- Major events (intercomic ones and such)
    - Items of importance
    - Locations
    - Phenomenon (such as plot holes, which, despite their extensive effects and all to the comics, don't seem to have been studied by anyone much 'cept for my Shockwave XD )

etc.

9. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This lol
    But it is a cool idea. Like to see someones take on it.

10. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I can't remember where it is... but didn't Walky start up a Wiki some time ago for fan-properties/characters?

EDIT: Here it is: http://transfanon.wikia.com

Although it's part of wikia- so how do the TFWiki folks feel about it?

And for that matter, maybe the Funnies could use an overhaul like Radicons got?

11. Moonscream

News Credits:
    You could just make a summary of the comic, key characters, a few key events, and then link to the comic thread. Trying to include major events when they're constantly happening in just about every comic would have you reading and updating the wiki all day long.

--Moony

12. General Tekno

News Credits:
    See, the way I would do it is thus - rework the Funnies section to be kinda like Radicons:

1. Each thread is a minigallery. Comic writers upload pages to the comic galleries (which go from page 1 to most recent), which would then bump them to the top of the page when pages are added. People can then comment on the threads as per usual, and the first post in the thread could contain story/character info.

13. Moonscream

News Credits:
    Aside from the 'first post containing story/character info', isn't that how the Funnies section already *is* organized?

--Moony

14. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Nup.
    It's just a standard forum.

15. General Tekno

News Credits:
    Nope - problem with it now is hunting for updates in your story. If it's popular, you have to look back multiple pages to see if there was an update or not (and you may have missed a couple).

Would be nice for each comic to have some kind of self-contained gallery.

16. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

I think that this a really nice idea.:thumbs2: 
    The important thing will be to make sure that the content is as well written and well presented as possible. Probably best to look at the wikipedia entries for comics and comic characters as an example of how to professional, useful content.

I know we're all doing this as a hobby, but the better presented we can make a wiki, the more people will use it. Otherwise it might become a bit self-indulgent and fan wankish.

That's a good starting point. One idea might be to get some writers to each pick one comic, go through it getting those basic facts (major plot events, major characters, important notes/gizmo's/etc) write the basic articles and then move on to another. Once the "basics" for a comic are in the wiki, people can go back and add in more detailed content.

Some good advice there. Best not to try and squeeze in every detail, as you'll be at it all day (I hardly have time to keep up with READING the funnies, let alone write a full wiki for every detail of every aspect of them)

If you want anyone to help edit or write content, I'm more than happy to oblige. I'm no good with stuff like actually setting up a wiki, but I'm happy to scribble away at the content.

As far a Radicons style update for the Funnies: I think that's a nice idea. Anything to make the Funnies more accessible and keep the older stuff in the public eye is a good idea in my book. But that would be down to the TFW2005staff to decide. Maybe someone should PM Buzz about it? He's the first port of call for any Funnies related requests.

17. Fez Findie

:) 

Yeah, better start off with a basic structure and then tone up the details. Like with major characters... one problem at first would be that some characters/toys appear in more than one comic, like Voyager class Classics Optimus.

The easy way to start off on that would be to list out character traits that sets them apart from the others (like how this Optimus Prime stands out from the other Prime's)

Then more stuff can be added as it goes, though some characters are much easier to write off a bigger article upon than others at the beginning :)  (like Megabolt XD )

18. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Interesting point. I think that it might be better to simply split them according to the comic they appear in. After all, though the same toy might be used, the actual characters can be VERY different, and each have their own traits and histories. So rather than one uber-long article about the each of the characters that the Classics Megatron has been used to portray, you'll get separate articles for Grimlock 13's Classics Megatron, your own Classics Megatron, TCracker's BA Megs and so on.

So the article would be titled "Megatron (Grimlock 13's attempt a Funnies)", the next "Megatron (Half Randomness just for the fun of it)", and another entitled "Megatron (TCracker's Mind Numb)

Just a suggestion.:) 

19. Fez Findie

That's what I kinda meant in the first place :) 

20. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

My fear is that associating our Funnies with this wiki especially has the potential to become elitist and inaccessible very quickly. How on Earth are you going to determine relevancy? Will everyone get to have their own page or will it be subject to Wiigii approval? What if piles of abandoned comics end up dragging both concepts down?

I would very much rather see a more organized update of the current forum, with its open participation and resulting variety, than to arbitrarily hand any set of comics or fans a monopoly at the expense of the community as a whole, and would be more than willing to help get something like that up and running.