Would the comics benefit from a new all female combiner?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Bass X0, Jan 16, 2015.

1. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

There is some truth in that I think, but research has found the active ingredients used in male and female deodorant are the same and usually in the same quantities, it is just the scent that varies.

Yeah it's a start, and I'm sure I've seen some ads with girls playing with regular Nerf stuff too so hopefully we will see more of that. We are seeing progress, which I think is why the backlash is intensifying as well. Same thing with video games.

Oh and another issue with TMNT beyond no Karai util later this year (and mutant Karai at that) is that the April figure has much more limited articulation than the others so she can't do any of her kuniochi stuff. That's another issue, when we do get female figures often they have corners cut like that so they literally aren't a particularly good toy and then people wonder why they shelfwarm.

2. TFan2013

TFan2013 Energon Seeker

I really don't want a combiner bot with giant boobs. I really don't. I don't care if some of the members are female, but if the combiner is female. No. THe boobs are already distracting and illogical. No big boobied combiner please. Vote: Male.

... Wait. Where are people voting for this?

3. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

I don't want to see a combiner with breasts either, but I still think it should be female. Look at Strongarm as an example. Having said that no one has bigger breasts than Metroplex and no one complains.

The idea that all you need to do to make something female is slap some breasts on it is offensive in itself, plenty of females don't have breasts or have smaller breasts than a lot of males. Robot don't need breasts at all.

4. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    There was also no Karai for the movie toy line (despite having a role in the film), and again, April's figure had horribly limited articulation there too.

Though, not to make the situation seem lighter, but Playmates seems to cut corners on figures that aren't the Turtles. Shredder's cartoon toy, the foot soldier and Kraang toys are examples of this. But then again, for the new movie line, Shredder and the Foot got good articulation, but like I said, April did not.

What? Being a female robot doesn't automatically equate to having boobs. And then just because it's a female combiner it gets boobs? It wouldn't be any worse than Ultra Prime's stick-out chest.

And if you don't believe me, off the top of my head, there is Strika, Airrazor, and movie Arcee.

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People really shouldn't be conflating "bad female designs" with "females" in order to argue against female Transformers. Combined-form or otherwise. I mean, at this point we can counter that argument by posting a picture of Strongarm and be done with it.

...although I'm now a bit tempted to start a fan movement to refer to combiners by gender-neutral "they/them" pronouns. One, because the fact that they/them are also plural pronouns leads to a sort of double-appropriateness. Two, because most combiners don't actually exist in a social setting for long enough to display gender. Three, because at least one and probably two combined Transformers with male and female segments already exist, so there is clearly the potential for them to have aspects of both genders.

6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Kids DO choose their own interests, and surprise, surprise, they usually choose exactly what most people would expect. I think the whole "boys and girls have the same interests" is possibly one of the saddest delusions I've heard, because it's a well known fact that they have differing interests (again, there will be exceptions). Throughout history little girls have played with dolls, while boys have thought that was silly. That's exactly why companies like Hasbro market products to different genders, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. If you're a girl who likes Transformers, that's fine, but you need to understand Hasbro's decision and deal with it, because it probably won't change.

This is quite possibly your only post I agree with. I can understand subtlety making the girl robots more feminine, but I dislike all the female features, especially when the male robots are mostly just...typical robots.

7. Una

Una Well-Known Member

I think we are all getting way off topic here, but I have to ask you: why do kids, both boys and girls, choose their interests? You have to remember kids are highly influenced by their parents and the society they live in. Why do parents give boys tanks while they give their girls the dolls? Could it be that society makes them go a certain way, a certain toy?

Especially with how markets advertise their toys. A little girl will see how girls on tv playing with dolls and go: I have to play with those. Also, parents and relatives would give her dolls. When I was a little girl, that was all I got. Dolls. It is the same with boys. Boys would see other boys on tv playing with action figures, tanks, planes... etc.. So they see that and go: I have to play with those. And parents and relatives on special occasions would give them those toys.

What I'm trying to say here is: Toy or any other markets, parents, are influenced to give what they believe each boy or girl wants. But if their influences are based on what society deems boys SHOULD play with and what girls SHOULD play with then, is it really the children's choice or are the children just influence to think that?

8. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Not true, I played also with the Barbies of my bigger sister (although I usually stripped them off their clothes and made them be friends with Marshall Bravestarr) and I had also a My Little Pony.

It's not an delusion. It's what parents imprint onto their children what they HAVE to like and what not.

9. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Buddy would like to have a word with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j2xEwEHbrE

10. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I'm really glad someone brought that up because, at the end of the day, it's not children who buy toys but their parents. They are the ones paying for it.

I work in a shop with a large toy department and it's depressing how many times I've seen this scenario play out.

Parent: Go on sweetie. Go pick out a toy you want.
    Child: *makes a beeline towards section that is opposite to their gender*
    Parent: Oh no sweetie. That's for *insert opposite gender* they're not for you.

I've seen poor little kids in tears because they dared to pick up a toy that their parents deemed 'not suitable' for their gender. And liitle boys tend to get the worst of it because their parents have this weird notion that buying him a doll will turn him gay or something equally ridiculous.

Hell, sometimes we give away free lego gift bags and I show the kids what they can choose from. And before the kid can say anything parent is already saying "oh, not that one. It's for girls" or *she's a girl she doesn't want star wars"

It's freaking lego. It can ve whatever you want it to be.

If a boy wants to play with trucks, awesome. If a girl wants to play with dolls, awesome. If little boy wants to play with a doll, and the girl a truck then awesome. Just let them choose and don't force your own opinion on them.

11. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    From my own experience, I have two girls, one aged 4, one 12. Both have male cousins roughly the same age (both are a little older than the girls)

With the eldest, being the youngest of 3 and not really knowing much about raising kids, let alone girls, I went with what I know; football, robits, superheroes, rock music. She's the girliest girl you'll ever meet, loves her make up, fairies, ponies, manufactured pop stars and all that guff. Didn't come from her mum either as she never wears make up or dresses, and in general isn't particularly girly herself. Her same aged cousin has always been equally happy to play with her stuff as he has his own.

When the second came around, with a bit of a better handle on what to expect, we went full girly on her when she was younger, Disney Princesses, fairies, pretty dresses etc. Her favourite things in the world as of right now are Spiderman and Batman. She's dying to get her hands on my Transformers since the ones that she's got aren't interesting enough for her, she wants to drive a digger when she's older, or be a pirate, and she'll quite happily watch a football match with me even though I've never actively encouraged her too. But she also loves Frozen (even though I keep telling her Tangled is better) and Littlest Pet Shop.

When I were a lad, I inherited my sisters Cindy dolls, as well as my brothers Action Men, and they were both good foils for my Transformers and Ghostbusters, which the girl next door used to come around to play with.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  12. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had seen it too as well.

I had both Barbies and other toys. I remember time where I had building a science kit where I got put the light bulb in a circuit. I also got a chemistry set but I was not allowed to play with that without supervision. I guess they thought I was going blow up the house, Okay go figure. Around the time I was into Transformers and used my allowance to buy some.

It is the parents who buy toys most cases. I had seen where the kids bought them too but it is smaller stuff not the big items

13. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    this

Also a boy playing with sexy girl dolls should be gay? :D 

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Or they may just be starting to like sexy women.

15. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I don't remember anyone ever telling me what to like. When I was young, I was fascinated by big construction trucks, no one else in my family ever liked those. I don't think my parents gave me truck toys until I became interested. Even more in favor of this, is the facy that my sister always liked animals, but never become interested in Hello Kitty, even though my parents bought her toys. My sister also liked Transformers when I first became interested in it, but quickly dropped it for Littlest Pet Shop instead. I think boys and girls just have differing interests.

16. Spartan0996

Spartan0996 Island Devil

I just... can't comprehend why you all are even having this argument. I really see no reason why we need to dictate which toys are for which gender. Why does it matter to those who are against it? Honestly to me and I don't mean to offend, this is like arguing that white people can't eat fried chicken and black people can't eat pancakes, but white people can eat pancakes and black people can eat fried chicken cause duuuuuuuh that just makes sense... and if they don't they're gay or some shit. I just don't understand the point.

17. Una

Una Well-Known Member

There are always going to be people who go for or against gender norms. Every one is different, no matter what gender they are. Am I saying that boys and girls who go against the gender norms are better or that boys and girls that go for gender norms are just being brainwashed?

No. I'm only saying that people should ask themselves and think about why there are gender norms in the first place. Why there are things that labelled for boys or girls only. Is is because boys and girls go that way on their own or are they pushed into that certain direction?

Well, that's all I'm going to say about the subject because I do think we are way off-topic now.

18. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    May say this on the off topic now. I think gender norms should be go against all the time. I remember a petition to Hasbro about Easy-Bake ovens where they are pink. A young boy wanted to have his own Easy-bake oven but not have it pink but grey instead. His sister ran successful petition against Hasbro resulting in making Easy-bake ovens grey or pink. I think this notion that girls like only My Little Pony or Barbie is a false one and boys like only GI Joe and Legos is just the same. It is ignoring potential demographics for a market.

Like with Transformers I still don't see the real need to have a gender that does not serve a biological function. If nature wanted us to reproduce asexually the human race will be genderless species.

19. Spartan0996

Spartan0996 Island Devil

For all we know... the bots of Caminus could totally reproduce with robot genitals. They EVOLVED to having female robots so... who knows what's really under Windblade's crotch plate afterall o_O 

20. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I claim that Transformers are in fact physically genderless. Bilogical reproduction does not exist. However, their personality attributes are similar to humans on Earth. The Transformer that acts and sounds like a human female is labelled female. Whereas a Transformer that acts and sounds like an effeminate man would still be classed as male.